what size rucksack?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

what is the size of your MOST USED rucksack, for 3 day trips

• Total voters

scallywag

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 22, 2008
Europe
most of the time I use my Arizzon Wolverine W50 Monolith (50L). When I need sth smaller I just compress it, when sth bigger no probs with attaching pouches or a small bag.

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
hello everyone
i use a 75L karrimore

just wondering where everyone else keep their sleeping bag as mine is kept inside of my rucksack but it take a lot of space up this is why i use a Karrimor SF Sabre 75 Rucksack

cheers

mark

I put mine into a side pocket with my hammock. I've a snugpak softie 9 sleeping bag which compresses down to 19c x 21cm a bit less if you're really ruthless.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Just voted in the 41-50 group because i have two rucksacks i use most - a Granite Gear Vapour Trail which has a 50 lt capacity and a golite jam, which has a 40 lt capacity. Both are lightweight packs and if I am out for 3 days or more, then I am usually on a walk, rather than staying put - and, therefore, more likely to be going down the lightweight route. if i thought I'd be out for 3 days plus in the one spot, then I'd take my ancient jaguar 60.

skaus84

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 15, 2008
Liverpool UK
100ltr PLCE bergan with 2 daysacks makes it upto about 120ltrs. Very rarely use the day sacks, cannot even remember where they are! Bergen is usually only about half to three quaters full carrying all kit and food. Looking to lighten the load and get a smaller sack, but will wait til I have all the kit I need for my walk, then buy the best bag for the job!

bandel4

Forager
Nov 19, 2008
Malaysia
www.sepuh-crafts.com
Newbie here...but I love me packs.
I use a Macpac Tekapo 45+ (not in production anymore), In the Malaysian bush, not much to bring I suppose.
My kit generally consist of hammock with mosquito netting, tarp, parang, brew kit (with fire starter etc), a Mora, headtorch, strings, FA Kit, some cordage, whistle, compass and a set of dry clothing.
Then again it all depends on how long I will be in the bush as well. If its extended, then it may include more ration. Then I will turn to my 65L Macpac.

Its Macpac all the way for me :)

http://my-rainforest-adventures.blogspot.com/

Aussiepom

Forager
Jun 17, 2008
Mudgee, NSW
I use a Golite Jam. It has an odd designation of 32L + 7L, which basically means that it has an expanding section of an extra 7L which folds away when not in use. I've never yet had to use this extra capacity. However, I recently bought an undercover for my hammock and it looks as if I'll have a hard time fitting it in. Then again, I will be able to ditch the foam pad.

Last trip out I actually tried a 25L Golite Ion. It was as light as a feather, but:

1) It was a real sqeeze to fit everything - my outer shell was outside.
2) I was ground dwelling, so no hammock
3) V. thin sleeping bag (summer here in Australia)

harryhaller

Settler
Dec 3, 2008
Bruxelles, Belgium
most of the time I use my Arizzon Wolverine W50 Monolith (50L). When I need sth smaller I just compress it, when sth bigger no probs with attaching pouches or a small bag.

Just bought one:)

Compressed down, with lid moved down onto the back it looks like a 35l rucksack - fully opened it can handle 70l.

Add the the 2 pouches and you've got a 90l rucksack.

And you've got all those straps to attach things to...

Feb 19, 2009
US
How many liters is a medium military alice pack? Thanks! And why do you guys go by liters, you fill your pack with water or somethin? :p j/k

usarmyfl

Bulldog

Mar 26, 2009
kent
BERGEN
British army PLCE issue DPM Infantry pattern bergen with side pouches 125 ltr

This contains
Sleeping bag
Sleeping mat
10 meters of rope
Machette
Spare clothes, gloves, wolley hat.
Cammo net
Poncho
Maglite 3 batt with spare batteries
2 58 water bottles
Rations

58 WEBBING
Containing

Survival tin
Mess tins
2 58 water bottles one with mug.
Para cord 3 bundles
Poncho with bungees
Small folding shovel
Rabbit snares and purse nets
Fishing kit
First Aid kit
Hexamin stove and tablets
Puri tabs and filter straw
Fire steel and tinder
Rations
Mauro Frost knife
Kukri
Knife ,fork, spoon
Multi tool
Candles
Cam cream

Theres more i cant think of without upacking everything , although i dont camp for long periods i like to take plenty of kit if nothing else to see if im still up to lugging it about LOL

TyroTarper

Jul 17, 2007
Loughborough
How do I cope. I don't carry anything I don't need and carry minature versions of what I do need. E.g. a Leatherman Micro does for most repairs (don't need can openers or big blades to build shelters). Frogg Togg Waterproofs, etc

madcow

Feb 19, 2009
Netherlands
115 ltr over here :p

Tasmanian tiger range pack.

not that i carry a lot of stuff but i just don't use any compression sacks, and leave every thing really bulky.

tarp + ridge line 10 meters
hammock
sleapingbag
3x 1 ltr bottles + 2 ltr camel bag empty most of the time till I make camp.
axe
Buck saw + laplander
knife + spoon knife
billy can + SS mug
food (and lots off it :) )
fire kit (fire steel + tinderbox )
First Aid kit
a few other bits ( a couple of chem lights, cordage, )

come think off it maybe 1/3 off my pack is filled with food, maybe if I where to pack only food for my self, I wouldn't have to carry such a large pack.

naa like it this way.

oh yeah, the weight depend on the amount off food in it :) but most of the time its a round 18 to 20 kg.give or take a few kg for clothing in bad weather

Bas

carnegos

Nov 18, 2009
Kernow
www.rafdavidstowmoor.org
Whether I'm out for a couple of nights or a couple of weeks I usually use a 100 litre PLCE Bergan which I fill to the top with 'just in case' items, extra clothing, wet food, etc. Of course I am always carrying too much weight and it can be a nightmare traveling any distance.

I've been thinking recently of downsizing to a Pro Force Trooper 65 litre 'sack (fits my 6' 4" body better than my long back Bergan) to try and cut down on the amount I carry, but after reading through this thread and some others on BCUK I've changed my mind.

Today I decided to get out my 20 litre daysack and try and pack it with bits for a three-nighter. Amazingly I've got everything in!

So I'm off out tonight with only the following:

3mx3m Tarp
Bivi bag
Sleeping bag (well compressed!)
Sleeping bag liner (often used as scarf/head covering)
Hammock
Tree huggers
Assorted Paracord
Dog food tin hobo stove
Folding saw
Knife
Ferro rod
Crusader cup & lid
2x Boil in the bag flavoured rice
Teabags, coffee, tobacco, lighter, mobile, book, sunglasses.
Dried birch polypore (false tinder fungus) from a previous bimble (discovered today that it catches a spark beautifully)
Sleeping mat (strapped outside)

Total packed weight is about 5kg. :)

I have a little bit of space left to fit in a few more 'boil-in-the-bags', water bottle and alcohol stove if I really was off for a few days and I could easily create more space by removing the hammock & huggers (but I do like to hammock where possible).

Tent pegs, bivi poles & spoon I'll make as required. Tinder I'll collect whilst walking and keep in a pocket to dry out.

I'm now thinking of buying a 40-45 litre 'sack for all excursions during spring/summer allowing me to have all of the above plus waterproofs, spare clothing and beer!

All of you using large 'sacks should grab a small bag and try and pack it with only the essential items and see for yourselves how small a space you really need.

Pepperana

Dec 3, 2009
Netherlands
Wo only 5 KG . I almost cant believe it.
What kinda hammock-Sleeping bag en Tarp do you have. They are almost 3 KG alone in my kit.
DDhammock, Austrian Tarp and Snugpag sleeping bag.

cappi

Life Member
Nov 15, 2008
hautes pyrenees,france
Generly for me the terrain governs the amount of kit i need to carry up here in the pyrenees mountains in france their is no mobile phone coverage so the question is total self reliance on your own so for a normal 3 day bushcraft you need to plan for 1week min full med kits xtra food ,any way the full monty.WHEN i am out hunting during the season just for the day the kit carried is in a 60ltr sac.When i am out with the family up high it is now a donkey to support us all.

Outdoor_Guy

Jul 17, 2010
UK
www.paracordbracelet.co.uk
I only have two main packs. One is just enough to carry 5 Litres of water a survival kit, penny stove, food and first aid kit. I normally clip all the extras on the outside. But I like to keep things small. Have a massive pack as well which I used for looong hikes (over three days).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE