what size rucksack?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

what is the size of your MOST USED rucksack, for 3 day trips

• Total voters
my most used pack at the moment is a 110litres BERGANS "alpinist(escape?)*. but that includes two large removeable sidepockets and an also removeable second topcover(pocket). and my trips have been longer than 3days(up to 12so far)-so most of it was food. and as i do all my trips solo and in slightly more remote areas than UK i have to carry any extra gear like binoculars etc. by myself and also have some emergency gear with me as i do not expect any help other than from myself in case something goes wrong. the maximum load incl. backpack was ca. 30kg so far (without having any problems!) ...
but it did also shorter trips(up to 3weeks) in europe with much smaller(ca. 35l +bits and pieces in my pockets and a small shoulder bag) backpacks! but then i knew the area vey well... .

*not sure which one exactly-2very similar models!

"disappointed by the monkeys, god created man. then he renounced to further experiments." mark twain

saddle_tramp

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 13, 2008
West Cornwall
bob yak trailer everytime!

tho in it, goes a alpiniste 65 and a munro, neither stuffed but there all the same. oh and a carradice saddle bag on the bike, and a improvised rod quiver made from an old 44 pat chest rig, erm oh and a 5 litre catering brown sauce jug, lol..... all adds up to lots of litres. thank god i dont have to carry it all on my back

O

oaksy

Sabre 45 with or without side pouches...I can get everything i need into it...Its not to big not to small, just right...

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I have just changed jobs, sadly that meant giving back most of my outdoor gear - inluding my Sabre 45 & Sabre 60 -100 :( .

I found that the Sabre45 was on occassion a tad small for my needs, but the sabre 60 -100 was way too big and heavy (almost 4kg empty). Because of its size, it challenged me to fill it, meaning I was carrying far too much!

Anyway, I have decided to replace them both with one sac and have bought a Sabre75 as it gives the best of both worlds. Ordered it from Woodlore :rolleyes: (they were cheaper than Tamarack even with my 15% FM discount) on a Friday and recieved it next day for no extra charge - very impressive customer service:D !

First impressions are positive - I especially like the full length pocket that takes an SFA.

Simon

Aug 18, 2008
Derry N.I
I use a NorthFace Bigshot I think its only about 35LRTS

Theres lots of from spacious conpartments.

I like to travel light

Basically I get the following into my rucksack

Snugpak Softie 3
Snugpak Bivi
Thermarest Prolite 4
Spare Baselayers
Mess tins ( 2 )
Water proof trousers
Handsaw
Axe
Gloves Hat and Scarf
Knife
Change of socks and underwear.

Im pretty sure thats all I carry
Apart from the times In in the mountains I carry my rope ( 35m)

Just carry the odd small accessory on my person

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
I've gone from an issue 120 litre bergen down to a Sabre 45 and that's enough kit for 3/4 days hiking or camping.
However, i'm going to upgrade to a Sabre 75 shortly for longer distance hikes ergo need a few more bits for emergencies

a12jpm

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 15, 2008
Perthshire
Very simillar experience. Used to use a ex-issue 120ltr crammed full. After a 13mile hike, a munro and 2 epic blisters managed to get the pack down to a 55ltr lowe alpine skyline with room to spare. Very sore lesson learned.

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
i use a VERY old PLCE bergan. i think it must be one of the first PLCEs coz it has the metal buckles from a para bergan and has no belt. i never use side pockets, i dont need the room and also the zips are upside down lol and it didnt come with matching pouches so the newer ones i have got fit the wrong way up.
my kit is farly bulky but not heavy, i prefer to have room to spare rather than cram it into a small pack. i make a bed role, basicly have my sleeping bag and role mat in my bivi bag roled up ready to go. this takes up alot of room. i dont cary many luxuries just tarp, cooking pot, sometimes a stove, sometimes an axe, knife, waterbottle and mug, spork, FAK and food.

pete

MikeE

Sep 12, 2005
Essex
Usually too big or too small!!
I nearly always mis-match the pack to my needs, you'd think I'd got the hang by now!
I generally go too big and cinch the compression straps down. Makes for a comfy, stable carry with extra capacity if I need it!:D

grebo247365

Tenderfoot
Jan 14, 2007
Grimsby, Lincolnshire, GB.
Sabre 60-100 for me also, slightly weighter (about 4KG) than a standard trekking pack of similar proportions but very robust with excellent padding where it counts to compensate for the weight.
I carry about the same kit I did in my old 65l lowe alpine pack which went on many week long trips but its much easier to pack with the added volume available and all the external straps are ace for lashing additional gear to the outside, I haven't even needed the plce side pockets yet.

Nelis

Forager
Mar 9, 2007
Oudenbosch
OK I voted a an 100+ liter rucksack, this would probably need some explanation.

I have a dutch army saracen rucksack, basically because I'm reasonably tall, and this one fitted the best. It is very seldom full and when it is full, it would be in the winter, and it would be because of my XXXXXXXXXXXXXXL large fleece sweater with windstopper.

Basically when you're a big guy everything else you carry is also somewhat larger then normal.

For instance something that also takes up a lot of room is the sleeping bag (also dutch army). Primaraly chosen for its generous size.

For the rest my kit will probably match what most of you carry, its just the clothes, sleeping bag, hammock and tarp that are probably bigger than normal.

Templar

Forager
Mar 14, 2006
Can Tho, Vietnam (Australian)
I use my 50Lt sniper pack (brown) most (see here: http://www.platatac.com/www/182/1001127/displayproduct/1017224_1023950_.html ) (no connection)

After so many years living and working in the jungle I learned what I really need and what I dont... once you pare down your kit to this you can live with very little kit...

My list:
-hammock
-softie 3 sleeping bag
-bivvi bag
- 2x nato bottles
-crusader cup
- GB SFA
-FAK
-hootchie
-swedish messkit
-folding saw
etc, etc.... and food for 4 days...

this list will depend on the time of year of course...

Cheers...
Karl

soa_uk

Forager
Jul 12, 2005
Highlands
I currently use a abre 45 (but am trying to get hold of a Vulcan). I rarely walk for long distances, but a Nanok bag, an underquilt, a hammock, midge net, Hex Fly.... take up a lot of *room* - not weight...

This is my standard jungle kit list.

Worn:
  • 1 pair long trousers
  • 1 long sleeved shirt
  • 1 pair socks
  • 1 pair of boots
  • 1 pair briefs
  • 1 belt 1"
  • 1 belt, cord
  • 1 hat

In Pockets:
  • 1 sharpening stone
  • 1 BIC lighter
  • I.D.
  • Minimal cash

On Belt:
  • 1 bolo
  • 1 Drinksafe canteen

In my day-pack sized sturdy rucksack:
  • 500g of rice per 24h (really 300g suffices even with moderate exercise)
  • 1 flashlight, LED, head mounted; plus spare batteries
  • 1 T-shirt
  • 1 pair shorts
  • 1 pair socks
  • 1 pair briefs
  • 1 plastic shopping bag
  • 1 toothbrush
  • A little loo roll
  • 1 DEET spray
  • 1 string hammock, inc 20+ft 3mm Spectra cored line
  • 50m length Dyneema reel
  • 2 fish-hooks
  • 1 small first aid kit

Strapped Onto Pack:
  • 1 pair of Crocs (cheap clones)
  • 1 poncho

In a cooler climate, I might add a tent, bivi, sleeping bag and half a sleep mat or or HH Asym Ultralight. Maybe a cookset and some rations if I can't be allowed to make a fire as I wish and gather food. Plus certainly a Ventile poncho replacing the poncho and maybe a jumper. The Crocks get left behind if it's dry.

Therefore, cold weather adds a lot of extra weight, but in the jungle I can get by with a 16L daysack, though I prefer my 30L golite bungied flat, so I can rummage around.

crwydryny

Tenderfoot
Oct 1, 2008
south wales
depends on what I'm doing if I'm going for a short trip (in my local area) then I use my small pack which is basically an austrailian army webbing pouch which I have fixed to the back of the yoke instead of the belt. it's only about 10 litres but it's big enough for a tarp, hammock, survival pouch with basic survival equipment, knife, parang large first aid kit, rope (with climbing kit always useful) and 2 litres of water. if I plan on going where forreging or hunting would be hard then I make sure to pack a few rations but I try to keep it to the minimum.

if I'm going for a longer trip (more than a week or two) then I take my 100 litre back pack which came with the webbing (hey for £10 you can't say better than that) though I only use that when I need to pack extra kit such as food and cloathing or when I'm going with a group of people not experienced in bushcraft and need the extra gear such as tent and extra food. but if I'm on my own I can usually make do with the small pack. I could probably make do with what I carry in my pocket and on my belt but there's no point in tempting fate after all it's better to have the kit and not need it than to need it and find you haven't got it (I've found that out the hard way more times than I care to count)

grimstead

Tenderfoot
Apr 1, 2008
wolverhampton
hello everyone
i use a 75L karrimore

just wondering where everyone else keep their sleeping bag as mine is kept inside of my rucksack but it take a lot of space up this is why i use a Karrimor SF Sabre 75 Rucksack

cheers

mark

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE