what size rucksack?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

what is the size of your MOST USED rucksack, for 3 day trips

• Total voters

abushcrafter

Nomad
Aug 23, 2007
Chilterns
please vote

what is the size of your most used rucksack? :rolleyes: For 3 day trips?
40 or smaller please state how you cope?__100L what is in there ? please state how you cope with the weight? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
40-45L karrimor something. Usually rammed in winter so I can't claim to be in the sub-41L elite!
Below 40L in summer and never anything except my axe on the outside.

big_daddy_merc

Forager
Apr 9, 2007
chesterfield
80L if I'm expecting to be out 24+ hours, can get everything I need i plus space for things I don't lol, only wanted a 75L but the 80L was only a quid more expensive lol

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I've done 3 days with a maxpedition jumbo versipack and a lumbar pack (probably totalling about 25l)
most of the time I'll use about 45l
I've done the bushmoot each year with a pack about that size and that was 4-5 days.

at that point you don't need a bigger pack unless you can't re-supply with food.

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
when I was younger I always took a karrimor 30l sac but now I'm older and wiser and also taking a 10 year old autistic son with me I carry a 100l sac (we both like our comfort)
In the 30l sac I carried :-
a bivi bag
a 3 season down sleeping bag
a survival tin (standard) no extras
a fallkniven S1
a leatherman supertool
a 1 pint kelly kettle
a stainless steel mug
a stainless steel pot/dish/washbowl
a spork
a clipper lighter
spare socks and pants
a poncho ex army This doubles up as a basha
and thats was about it( food would vary greatly each trip but usually about 2-3lbs of mixed dry stuff)

now the only thing we don't take is an electrical extension
But we are getting lighter as my son is discovering the joysof bushcraft

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
I use a 35l, in winter or summer, when climbing and/or bushcrafting. Pretty easy. Sometimes I think I could get away with an axe, knife, and firelighting equip, plus nightline stuff and snare wire, but I don't have a desire to travel very light so I take more stuff like food etc.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
PLCE bergen and side pooches, toppers with swag, plus my old canvas swedish bag, probably another 30 litres which is my day kit for carrying about so cooking gear and FAK, etc. I usually get Ratbag to carry half of my gear, he's a big lad! :D

Seriously though, this is what I take for a meet where there isn't point to point routes to the next camp site and you need to carry all of your swag. If I was tramping about, it'd be the PLCE. It has hods of room and lashing points on the outside to lash your kip mat in place. A few pockets on it as well for the kit you want to get at easily, it really is a good bit of kit and very robust and affordable.

abushcrafter

Nomad
Aug 23, 2007
Chilterns
when I was younger I always took a karrimor 30l sac but now I'm older and wiser and also taking a 10 year old autistic son with me I carry a 100l sac (we both like our comfort)
In the 30l sac I carried :-
a bivi bag
a 3 season down sleeping bag
a survival tin (standard) no extras
a fallkniven S1
a leatherman supertool
a 1 pint kelly kettle
a stainless steel mug
a stainless steel pot/dish/washbowl
a spork
a clipper lighter
spare socks and pants
a poncho ex army This doubles up as a basha
and thats was about it( food would vary greatly each trip but usually about 2-3lbs of mixed dry stuff)

now the only thing we don't take is an electrical extension
But we are getting lighter as my son is discovering the joysof bushcraft

your 1st post I see, welcome :)

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
88L. In it I'll get my tent, sleeping bag, sleep mat, change of clothes, spare shoes (I like to swap out of my boots when relaxing in camp), water, cooking stuff, food, torches, batteries, first aid kit, tools, camera and a couple of books. All you need for a long weekend basically. It all goes into a forces 88 and fits well. if it's a lot colder and I want some spare warm clothes then the tent goes on the outside. Next time I load it up I'll weigh it.

Dr Onion

Forager
Mar 28, 2007
By Yon Bonnie Banks
Sabre 600-100L

Only rucksack I own. Big enough to take everything but you can tie in all the straps to make the pack as small or as big (in the 60-100L range) as you desire! So generally ~ 70L

Dr O

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE