What makes a good Match Striker?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Just refilling my cuorisily strong mint match box, and thought really could use a striker. At the moment I just cut the box sides, and drop them in.

Any ideas?

Plan was originally to glue sandpaper on bottom. Anyone any idea what grade the box sides are, or if one grade is better than the other. Would just guess, of the top of my head, that sandpaper is better than wet, and dry.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Assuming you are using 'non safety' matches - wet and dry glued to the side works well - I have taken to using 'anti slip tape' kinda rough sellotape that you use to stick to stairs and the like;) It works a treat:D

If you have problems getting something give me a shout and i'll post you a bit;)

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
The purpose is to create enough friction and heat to ignite the two compounds on the match heads. So any fine grade of sandpaper will work. The coarser grades can wear away your match heads before you get them lit.

I've made a number of match holders by cutting down Prince Albert tobacco cans. (Pull the bottom loose and off, cut the can about an inch below the lid, and then press the sides back into the bottom and re-crimp.) The stamped in name on the bottom of those cans will work well as a match striker, but it needs to be roughed up a bit first - or rusted a bit. I sand it down a bit to get through the "tin" coating, and then let nature "rust" those raised letters a bit. Then it works well. But some people just glue that strip of fine grade sand paper on the bottoms.

When I have problems finding Strike Anywhere matches and can only find those "safety" strike-on-box matches, I cut that strip off the box and glue a strip of it on the bottom of those Match Safes.

Historical note: Some of those tobacco companies made "sample" sized cans for sale. They were only around 1 to 1 1/2 inches tall. After you "sampled" their tobacco, you could then use the can/tin as a match safe. Prince Albert works well because they have their name printed across the top of each side of their cans. So when you cut it down, you still have that name showing. They ... balance out ... artistically. Those from other companies don't work out so well artistically, but still work well for cutting down.

Just a few humble thoughts to share. Take them as such.

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

p.s. I also have cut down some of those Prince Albert cans to just tall enough to hold cartridges for my pistol and rifle. So when out hunting, I just put a can with 8 shells in it into my pocket for a re-load when necessary (45 Long Colt). It keeps those shells from bouncing around loose in my pocket or hunting bag. And it also keeps those 22 shells a little more ... contained.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Good, heavens, Mike... Striking a match on a Prince Albert sounds painful! Mind you, so does the thing itself ;)

LOL :lmao:

Have loads of wet, and dry, and sandpaper, I think it is breding. This looks like an experiment that needs doing. Have to go on that fun search for strike anywhere matches so when I get them will try this out.

Boatswain

Tenderfoot
May 18, 2007
South London
I generally carry my matches in an old 35mm film container with a bit of foam top and bottom to stop the matches rattling about. I keep the striker in the container between the foam and the lid and the matches head down. I'm really quite paranoid about loose matches catching fire accidentally. I can't see the point really of keeping the matches in a waterproof box and then sticking the striker on the outside.

Cheers

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
LOL :lmao:

Have loads of wet, and dry, and sandpaper, I think it is breding. This looks like an experiment that needs doing. Have to go on that fun search for strike anywhere matches so when I get them will try this out.

Not hard to find mate, try Swan Vesta or Englands Glory. They are stike anywhere matches. (pink not brown heads).

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
I generally carry my matches in an old 35mm film container with a bit of foam top and bottom to stop the matches rattling about. I keep the striker in the container between the foam and the lid and the matches head down. I'm really quite paranoid about loose matches catching fire accidentally. I can't see the point really of keeping the matches in a waterproof box and then sticking the striker on the outside.

Cheers

What I used to do, but matches are for easy, and not for got to start a fire.

Wonder if any has had that happen? People always warned about it but never heard of it happening.

Not hard to find mate, try Swan Vesta or Englands Glory. They are stike anywhere matches. (pink not brown heads).

Last lot I bought were Englands. They do seem to be getting harder to find, but are local supermarket always seems to have them.

Which reminds me what I forgot to get today, Doh!

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
What I used to do, but matches are for easy, and not for got to start a fire.

Wonder if any has had that happen? People always warned about it but never heard of it happening.

Last lot I bought were Englands. They do seem to be getting harder to find, but are local supermarket always seems to have them.

Which reminds me what I forgot to get today, Doh!

Why don't you get a box of those cooks matches, there are loads in a box and i think they are strike anywhere too.

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
Why don't you get a box of those cooks matches, there are loads in a box and i think they are strike anywhere too.
Those are the ones I usually use, but be aware that they sell both "safety" and "strike anywhere" versions, in almost identical boxes.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE