What is it?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Hey

I think its that box where a spider keeps his eggs until the small babyspiders comes out! :!: :?: :wink:

Andy
Vikingpower

Infragreen

Tenderfoot
Jan 9, 2006
Denmark
It looks like a Fuligo Septica.

A Slime mold also known as (brace yourselves)...

Dog's Vomit (or Troll Butter etc.)

Not exactly a fungus and not exactly an animal, it can move about.

Rob

Need to contact Admin...
The mystery thickens, but hopefully with some more information about it.

I checked out Fuligo Septica but i dont think that it is that.

I have just been out in the woods to check on another couple that Mel and I have spotted in the last few days. To our surprise we have quite a few stages of its life on display in various places. I will go and take some pics tomorrow.

To start with, they look like the picture that I first posted. Next stage seems to be almost egg shell like (sometimes almost a blue tint). Then brown areas (the colour of quite a light cramp ball / drinking chocolate) start to appear from the base of the body - with patches slowly covering all the surface until it is all brown.

Final stage seems to be sporing. The entire body turns to the consistancy of very fine powdered drinking chocolate, holds shape and slowly blows away / gets knocked off.

Back tomorrow with some pics.

bilko

Settler
May 16, 2005
SE london
I was going to say it looked like someone had thrown their Bannock mix in fustration at not being able to get the fire going. Be interested to see your new pictures.

familne

Dec 20, 2003
Fife
I agree with Infragreen, looks like some type of slime mould. It could be Enteridium lycoperdon, this is what the 'Encyclopedia of Fungi of Britain & Europe' has to say:

" Comparatively large, cushion-like, whitish bodies with a somewhat rubbery feel, breaking down to reveal reddish-brown spore mass; on dead wood generally , though often still standing"

Here's a pic I found on the web:

Reticularialycoperdon.jpg

Described as "soft to the touch as if filled with fluid"

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE