What is a Literature Review?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Me working on my dissertation and its suggested I have one of these.

I assume its just assessing the books written on the subject, yes?

I bought a load of books on horn and bone working with my Xmas money...

XRV John

Nomad
Jan 23, 2015
Scunthorpe
A literature review is where you read relevant books and peer reviewed journals to find data or opinions on the subject of your thesis. Note this does not usually include dodgy articles from the internet! This isually helps you frame the terms of reference for any primary research you then do.

You them discuss a selection of these references usually describing alternative positions and then discuss your conclusion and final position based on your literature review and any primary research you undertook to test the hypotheses you found in your research.

Hope this makes sense

John

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Yeoman13

Nov 29, 2017
Canada
I don't think XRV's reply could be improved upon.
My ex wife was an academic and often the lit review was the longest phase of her research projects.

XRV John

Nomad
Jan 23, 2015
Scunthorpe
The mantra taught to me was "Go wide, go narrow, go specific"

Go wide = the literature review to show you have read widely and researched all the options and considerations

Go narrow = either start to reduce the number based on either (a) your arguments or (b) the findings of your primary research e.g. questionnaires or observations from within your group or organisation

Go specific = your conclusion based on the evidence you have presented and your arguments

Good luck

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I was given some interesting advice by my prof. when I was studying "remember, in a couple of month's time you'll have the same qualification as the author of that book; don't be afraid to question them or even disagree with them". :)
Of course, what learnt later was that experience and application were also important!

Reactions: XRV John and Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE