Recommendation for a good insect identification book.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I bought two this Summer, and both are far too limited. Fine if all you want are moths and butterflies, but I want insects like beetles, from bright green or red to black and snozzle faced, and wee flies, and grubs and larvae and pupae. Bees would be brilliant too, woodwasps, etc., and the waterside ones as well.

I specificially want something UK, because you know ? I live here and this is where I spot insects and wonder what that one is. I'm sure something found in Greece or Italy is fascinating, but in a Scottish garden/woodland, there really isn't a preponderance of things that actually bite and sting. Scorpions don't do well in these airts, iimmc ?

I find myself reluctant to buy any more books without a decent heads up on them.

Does anyone have some thing really good ? useful ? and appropriate to here ?

cheers,
M

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Collins Complete Guide To British Insects, ive been using a copy for years and find it to be very good.

Bit of a blurry photo, but a random page from this book, this one was True Flies, it also has bugs and beetles, aphids, caterpillars, butterflies and moths, damselflies, etc etc.

53232108741_f6a98e1c11_b.jpg
[/url]

Last edited:
Reactions: Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Reactions: Kepis

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I have quite a few but this one is by far the best. It's no pocket book, over 600 pages, 1653 species. This series of books is fantastic; I've just bought the Spiders one :)

It's worth bearing in mind though, there are nearly 25,000 insects in Britain - no book can come close to covering them all and a great many are unidentifiable unless you are prepared to examine genitalia under a microscope!

Insect Book.jpg

insect classification.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Thank you kindly but my book buying budget's fairly healthy.....and Christmas is coming :)

I had great hopes from the Gibbons one that @Kepis mentioned above, but it's just not giving me enough answers, which was a bit of a blight.

Reactions: Broch

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE