Unissued British Enfield No.4 MK2 .303 1955

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
It may well have been a different meaning of "Scout" Gray, Geoff Cooper only came up with his meaning in the 80s, so it doesn't seem unlikely.

We (my wife and I) do enjoy our shooting, and I like the historical aspects of shooting :) Shooters are a nice bunch and I have been lucky enough to be offered the opportunity to get "hands on" with some fantastic pieces of history. Some are truly iconic - be they broom handle Mausers (the "Lawrence of Arabia" gun), flintlock "Baker rifles" (as used at Waterloo) or Colt Dragoons.

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Scouser living in Salford South UK
It may well have been a different meaning of "Scout" Gray, Geoff Cooper only came up with his meaning in the 80s, so it doesn't seem unlikely.

We (my wife and I) do enjoy our shooting, and I like the historical aspects of shooting :) Shooters are a nice bunch and I have been lucky enough to be offered the opportunity to get "hands on" with some fantastic pieces of history. Some are truly iconic - be they broom handle Mausers (the "Lawrence of Arabia" gun), flintlock "Baker rifles" (as used at Waterloo) or Colt Dragoons.
Wow, fantastic. Really jealous now :)

MAin factor for a scout rifle to me is the type and mounting of the scope this is usually a no/low power 1x - 2x max pistol scope with long eye relief mounted well fwds this allows shotgun style both eyes open shooting and fast tracking of targets as opposed to locking you into a the small world thro a high power scope
this goes with the short light rifle
used to run my lever action 44 mag like this very fast rate of very accurate fire on multiple targets

http://jeffcoopersscoutrifles.blogspot.co.uk/

so tho red has the Rifle Styer designed and made as the scout to me his scope choice stops it being a Scout concept rifle :p

heres how its supposed to work

scout-rifle.jpg

Dave-the-rave

Settler
Feb 14, 2013
minsk
I think the term scout may have been referring to the scope or the sights that was on the one i was shown, it was defo an enfield .303 converted to 7.62 and described as a sniper rifle but it was a long time ago in the 80s and the memory isnt what it used to be.

Thanks for the info BR, fantastic knowledge base you have of which i am deeply envious. A lot of memories being dug up here for me, good and bad.

This it mate?...

XBL43-T-F2-L.jpg

This was British Army issue snipers rifle during my time in the 80's. It's basically a 7.62 calibre Lea Enfield with less furniture.
The scope in that pic was the issued job with only x4 magnification. The thinking was that optics magnify shooter error so magnification
was kept minimal. That plus British snipers didn't live in Hollywood so they weren't training for head shots at stupid ranges like in the movie's.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
......he scope in that pic was the issued job with only x4 magnification. The thinking was that optics magnify shooter error so magnification
was kept minimal. That plus British snipers didn't live in Hollywood so they weren't training for head shots at stupid ranges like in the movie's.

Ironically real life now (1990s on) is shots in excess of a mile. This was the previous record held by a Canadian sniper www.snipercountry.com/Articles/KillingShot_2430Metres.asp It has since been surpassed by a British sniper but I still can't find that link.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland

mrostov

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Texas
I had one of those unissued Enfields still in the cosmoline. A huge shipment of them came into the USA back in the 1990's and I paid $175, complete with it's original, unissued bayonet. It didn't have a bayonet frog with it though. It was a beautiful rifle. The ammo was expensive and not that common, though. I swapped it for a professional engine rebuild on my jeep.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I had one of those unissued Enfields still in the cosmoline. A huge shipment of them came into the USA back in the 1990's and I paid $175, complete with it's original, unissued bayonet. It didn't have a bayonet frog with it though. It was a beautiful rifle. The ammo was expensive and not that common, though. I swapped it for a professional engine rebuild on my jeep.

The ammo wasn't that common---then. Right now it's easier to find than 223 or 308.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Plenty to be had over here - its almost all boxer primed now too which is nice - makes reloading easier!

A member here kindly donated me two bayonets for mine - one complete with frog. I was delighted to pick up a frog for the other period correct one the other day - for the princely some of £2. That leaves me with only four items to find to complete my Lee Enfield set up to fully complete :) They are real obscure ones though and only one is a standard issue item (an original sling). The others are an armourers foresight adjustment tool (I have a full set of all 8 foresight elements - I want to do a true zero eventually for kicks). I would also like a 4T cheekpiece and Ian Skennertons seminal No 4 handbook. Everything else I have - from the brass oiler to a full set of parker hale aperture sights (as well as battle sights and a drop in scope mount).

It'll be a long term hunt as I can't afford to pay top dollar - but I hope to get it done eventually!

Chillistarr

Apr 24, 2012
Edinburgh
They are real obscure ones though and only one is a standard issue item (an original sling).

Wish I'd been a member and you'd posted this several months back - my dad used to have a No.4 converted to .410 and only recently gave away the 'pigsticker' and the canvas sling...just to encourage you they are still kicking about! Good luck with the search :)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thank you!

Pig stickers I have

Enfield No 4 Mk II and No 9 Mk 1 bayonet by British Red, on Flickr

Got a frog for the No.9 bayonet now...and funnily enough found a copy of the book last night so that's on its way :)

I have a period correct leather Garand sling currently fitted, which I prefer to the authentic webbing sling in shooting, but it would be nice to have a webbing sling as well

Enfield No 4 Mk 2 with No 9 Mk 1 bayonet by British Red, on Flickr

Must try and track down some more stripper clips at some point since they are getting harder to find now

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
Thank you!

Pig stickers I have

Enfield No 4 Mk II and No 9 Mk 1 bayonet by British Red, on Flickr

Got a frog for the No.9 bayonet now...and funnily enough found a copy of the book last night so that's on its way :)

I have a period correct leather Garand sling currently fitted, which I prefer to the authentic webbing sling in shooting, but it would be nice to have a webbing sling as well

Enfield No 4 Mk 2 with No 9 Mk 1 bayonet by British Red, on Flickr

Must try and track down some more stripper clips at some point since they are getting harder to find now

Very nice, BR! Thanks for sharing.

think i have 1 or 2 ????? with some 303 Blanks in ??

or

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WW1-WW2-B...Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item3a7fdf85ad

Cheek piece

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lee-Enfie...Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item58a231d820

Sling Several others on ebay but ruff

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OD-GREEN-...671?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4856ff3717

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
£15 for 5 strippers though Duncan - £3 for bit of bent steel???

The stuff is still out there for sure - but I wish I had bought more when you could buy strippers by the carrier bag full! I've got about 10 - and the same number of magazines (I did buy them when they were cheap!), but the strippers don't last forever in use. I'll probably buy a load from Aus in the end. Hang onto yours if you have use for em.

Slings are around but I'd like a mint one for not too much cash.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE