UK's largest stag shot dead on Exmoor

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
correct me if i'm wrong but isnt venison a very lean and healthy meat to eat? i managed to get some off my g/f's mum who works for the occado staff shop, i've never had it before and it was fantastic stuff! shame about the price tag though :(

As mentioned earlier venison is usually either very expensive or very inexpensive. Get to know your local deerstalkers ;)

mick miller

Jan 4, 2008
Herts.
There's a very simple reason why bucks are shot during the rut. They're all together chasing the hinds, grouping them up and not solitary. It also gives the stalker a much better chance to identify aged or weak animals and cull them accordingly.

This 'Emperor' had already passed on its genes many times over, no need to run the risk of interbreeding with its offspring and thereby weakening the gene pool. It's called deer management for a good reason.

mick miller

Jan 4, 2008
Herts.
Sorry I should have said stag not buck, bucks & does, stags & hinds. How remiss of me, tut.

The behaviour of both fallow and red during the rut is similar, dominant males chase and follow their successfully won females, younger males run around like maniacs trying to get their end away whilst the dominant male is distracted. Either way the whole lot are in close proximity for a short while allowing an overview of the local population and selective culling of weak or elderly individuals.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
WOW!!!...who'd have though it....there is more than one big deer out there....Holy cow Bat man!!!

Mojo

Umm thats "Holy DEER Bat man" a cow is a very different animal in deed, although thousands of those are killed and no one bats and eyelid, bet some are massive,and they dont taste as good as the new Emperor burger comming soon to a fast food out let near you soon(if you live on exmoor) in a limited edition antler inlaid box, shoot down today and hunt one out!!!!!

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
I shot the UKs biggest rat last night and when I got home I squashed the UKs biggest spider with my boot ......................

Mojoracinguk

Nomad
Apr 14, 2010
Hereford
Umm thats "Holy DEER Bat man"
No it isn't...

meh, it's just a big cow with fancy horns really isn't it.

I refer you to locum76 and his very acurate description....Infact now i've reposted the quote...i've read it twice and believe there is more truth to it than the sighting of the not dead/dead big cow with fancy horns.....I'm confussed...is this cow dead or not...Maybe they just removed his fancy horns in the middle of the night and now he's joined a small dairy herd near Gloucester (kind of witness protection)

long live the fancy cow!

Mojo

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I like the idea of a fancy cow, ive seen some fasion concious ones sporting long locks and horn in Scotland, and some in a 80s black and white color scheme, but neither were very fancy,

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
You should get a rudolf novelty reindeer hat with fancy horns for them. You might be able to bait some red coated hooray henrys and henriettas.

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
On the subject of giving away venison free to friends who are not an approved "Game Handling Establishment"...

Seems you can still give it away, but the hunter "Can only supply small quantities".

Does this qualify as a "small quantity"???

BearCamp062.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE