Too good to be true? - Aviation fuel from sewage!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Saw this on BBC, then saw it was reported elsewhere much earlier.

Short version, a high pressure reactor is used to turn sewage sludge into a crude oil-like liquid that can be distilled just like fossil crude oil to produce something they say is almost indistinguishable from standard aviation kerosene.

Huge implications if it can be industrialised.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
I saw that this morning.
Just from the innovation point of view it’s exciting.
Then my inner cynic kicked in!
I burn three tonnes of kerosene a year but I’m being told that I won’t be allowed to do that in a few years. I doubt that this will be developed any time soon

stonepark

Tenderfoot
Jun 28, 2013
Carse of Gowrie
Pipe dreams, when they stop the import of fertiliser (most likely by pricing it out of reach), all that sewage will be needed for the land.

Any modern idea that relys on a waste stream will disappear very quickly once things become difficult.

Reactions: Macaroon

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Pipe dreams, when they stop the import of fertiliser (most likely by pricing it out of reach), all that sewage will be needed for the land.

Any modern idea that relys on a waste stream will disappear very quickly once things become difficult.

It may be a pipe dream. However, resources rarely go where "needed", rather they go where the money is. If there is more money to be made by turning sewage into aviation fuel than there is in using it as fertilizer, that is what the majority of sewage will be used for.

I may be mis-reading your second paragraph. Taken with the first, it sounds like you don't think new things are worth trying to recycle or reuse waste because there may be some point in the future where they may no longer be viable. So, no point in recycling paper, or polyester, or aluminium, steel, copper, glass etc because one day things will get more "difficult" than they are now. Huh? Recycling all these things was once a modern idea...that relied upon waste streams. I think it could be argued that it has been better that we have been recycling them for the past X decades, even if in the next decade society collapses and we all go back to the dark ages.

The scams, cons and misleading campaigns associated with recycling particularly plastics are well known, and the idea of turning the sewage of a burgeoning urban population into fuel for internal combustion seems too good to believe. Like generating that 1.21GW using old banana skins! But I think it would be wonderful if it is so.

Last edited:

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I saw that this morning.
Just from the innovation point of view it’s exciting.
Then my inner cynic kicked in!
I burn three tonnes of kerosene a year but I’m being told that I won’t be allowed to do that in a few years. I doubt that this will be developed any time soon
No idea if the burning of kerosene is going to stop or not, but it’ll be supplied by oil barons until they're prevented from buying the decision to continue selling their oil.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE