Traditional Vs modern

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
Yeh don't get me wrong, I'm not against modern stuff. I have a nylon tarp etc. I'm no reenactor :)

If the opportunity came to me to walk the kings trail in Sweden for example, then my first thought would be 'I need a lighter pack'. But that would be primarily a walking holiday not a bushcraft one.

Sent from my phone.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
...Tabbing, hiking whatever you want to call it, it's just walking and you wont find a chapter in a bushcraft book on how to walk :)

Maybe not walking but "hiking" is definitely covered in THE bushcraft books:
1. The Scout Handbook
2. The Scout Fieldbook

Ay least in the older editions (1970s and before)

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Personally I use modern kit: titanium pot, silnylon tarp, hammock, etc. It makes the load lighter, but also enables me to practice skills from the Stone Age. I'm a 21st century bushcrafter and use the kit of my time, just like those in the 18th century used the most (high tech) kit available for them at the time.

'Traditional' is just what label you put on it. Some find canvas and leather traditional, that's perfectly okay. Others can be described as being more purist and find you should use kit / knowledge from the most earliest times: flint, no metal etc - also perfectly okay.

In the Stone Age man had flint tools. Later on metal was used. More later canvas was used and currently we have silnylon or spinnul / spinnex tarps, titanium pots and stainless steel knives. There's a constant evolution.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Modern, on balance. Traditional where it works best is great BUT tends to be heavier and bulkier though often more robust. If I have to carry it a reasonable distance, I'll generally go for the lightweight modern kit. Personally, I tend to try to avoid the cliche 'bushcraft look' - however, I do have a pair of Fjallraven trousers, a swanny and a wide brimmed hat! And, by the way, that's not a dig at those who dress that way all the time.

I guess I go along with the consensus really, in terms of just choosing the most appropriate item for the job.

reedobreezo

Oct 15, 2011
u.s.a.
In the event that life as we know it collapses and all technical knowledge is lost, then it would be a good idea to know how to use the "traditional" gear if you can recreate it. I personally cant. I think most of us cannot, so we would be left to scavenge whatever we can. Most often it will be what is left over from the most widely available stuff floating around, which is made from modern material. In the event that society continues as it has, then modern gear makes more sense. It is light, compact, works more efficient. If we are thrust into a survival situation and have no gear, or limited gear then i think the knowledge you have is more important than the time period of your kit. Having said that, if one likes canvas and leather, then one should use that. If one likes gps and silnylon then one should use that, because in the end its all about getting out there and having fun.

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
I am a bit of an old spirit for my age (20 y'old for those who do not know)
I try to judge gear on their performance, but esthetic's mean a great, and then i mean a
Great! deal to me. I will side with traditional gear 90% of the times as I love the feel of it and I don't mind carrying 30 pounds of gear more then I have to, I never liked the ultralight stuff as its just not my thing and instead of a 200 grams multifuel burner I will pack up a 2kg cast iron pan and a 700 grams Gransfors axe, it just suits me, but if they develop new gear, that has same esthetically value as the traditional stuff, I will side with that like some of the stuff Fjallraven as the feel to it is just right and the quality of the product is up to my standards, but being a prodcut developer myself I tend to find defects, or point of improvements everywhere and I will remake pretty much each product I get my hands on ^^

Yours sincerely, the man who packs way to much, but cares to little
aka Ruud

Ps its only 70 pounds you have to lug about ;)

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Like most on here I like and use a bit of both. But truth be told I'd love to go TOTALLY traditional. Yes the kit is heavy but in a truly "traditional" setting I'd have bearers to carry it.

Last edited:

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
I am a bit of an old spirit for my age (20 y'old for those who do not know)
I try to judge gear on their performance, but esthetic's mean a great, and then i mean a
Great! deal to me. I will side with traditional gear 90% of the times as I love the feel of it and I don't mind carrying 30 pounds of gear more then I have to, I never liked the ultralight stuff as its just not my thing and instead of a 200 grams multifuel burner I will pack up a 2kg cast iron pan and a 700 grams Gransfors axe, it just suits me, but if they develop new gear, that has same esthetically value as the traditional stuff, I will side with that like some of the stuff Fjallraven as the feel to it is just right and the quality of the product is up to my standards, but being a prodcut developer myself I tend to find defects, or point of improvements everywhere and I will remake pretty much each product I get my hands on ^^

Yours sincerely, the man who packs way to much, but cares to little
aka Ruud

Ps its only 70 pounds you have to lug about ;)

Not to sure what you mean by choosing things aesthetically.
Surely a rucksack will be on your back so how it looks will be of very little importance?
Same with clothes surely, if your wearing a jacket then your view of it is severely restricted?

I'm not criticising, purely curious as i'm pretty much the entire opposite, aesthetics mean absolutely nothing to me, to the point where whatever clothes are on the top of the pile in my cupboard are the ones i wear that day.

Cheers
Mark

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Like most on here I like and use a bit of both. But truth be told I'd love to go TOTALLY traditional. Yes the kit is heavy but in a truly "traditional" setting I'd have bearers to carry it.

Again not trying to be argumentative here, again 100% curious.

What will you gain by going totally traditional and what motivation does it offer?

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
There is a whole chapter in Kephart's book entitled how to walk

Ok I think that's four (someone will say 3) people to correct me on that point so well done. I stand corrected.

My main point (again) is that the argument that traditional gear is too heavy to be practical is not a valid one. It's only an issue if you're walking miles and miles day after day. In that case we're not talking about suitability for bushcraft purposes but rather suitability for hiking purposes. And then there is the issue of durability. Generally, modern gear of comparable durability to canvas stuff such as Kifaru is a similar weight to traditional stuff. I'm not saying traditional is better or vice versa, it's just whatever you prefer. Each to their own.

Sent from my phone.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Again not trying to be argumentative here, again 100% curious.

What will you gain by going totally traditional and what motivation does it offer?

Well the obvious gain of somebody else carrying the gear. But more realisticly it's mainly the nostalgia rather than any practical reason.

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
....And then there is the issue of durability. Generally, modern gear of comparable durability to canvas stuff such as Kifaru is a similar weight to traditional stuff.....

Actually traditional gear (if we're meaning leather and canvas) isn't very durable. It rots quickly. The ALICE pack on the other hand never ever rots. Althjough by today's standards it isn't especially light, it is when compared to a traditional heavyweight canvas pack on a wooden packframe.

Ok I think that's four (someone will say 3) people to correct me on that point so well done. I stand corrected.

My main point (again) is that the argument that traditional gear is too heavy to be practical is not a valid one. It's only an issue if you're walking miles and miles day after day. In that case we're not talking about suitability for bushcraft purposes but rather suitability for hiking purposes. And then there is the issue of durability. Generally, modern gear of comparable durability to canvas stuff such as Kifaru is a similar weight to traditional stuff. I'm not saying traditional is better or vice versa, it's just whatever you prefer. Each to their own.

Sent from my phone.

i fully agree with you on the traditional kit being no weightier than modern heavy duty stuff and 90% of the time i go with traditional kit.
wasn't trying to be a smartypants with my comment just caught one snippet of the post sorry if i irked you :)

i've not walked miles and miles and miles in many many years

As for the aesthetic bit its all about nostalgia for me, if it look old/vintage/retro i suddenly feel a compelling need to have it even if it makes life slower or heavier

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
wasn't trying to be a smartypants with my comment just caught one snippet of the post sorry if i irked you :)

Sorry I didn't mean to single you out there :)
It was meant to be more of a 'Ok I get it guys I made a mistake!' :)

Sent from my phone.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE