Traditional Vs modern

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
I was wondering were your personal preference normaly lies, myself im traditional but happy to use modern were it suits and makes life easier for example all my knives are 01 or 1095 carbon but i do keep a surgical steel case in my dog bag as it can get wet
5f964604-ac6c-dbe1.jpg

My bags are mostly traditional as for most of my needs thats what i prefair for both looks and purpose
5f964604-acfa-24c5.jpg

5f964604-ad49-b2b8.jpg
5f964604-ad7d-02e0.jpg

But i will use modern for long distance heavy loads
5f964604-add4-75d7.jpg

I like to make as much of my own kit as possible in order to get the hard wearing usualy heavy traditional kit i like
5f964604-aecc-b25f.jpg
5f964604-aef6-6b0f.jpg
5f964604-af41-7d02.jpg
5f964604-af7c-9b9f.jpg
5f964604-aff1-eb8e.jpg

For me personaly i have no issues in weight reducing and going camping with nothing but a hammock tarp and boil in a bag food. Im more of a spend time building a nice comfy home for a few days and eat and drink like a king
5f964604-b0e0-e7fc.jpg
5f964604-b11f-de5a.jpg
5f964604-b159-0e4e.jpg
5f964604-b191-b6ed.jpg

Anyway i would love to here your thoughts. Thanks

sent from my secret retreat

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
I think I'd like to expand on John's outlook, and say that I embrace modern technology, fabrics and techniques. But I use traditional where the modern equivalents are lacking.

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
I like traditional. But then I'm not one for walking miles and miles with all my kit on my back. If I were I'd most definitely go down the lightweight modern road. As it is I'm either letting the canoe carry my gear or I only walk a few miles into the woods, set up camp and explore from there.
I find quite a few people here, when discussing kit, assume that everyone who wants to get into bushcraft has to be fitted out to do the Pennine Way :) I don't even own a proper pair of hiking boots, I don't need 'em!

Sent from my phone.

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
i have a traditional rod up my rear end i reckon. i loath using anything modern and prefer natural materialsnwhich naturally makes me stuck up when confronted with 'tactical' or ultralight gear. i cant help it :lmao: however i do use modern tarps and hammocks etc but only because i cant carry a canvas tarp and hammock in my pack!

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
i have a traditional rod up my rear end i reckon. i loath using anything modern and prefer natural materialsnwhich naturally makes me stuck up when confronted with 'tactical' or ultralight gear. i cant help it :lmao: however i do use modern tarps and hammocks etc but only because i cant carry a canvas tarp and hammock in my pack!
I no mate iv been itching for a couple of years to make a nice khaki canvas tarp real old school but it would be massive when packed, same problem with wool blankets i much prefair them to sleeping bags but something has to give in order for it all to fit :)

Totumpole

Native
Jan 16, 2011
Cairns, Australia
I agree with the general trend on here - traditional looks better and generally feels a bit more robust, but with that it does weigh more/take up more space, and if you are taking your stuff along way that counts for a lot. I think there is a happy medium, where that lies depends on what your doing

Wayland

Hárbarðr
If it ain't broke don't fix it is my way of looking at it.

I like traditional gear, it speaks to my old soul but sometimes modern gear does a significantly better job.

Wool and canvas suits me for most of my clothing but my camera gear is pretty modern.

I carry some pretty state of the art electronic stuff with me but I enjoy using simple no nonsense old school gear most of the time.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE