Tipi wood burning stoves

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jun 16, 2014
Norwich
Hi,
This is my first post on here so apologies if its a little disjointed.
My wife and I as about to buy a tipi, the Roben Klondike and wanted to know what people thought about it? It would be for three (my wife and I and our 8 month old son).
The tipi has a stove port in the crown and wanted to know what stove would be best and how you prevent the flue being in contact with the poly-cotton?
Many thanks,
Adam

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Hi Adam and welcome.

We use a "Frontier stove" which packs down into its self to keep the bulk down. There are other types about but have no experience other than the Frontier which is a brilliant stove.
Most stoves pass through some kind of heat-resistance collar that can be fitted to either the top or walls of the tent.
I purchased the gasket and fitting kit with the stove. I also purchased a wind guard for the top of the stove to help avoid down-drafts.

I preferred my stove to one side of the tent which works well for us. Another great addition especially with a little one is a modified fire guard or even a dog cage that fits over and around the stove. This helps to stop any mishap with little fingers or stray clothing.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hello Adam,

Welcome to BCUK, hope you enjoy your time here.

I don't have the Tipi you're about to buy. Instead I have the Tentipi Safir 7.

It's a big old beast and I have the Frontier stove in there as a heater and cooker. I cut a hole in the side of mine and used the silicone flashing kit

as the means to protect the tipi skin from the hot flu.

The stoves great and an affordable price. If you're burning mainly softwood then you'll find that the chimney will need swept every 3 to 4 days generally speaking. I don't tend to use the floor in my Tipi though if you do you may want to get a fire blanket to put under the stove to catch any stray hot coals from the door. The stove provides all the heat I need for heating and cooking and provides a great amount of hot water via the copper kettle that lives on top.
Did have a few problems with smoke being drawn down the chimney in certain conditions, this was cure by the fabrication of a witches hat for the top of the flu, though the commercially produced spark arrestor does the same job I believe.
Only other thing I think you'll have to watch is with having a rugrat you may have to figure out a way to keep him away from the stove, though as my Gran used to say in typical stoic east coast Scots fashion "He'll soon learn" when ever I went near the fireplace.
Hope this helps, there's a whole heap of folks on here with various combinations who'll be along soon no doubt to pop in their tuppenceworth.
Enjoy and welcome again,
Goatboy.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE