The Ultimate in Arctic Clothing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
traditional-inuit-hunters-outfit.jpg

Wow... That's a real piece of handiwork.

Stefansson reckoned you should only get clothing made by someone that knew you and also knew you would come back if it wasn't made properly.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Gorgeous! Are they made using traditional methods (eg, sinew for sewing) or otherwise?

Traditional snowshoes are another item that falls in the lost arts. Traditional snowshoes are incredible or at least so I've heard. I've seen them in museums and read about them in Garrett and Alexandra Conover's book, Snow Walker's Companion, but I've never had the opportunity to try them.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Good for more static living such as Amundsen on dog sled or an Inuit hunter over an ice hole, not so good for very active work though? Lovely work nonetheless.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Looks cracking that, very nice for inactive work.

I'd love to see them being made, I found fur a pain to work with.

Red Fox

Dec 31, 2012
Cheshire
Are you going to attampt at makeing a parka someday wayland, i bet after jokkmokk i will have a go i rekon, it will be very diffucult but rewarding maybe i am being to confident but ive made enough mistakes in the past to try.parker.jpg

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Most of my gear is 21st century for the cold...Imagine the pack size of the inuit stuff... Got to be upwards of 6 full pelts in that !!.... Amazing all the same

Red Fox

Dec 31, 2012
Cheshire
I'm not sure. It could be something I try in the future but at the moment I think I'm pretty sorted with the gear I'm using.

Debs is just finishing a new sash that I'll be sporting in Jokkmokk for the first time though.
I bet the sash will fit in well with the rest of your artic kit.

greensurfingbear

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I tried one o the jackets on when I spent some time in iqaluit. Quite heavy and not designed to do much active work in. In fact one of the chaps I hung out with said it was one of the old taboos that you shouldn't sweat. Kinda makes sense when you think about it.

Orric

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE