Alone (UK) TV series. What ten items would you choose?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
I just watched the UK version of alone. I didn't really find it that enjoyable and it just seemed to me like a desperate struggle for all the competitors many of whom lacked the necessary skills and mindset. One of the competitors had an extremely anti nature profanity outburst when he missed a duck with an arrow. Whilst others repeatedly complained and longed to be elsewhere. I also found the overcoming issues, mental health slant a bit much. I think it unlikely, given the reviews, there will be a second series but I decided to have a go and filled in the application for a potential second series. I live in a tent full time and never see anyone anyway so I'd be off to a flyer I reckon lol. As ever I would love to hear your views on it and what would be your ten items and why? Here is a link to what you can have.

Last edited:

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Quickly reading through the list, with no further thought other than thinking what do I already have in my garage (less the biltong and pemmican, but i can make that....)

1. Pocket knife
2. 12×12 ground tarp
3. 550 Paracord (70m)
4. A multi-seasonal sleeping bag
5. Sleeping pad
6. Pot, including the lidF
7. Flint or ferro rod set
8. Small gauge gill net
9. 2 kilos of biltong
10. 2 kilos of pemmican

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
Quickly reading through the list, with no further thought other than thinking what do I already have in my garage (less the biltong and pemmican, but i can make that....)

1. Pocket knife
2. 12×12 ground tarp
3. 550 Paracord (70m)
4. A multi-seasonal sleeping bag
5. Sleeping pad
6. Pot, including the lidF
7. Flint or ferro rod set
8. Small gauge gill net
9. 2 kilos of biltong
10. 2 kilos of pemmican
interesting. No axe or saw?

Riven

Dec 23, 2006
England
I enjoyed the U.K. version more than the US, less macho and more what an average outdoors person from this country would do. It does seem that the loneliness is what get’s people out more than anything, bar injuries so someone who is used to being alone could stand a better chance. Good luck with your entry.

Chris

Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
Here is a list of the items you can choose (ten in total). What would you pick? and why?

Sharpening stone - For sharpening my teeth so that I can eat bears more efficiently

Carabiner - attach dental floss to a tree branch

Dental floss - so that I can rappel down from the tree branch like Tom Cruise in Mission Impossible, and garrotte a bear with the remaining dental floss

Spoon - Just in case the dental floss fails and I need to take the bear out hand-to-hand

Sleeping pad - I will probably need to lie down for an hour after fighting the bear

Toothpaste - I do not want to offend the bear with my bad breath whilst I am up close and personal

Small bottle of shower gel - see above

Comb - I will need to look presentable, manners cost nothing

My final two items are in the unlikely case the dental floss and the spoon fail me:

2 kilos of flour - Shake this around in a cave so that the air is full of flour particles.

Flint/steel - Lure the bear into the cave and strike the flint and steel, igniting the flour and blowing the bear to small, bite size pieces.

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
I enjoyed the U.K. version more than the US, less macho and more what an average outdoors person from this country would do. It does seem that the loneliness is what get’s people out more than anything, bar injuries so someone who is used to being alone could stand a better chance. Good luck with your entry.
you have made some good points there. I do take my hat off to to the way some people carried themselves and for the most part I endeared myself to them. I guess on many levels it was more of a challenge than the American series. You are right about the loneliness and all of them struggled with that aspect. . I remember some US military survival instructor and veteran who tapped out saying he couldn't cope with the loneliness.

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
Sharpening stone - For sharpening my teeth so that I can eat bears more efficiently

Dental floss - so that I can rappel down from the tree branch like Tom Cruise in Mission Impossible, and garrotte a bear with the remaining dental floss

Spoon - Just in case the dental floss fails and I need to take the bear out hand-to-hand

Sleeping pad - I will probably need to lie down for an hour after fighting the bear

Toothpaste - I do not want to offend the bear with my bad breath whilst I am up close and personal

My final two items are in the unlikely case the dental floss and the spoon fail me:

2 kilos of flour - Shake this around in a cave so that the air is full of flour particles.

Flint/steel - Lure the bear into the cave and strike the flint and steel, igniting the flour and blowing the bear to small, bite size p

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
I just watched the UK version of alone. I didn't really find it that enjoyable and it just seemed to me like a desperate struggle for all the competitors many of whom lacked the necessary skills and mindset. One of the competitors had an extremely anti nature profanity outburst when he missed a duck with an arrow. Whilst others repeatedly complained and longed to be elsewhere. I also found the overcoming issues, mental health slant a bit much. I think it unlikely, given the reviews, there will be a second series but I decided to have a go and filled in the application for a potential second series. I live in a tent full time and never see anyone anyway so I'd be off to a flyer I reckon lol. As ever I would love to hear your views on it and what would be your ten items and why? Here is a link to what you can have.
Maybe I am being a bit harsh. They all did pretty well given what they are up against.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Here is a list of the items you can choose (ten in total). What would you pick? and why?
Interesting, first time seen the list could pick from, knew there was one.

Bear canister being on there is interesting, never seen a contestant in US take one. But seen plenty struggle to keep their food from other critters.

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track

Flint/steel - Lure the bear into the cave and strike the flint and steel, igniting the flour and blowing the bear to small, bite size pieces.

Now that’s what I call good TV!

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
Interesting, first time seen the list could pick from, knew there was one.

Bear canister being on there is interesting, never seen a contestant in US take one. But seen plenty struggle to keep their food from other critters.
useful ime sure but I wouldn't have that in favor of other more useful things

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell

utterly ridiculous, but dya know what? it might work.

stonepark

Tenderfoot
Jun 28, 2013
Carse of Gowrie
1 - Hunting (Survival) Knife - Multi Use
2 - Saw (Katanaboy) - More efficient than axe
3 - 550 Paracord - multi use
4 - Multi Season Sleeping Bag - cold out there
5 - Frying Pan - simple cooking
6 - Water Bottle - carry water
7 - Ferro Rod Set - light fire
8 - Fishing Line Set - catch fish, multi use, make gill net, snares, etc
9 - 2kg Beef Jerky - 10 days rations - high protein (long lasting energy, bait crayfish traps
10 - 2kg Pemmican - 10 days rations - survival food -

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
interesting. No axe or saw?
While I see the benefit of an axe, I can do without it. My pocket knife has a small but bloody good saw on it.

For shelter building, I've got the tarp. I'd rig up a small teepee. Small fire inside for warmth if really needed, and a cooking fire outside. Any more of an elaborate shelter would require too much energy expenditure. If I need a longer lasting fire, I'll build a long-log fire and open up the teepee. Logs big enough for that can be found as dead standing in the uk, and in my experience, the tree can be pushed over to fall.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE