The outdoor show NEC

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rain man

Tenderfoot
Mar 7, 2006
London
Hi, I'm looking forward to having a browse round the Outdoors show which is on at the NEC in march. I'm hoping there'll be lots of bushcraft stalls there!? Anybody out there know more about this? Am I going to be very disappointed? I have lots of things I'd like to buy but would love to see/try on first, rather than just buying "blind" online.

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
I went a few years ago and unless something drastic has happend don't expect to see a massive amount of bushcraft stalls.
Plenty of things to see and do though, there were axes and knives available when i went.

It IS a good day out and i'm sure you'll enjoy it. There are quite a few bargins to be had too

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Yup, would agree with ArkAngel, we have one up here every year in the SECC. About half is usually dedicated to caravanning, but there's likely to be a few gems to be found. :D

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
I've been every year since it started and it has got progressively less interesting.

There is a lot if you are into canoeing and or mountain biking.Quite a few tents outside too. There are one or two interesting stalls but not enough for me to justify driving for two and a half hours and paying £6 to park the car.

More and more "expensive holiday" companies are moving in too.

I won't be back again.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
There is a lot if you are into canoeing and or mountain biking.Quite a few tents outside too. There are one or two interesting stalls but not enough for me to justify driving for two and a half hours and paying £6 to park the car.

More and more "expensive holiday" companies are moving in too.

I won't be back again.

That was exactly how I found it. I didn't go last year, but was there the year before that and was really unimpressed. Too many luxury holiday companies, too few stands selling gear. Any gear! I went wanting to look at water filters, head torches and wool base layers and found one example of each in the entire show. :banghead:

Honestly, I have found a lot more stuff of interest to bushcrafters at the Kelmarsh Countryman Fair. http://www.countrymanfairs.co.uk/gamekeeper/gamekeeper_home.html

From London it is closer than the NEC, there are more stands selling bushcraft type kit (Country Covers / Arktis is usually there for instance), there are generally several knife makers/sellers and a lot of craftsmen. Sure, no canoes and bright anoraks, but worth bearing in mind.

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
Went last year and there wasn't much in the way of bushcraft. Nordic Outdoor were there selling Gransfors axes and fire steels but that was about it if i remember rightly. Going this year if i can get some freebie tickets from work.:AR15firin

UKHaiku

Forager
Dec 27, 2007
York, UK
I'm planning to head down on the Friday..

If there's a few of us, we should arrange to meet up for a natter (and a beer ;)), subject to timing of events etc..

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
The exhibition itself as a whole isn't worth bothering with apart from the bushie stand which was pretty interesting last year and a couple of others where I bought some fantastic og combats for £15. The main reason I went last year really was to see Rays talk which was superb but I also saw Tim Emmett (mad head!) which was great so I'm there for the lectures really which I think are worth going for.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE