Tepee,Millets

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I hadn't thought about heat, I was more concerned about trying to get a safety blanket patch to cook on out of the rain :) You'll just need to fill the space with people or, when you've got the billy on, re-start those clicker heat gel pouches and fill your pockets and boots :)
Wonder if the flysheet might help with heat loss too?

I've bought two of the little candle lanterns and am persuading my brother to make me some sort of bracket that fits onto the pole and hangs them straight, like mini hanging baskets. They give off some heat but not much.

Cheers,
Toddy

mojofilter

Nomad
Mar 14, 2004
bonnie scotland
Some pics for those who may be interested.... :)

P1020073.jpg

P1020134.jpg

The water trap area...

P1020062.jpg

P1020135.jpg

And my 'tactical' solution to Toddys candle lantern hanging bracket.... :D

P1020139.jpg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Okay, that works too :D
I've been thinking about the water lying on the edge problem and I reckon it's only able to do it because the angle is wrong at that bit.
So, either we have to totally re-make that bottom edge or waterproof it so soundly it doesn't matter or...how about if we just put something *under* the flangeplate the pole sits on, to raise it by maybe 4 or 5cms? That would alter the angle and allow rainwater to run off and since the guylines have a lot of adjustment in them anyway there ought not be any problem putting the tepee up.
My green is sploongin wet still, step on it and loose your boots, so it's going to be fun trying it here :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Toddy

mojofilter

Nomad
Mar 14, 2004
bonnie scotland
RE the comments about it looking about a bit slack at the bottom, well I stuck a brick under the bottom of the pole, and it has really tightened it up and made a big improvement to the shape....

Pics later if anyone wants. :)

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
mojofilter said:
RE the comments about it looking about a bit slack at the bottom, well I stuck a brick under the bottom of the pole, and it has really tightened it up and made a big improvement to the shape....

Pics later if anyone wants. :)

please! :D

Brendan

Nomad
Dec 1, 2004
Surrey UK
I've wanted to try a tepee for a while now and have been looking at Kifaru but the price is a bit beyond what I wanted to pay.
Firstly seam sealing is a must, even Kifaru advise users to do this before use.
I have also tinkered with the idea of making my own from 3x3m usmc camo tarps.
After reading this thread I wondered if any one who had bought the millets tepee had removed the groundsheet?
This would stop the water seepage from the edge material and also allow a small fire to be lit in the middle of the tepee plus it would reduce the overall weight which compared to a kirafu is quite substantial.
I may just go and buy one myself and give it a go, at £60 it's worth a try and if it goes pearshaped the kids can play with it in the garden.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I was going to remove the groundsheet but to be honest is seems fine.....on the other hand I haven't tried it on a wet Scottish hillside yet :rolleyes: There's a centre opening in the groundsheet for the pole to go through, I think I'll just cut and hem a fold back flap in that to accomodate a bit of fireblanket and my little catalytic stove, though I reckon it'd be safe enough for my Swiss army billy stove too. The tepee has a *lot* of floor space :D

Cheers,
Toddy

Brendan

Nomad
Dec 1, 2004
Surrey UK
Thanks for the quick reply Toddy.
I guess I got to try one myself so tomorrow morning I'm off to millets to get me one.
This could solve the annual family campout problem which last year involved a parachute as a group shelter my other half in a one man tent, my daughter in a leaking bivy, me in a hammock and the dog anywhere that would have him.

Cheers
Brendan

Brendan

Nomad
Dec 1, 2004
Surrey UK
That does look better Mojo, nice job, cheers for the pics.
The cat looks pretty happy with his new home.

Cheers

Brendan

mojofilter

Nomad
Mar 14, 2004
bonnie scotland
Brendan said:
That does look better Mojo, nice job, cheers for the pics.
The cat looks pretty happy with his new home.

Cheers

Brendan

The cat is a she..... :D

Motorbike Man said:
You know, after seeing those jacked up pics, I really really wish I didn't have a nearly new dome tent and could justify buying a new tent :rolleyes:

Out of curiosity, how small does it pack down too?

Quite big, perhaps 18" to 2' by 8"

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's surprisingly light for such a big tent Jon, and if you really wanted to save more weight the pole is steel so it could be replaced quite simply.

Cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE