Tepee,Millets

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Ah, got you :D Thanks Womble, no cowboys on mine....*bigger* though, hmmmm :)
I managed to get about 15 metres of faulty cordura...the waterproofing has got thick bits in it so it won't do for commercial use, but it'll do fine for a new groundsheet if I cut mine free so I can cook safely inside.

Cheers,
Toddy

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
When I put it up yesterday I found that one side seemed excessivly slack - lots of loose flapping material, whilst the other side did not seem overly taut. Unfortunately, because of the the integal graoundsheet, I was not able to pull the slack side tighter. Very Strange. So i'm thinking that cutting out the groudsheet might give a bit more flexibility to the "tweaking" part of putting it up.

I also learnt a valuable lesson: 10 meters of 1 meter wide material will not completely cover a Millets teepee. Not even close... :(

scruff

Maker
Jun 24, 2005
West Yorkshire
I picked one of these up about three weeks ago (when they were still on offer) :)

I think they're unbelievably good for the price!

Mine has been well tested in wind and rain has not leaked a bit - not even under the doors!

Admittedly I had used Fabsil on all the seams and around the bottom edge first, but I was quite impressed as it was really pounding it down and very windy. It was 'weathered' for about five days until the weather managed to stay dry long enough to get it packed away.

I have noticed the 'slack' or uneveness of the the tent when pitching out (which can be done by one person) but I'm hoping this is 'cos my lawn is not flat.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Have you tried putting something *under* the pole to lift it a couple of inches? It made all the difference to a couple of them. I used a tin of water chestnuts, but a brick or the like would probably do fine.

Cheers,
Toddy

Anyone who is thinking of getting one of these and using it in bad weather DONT
I used mine at the bushmoot and got flooded out it leaked everywhere it could have done , I think it stood up to a couple of hours of the very heavy rain but ones it started to leak it spread like wildfire.
I have chopped mine up now and will not use it for camping in again :lmao:

Bigman

Life Member
May 28, 2006
Newton Abbot, Devon.
I've been looking at getting a tipi and had seen the one that millets were selling and when I had the funds would purchase one.

After reading through the previous posts I'm glad I didn't.

I've been googling away for the past hour or so and found this company in the uk that makes tipi's, although they aren't cheap, you do get a lot for your money.

http://www.tipi.co.uk

scruff

Maker
Jun 24, 2005
West Yorkshire
Although use mine at the Moot I have used mine in extended periods of rain (upto a week solid) and had no such problems.

Sorry to hear it let you down Singe - hope it didn't dampen your experience of the moot? :rolleyes:

Aug 4, 2005
Sunny South Wales.
mojofilter said:
Oh, and I now have my own personal crop circle..... :lmao:

P1020437.jpg

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Aug 4, 2005
Sunny South Wales.
Singeblister said:
Online order worked fine for me ,.

Regarding Thompsons waterseal for bricks ,,, has anyone use this stuff on a tent ? and if so did it work ok
I have a big can of it and i thought i could put it in a spray gun and dust over the whole thing with it , does it change the colour or anything .

Don't know about the thin fabric used on tents, but it's good for the heavy canvas used on old Land Rover tilts. Water just beads and rolls off. :approve: It makes the canvas slightly darker, but not much. Apparently, any silicone type fluid's effective - I'm told that shed and fence paint can be used too.

scruff said:
Although use mine at the Moot I have used mine in extended periods of rain (upto a week solid) and had no such problems.

Sorry to hear it let you down Singe - hope it didn't dampen your experience of the moot? :rolleyes:
No I still had a great time :) it really wouldnt have botherd me in the least but i had the wife and kids with me, I posted my experiance with the it just so anyone thinking of buying would know what they might be in for :rolleyes:
Don't know about the thin fabric used on tents, but it's good for the heavy canvas used on old Land Rover tilts. Water just beads and rolls off. It makes the canvas slightly darker, but not much. Apparently, any silicone type fluid's effective - I'm told that shed and fence paint can be used too.
Thanks I will try this out on the leaky teepi now , I chopped the ground sheet out of it already will let you know how it turns out :)

Brendan

Nomad
Dec 1, 2004
Surrey UK
I've chopped the groundsheet out and installed a kifaru wood burner, had to make a firepatch to pass the stove pipe through and it works well.
I'm going out in a week or so to test it out for a few nights while bushcrafting.
Shame it's so warm at the moment, got the stove for winter camping but you guys know what it's like with new toys.

Big Steve

Tenderfoot
Jun 5, 2006
Gloucester
I am pretty darned sure that you can get a 10% discount from Millets if you produce your YHA membership card... assuming you're in the YHA. I always have anyway. This should knock off £6 off the asking price. I feel an impulse buy coming on!

Big Steve

Tenderfoot
Jun 5, 2006
Gloucester
Blimey clcuckow! They may be great teepees, but compare the prices! up to £420 for a Helisport Lawu teepee or £60 for a Millets? Hmmm.......

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Big Steve said:
Blimey clcuckow! They may be great teepees, but compare the prices! up to £420 for a Helisport Lawu teepee or £60 for a Millets? Hmmm.......
apples and oranges Big Steve. It's great to have a cheap lavvu option but it's not going to offer the build quality, durability and performance of a better put together article. From reading through the thread I think that some of the issues reflect that.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE