Sweet Chestnut projects

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bushblade

Nomad
Jul 5, 2003
West Yorkshire
www.bushblade.co.uk
P1000184.jpg

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Thats all great work and I really like the Kuksa :D which I must get round to making.

Can we have some more detials on the two containers on the right which seem to covered in bark.

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
They are really nice crafts!!! In particular i like the Kuksa! It has some nice clean cut shapes to it and a nice over all design! Sweet Chestnut has really nice grain. Its a wood that i dont see being used that much which is suprising!:You_Rock_

bushblade

Nomad
Jul 5, 2003
West Yorkshire
www.bushblade.co.uk
Thats all great work and I really like the Kuksa :D which I must get round to making.

Can we have some more detials on the two containers on the right which seem to covered in bark.

Thanks for all the kind coments :) the two containers are Sweet Chestnut bark, glued together with pine pitch and fitted with Sweet chestnut base and stoppers. The larger of the two has a braid made from sweat chestnut inner bark that keeps the stopper in place, I use this one for air rifle pellets.
The smaller one is two layers of bark that I twisted off a branch about 1 inch diameter then pushed one inside the other.
The larger is a thick layer of bark rolled up so its double thickness then the edges bevelled and glued together with pine pitch.
P1000186.jpg

P1000188.jpg

P1000190.jpg

P1000189.jpg

Now I'm off to Scotland for three weeks to explore :)

bushblade

Nomad
Jul 5, 2003
West Yorkshire
www.bushblade.co.uk
That container is amazing! I didnt know you could strip sweet chestnut bark like that! You have got it perfectly cilindrical! did you use a form?

No form, you need to do it when the saps moving, so early on in the year ( I did these end of April) and it is possible to twist sections off. You need to score arround the branch then gently pound the bark to free it from sap wood. Then you can twist off sections of bark, the stronger your grip strength, the larger the piece of bark you can twist off. I managed to twist off a 4 inch diameter piece, but then I do climb a lot :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE