stromeng leuku

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Apr 15, 2004
Ireland
Back on topic I have a Stromeng and like it! For such a large knife it's not overly thick, so it takes a great edge and can cut where more "Tactical" knives fall down being too thick and indestructable as pry bars to function as knives ought to!
It's quick and easy to resharpen and makes quick work of portioning a chicken for example :) I'm sure it's well able to tackle heavier cutting chores like brush clearance and shelter building, but would still be a good skinner or general camp knife also. The only niggle I have with it is the lack of a guard, like most Scandi. knives, but not so much that I would not carry it in the woods with no problems at all!
I'd see it as a good alternative to a belt axe on a short stroll, backed by something like an Allen Blade or a Grohmann Original and a smaller folder like a SAK. If things went south badly on a hill walk you would still be well equipped knife wise. Did I mention the spine throws mad sparks with a fire steel? Great knife you won't be afraid to use and abuse if needs be, given it's price point compared to the competition (Busse, Randall et al?)

jerv

Forager
Aug 28, 2005
sussex
I got one of the iisaki leukus which I picked up in helsinki for a good price. I'd only ever heard good things about them though the finns I talked to don't seem to impressed by leukus.
It's really easy to wield I tested it spitting oak and hawthorn last week it worked really well. I was suprised by what short work it made of the oak. The sami have been using them for a long time in a seriously tough environment so it hardly needs my praise.

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
musashi said:
It's quick and easy to resharpen and makes quick work of portioning a chicken for example :) I'm sure it's well able to tackle heavier cutting chores like brush clearance and shelter building, but would still be a good skinner or general camp knife also. The only niggle I have with it is the lack of a guard, like most Scandi. knives, but not so much that I would not carry it in the woods with no problems at all!
I'd say a guard is quite unnecessary, as used how the sami do (who after all, invented it), centrifugal force pulls it well out - in fact, the commonest accidents are a small pommel or thin handle causing the knife to shoot into the distance.
Great knife you won't be afraid to use and abuse if needs be, given it's price point compared to the competition (Busse, Randall et al?)
Must say that IMO the Helle Lappland is better quality - and about 20 or 30 quid cheaper. Have you tried this one? :)
They are lovely bits of kit. You can (people do) use it as your only knife :eek: :cool:

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I own 3 large leukus and the Stromeng is easily the best tool of the 3. The Roselli and IJ are nice, but the palm swell on the Stromeng fits my hand like a glove and gives me the best control. The thin 9" blade and great balance make it a terrific chopper. I've not tried a Helle leuku.

largeleukus1b.jpg

Brian Harrison also makes a great chopper in the Stromeng size and I do believe I like it just a bit better although either suits me fine as a light chopping knife.

stromengvsharrison1b.jpg

musashi said:
Back on topic I have a Stromeng and like it! For such a large knife it's not overly thick, so it takes a great edge and can cut where more "Tactical" knives fall down being too thick and indestructable as pry bars to function as knives ought to!
I'd see it as a good alternative to a belt axe on a short stroll, backed by something like an Allen Blade or a Grohmann Original and a smaller folder like a SAK. If things went south badly on a hill walk you would still be well equipped knife wise. Did I mention the spine throws mad sparks with a fire steel? Great knife you won't be afraid to use and abuse if needs be, given it's price point compared to the competition (Busse, Randall et al?)
would you say it would do all the tasks of a gb hatchet?

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
addyb said:
Those are lovely knives, but isn't a parang more efficient?

Or am I barking up the wrong proverbial tree??

Adam
I have a strømeng too and a Valiant golok (which is almost the same as a parang, the geometry is almost the same) and i find the golok MUCH more effecient. It can chop right through arm thick boughs, whereas a Strømeng cannot because of the scandi grind. No doubt the strømeng is an excellent chopper, but the scandi grind stops the chop, whereas a convex doesn't. ;)

I'm saving for a Bark river golok.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I have a Valiant golok too (several actually ;) ) but I don't carry it into the woods very often unless I have a specific task in mind, like clearing trails for instance. Comparing the leuku to the golok is like comparing apples with oranges. It's a lot bigger tool but heavier as well. Whether you carry a golok, parang, or a leuku or a big knife at all really comes down to how much you are willing to lug into the woods and what you plan on doing there. An 18" ontario machete with a convexed edge is also a fearsome sapling killer. It will amaze you. But I rarely lug one around unless I plan to kill a lot of saplings. :) However some people carry these kinds of tools all the time, even in the temperate forests. Personally I like the Stromeng not just because it's a good chopper for its size but also because it's a great woodworker. Perfect for working down a chunk of wood to make a noggin, thin enough to split a limb lengthwise to make a bow stave, wide enough to get a good grip on the blade to use as a wood scraper or spokeshave, light enough to lug around all day on the hip without listing to one side, and small enough to slip into a daypack.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE