Leukus

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Springchicken

Aug 29, 2005
Northants.
My hand is hovering perilously close to the 'add to cart' button for a leuku.

I am aware of the range of uses to which the Sami people put them but am still wondering whether it is a useful cutting tool to have for bushcraft in the U.K.. Any help, guidance, opinions and/or experience on this would be very gratefully received!

Ultimately, should I click on the 'add to cart' button or should I save my pennies for something else?

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
It depends on your skill level, if you can cleanly limb a tree with an axe, you would find a leuku or parang a dream to use.

I personally prefer a larger thin blade for scrub work, and a finely ground axe profile for tree work.

I would just go for it, otherwise you will never know

alphaburner

Jan 17, 2014
Cork, Ireland
I bought an Erapuu 210 which I like and kept, but it came with a decent chip in the edge. Didn’t bother returning as I expected to give it some hard use. Although I do maybe think that a 240 would have been better

Dec 10, 2015
South Wales
I’ve got a couple I’ve mainly used them for de branching trees when I was carrying out water way maintenance. I keep a fairly chunky one in my fishing jacket.

IMG_8944.png

Reactions: Nice65

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
One thing to look for is the pommel, it has to have the proper shape or else there could be problems with the primary function of a large Leuku, whacking.

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
I have gotten rid of my leuku's recently, to favour my Bark River Canadian Camp 2, and condor bushcraft parang (if I ever find it again, left it outside two years ago and still looking)

The Canadian Camp 2 is a real powerhouse of a chopper, the edge is a bit thicker than a leuku, but can split wood and limb / chop everything, only down side is that for any real use, you must wear gloves

Dec 10, 2015
South Wales
Another positive for a leuku is the grip as mentioned. I find i hold it with two fingers and a thumb right at the end of the handle so the blade swings back with more wrist action.

I should add that monstrosity in the image is a extra large one I made for my own needs and doesn’t follow the traditional handle shape.

I’m in the process of doing a kukri shape for a customer now I’m not sure if the shape lends its self to out preform a leuku. As this could be another option but I personally have never used one so I can’t comment.

Here’s the over all shape and this is currently a work In process.

IMG_8924.jpeg

Both blades have that forward weight to push through when snedding but the kukri seems to carry more weight at the front.

Reactions: scruff and TLM

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I have not found the Khukuri shape ideal for snedding to be honest. If you think about the action, pushing away from you along the branch, a blade curving up, as opposed to down, gives a better cut IMO - but maybe it's just personal preference.

Dec 10, 2015
South Wales
No that makes perfect sense to me. I do feel the billhook is one of best tools for our climate it’s just a bit bulky to be carrying around on the off chance you see that perfect hazel stick for example.

Springchicken

Aug 29, 2005
Northants.
I think the Roselli appeals because, at 5mm thick, its blade is thicker than most. That and the slightly shorter length make it more appealing for my purposes.

I have tried - and own - a parang but I'm not sure about it. It works OK but I think I'd be happier with a straight blade. As for a kukri, I've never tried one; but then, I'm not a Ghurka...

Dec 10, 2015
South Wales
Personally I wouldn’t go for the Roselli dimensions. 7 inch is a short length for chopping. I’d be looking for 9 inches and over. As for diameter of the spine it depends if your planning on splitting or snedding but I get by perfectly fine with 3.5mm on my traditional leuku and the one above.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
I find i hold it with two fingers and a thumb right at the end of the handle so the blade swings back with more wrist action.
That is the way it is traditionally held. So the pommel mostly have a kind of flange to make the grip.

Roselli large Leuku has a traditionalle shaped blade but the handle not quite so.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE