Squirrel/road kill eating, BBC article

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Road kill: Guess the mess and eat for free? Smear of deer?
Squirrels are tree rats. I watch them hunting for song bird nests in the spring.
They will chew open a bird feeder (plastic/wood/metal) and empty it to stockpile
caches that they can never find.
I'll have mine with curry, thanks.

feralpig

Forager
Aug 6, 2013
Mid Wales
Some of his writing I have little interest in, but I can't disagree with him in any way when it comes to his views on agriculture and food production. I could have told him half of what he says 20 years ago.....

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The disconnection between the farm and the table is astounding for many city born-and-raised people.
Here, if you hit it, licence or not, you get to keep it. Grouse, deer, etc. A deer can write off a vehicle
instead of repairs.

There's a growing recognition of the simple organic value in game, judging by the increase each year in the
number of hunting licences in British Columbia.

Recommended Reading: Kill It & Grill It. by Ted & Shemane Nugent. Regnery Publishing, 2002. ISBN 0-89526-164-2

As we are on the subject of squirrels, ch 16: Limbrat Etouffe, and ch 17: Bushytail Bushwhackin' have excellent recipes.
For dark humor, I like ch 15: Hasenpfeffer by Glock.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Some of his writing I have little interest in, but I can't disagree with him in any way when it comes to his views on agriculture and food production. I could have told him half of what he says 20 years ago.....

I fundamentally disagree with most of what he is saying. We have no need of manure? Absolute rubbish. Soil erosion in the Fens is measured in tonnes, per acre, per year precisely because there isn't enough manure and other organic matter worked back into the soil. So much so that it is now almost sand and minerals with minimal humus and can only raise a crop through over irrigation and the addition of massive quantities of mineral fertilizers. To suggest we need to exaggerate that effect is insane.

feralpig

Forager
Aug 6, 2013
Mid Wales
I fundamentally disagree with most of what he is saying. We have no need of manure? Absolute rubbish. Soil erosion in the Fens is measured in tonnes, per acre, per year precisely because there isn't enough manure and other organic matter worked back into the soil. So much so that it is now almost sand and minerals with minimal humus and can only raise a crop through over irrigation and the addition of massive quantities of mineral fertilizers. To suggest we need to exaggerate that effect is insane.

Different areas, different issues. I'm not familiar with the farming practises on the Fens. The warmer parts of Wales, the farmers are limited in the amount of manure that goes on the land. They have a surplus. I know of one local farm to me, who hauls two tanker loads of manure from Carmarthenshire to Brecon, every day. It goes in a bio digester, to produce "clean" energy.
This manure is the by product of milk production, it's slurry.
I don't think my example is in any way unusual.

I live, and was raised, in the middle of an area where so much of what he writes about agriculture is something that I see every day. I just can't disagree with the bloke.

sausage100uk

Settler
May 4, 2013
United Kingdom
so can you shoot greys and are they "safe" to eat??? I know they're a delicacy in the southern states of USA but does anyone eat them here? (I imagine theyd be like mini rabbit)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Different areas, different issues. I'm not familiar with the farming practises on the Fens. The warmer parts of Wales, the farmers are limited in the amount of manure that goes on the land. They have a surplus. I know of one local farm to me, who hauls two tanker loads of manure from Carmarthenshire to Brecon, every day. It goes in a bio digester, to produce "clean" energy.
This manure is the by product of milk production, it's slurry.
I don't think my example is in any way unusual.

I live, and was raised, in the middle of an area where so much of what he writes about agriculture is something that I see every day. I just can't disagree with the bloke.

But there is the very problem. We as a country DO need it. But he closes his eyes to that because it doesn't suit his agenda. All manure should be returned to the ground, whether that ground is pasture or field. You cannot keep taking from the ground without returning material to he ground in equal measure. If there are dairy farms that do not muck spread they must be using nitrates etc. on their pasture. Thats stupid. The alternative is that they are buying in feedstuff and hence end up with a surplus. But the manure needs to be returned where the feed came from. Better yet farm dairy as part of mixed farms and put the manure back on the crop fields. Mixed farms of animals, vegetables and grains are the way forward. Sterile, ever denuded agri business veg fields are not.

feralpig

Forager
Aug 6, 2013
Mid Wales
Yes, the manure should be returned to the ground, but it isn't happening in the way it should be, for a number of different reasons.

When he says.........

"Even organic, low-input, high-welfare production could be described as ethical only if we ate less meat. Then, if manure production were in balance with crop production, it would make sense. But we are swimming in animal manure in this country (sometimes, given the state of our rivers and coastal waters, literally). We need less of it, not more. In the context of overconsumption across the spectrum, and the vast land-take this requires, any form of meat production exacerbates the problems."

......I read it to mean that we don't need more of the vile toxic waste that falls out the back end of intensively farmed animals. This stuff is some evil liquid. It's not the same as what comes out of a traditional cowshed or horse stable. You would not want to be spreading it on your veg patch.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Nope, still dont buy it. His giveaway is "ethical if we ate less meat". There is nothing unethical about eating meat that is organic and high welfare. There is a very great deal wrong with eating vegetables farmed so intensively that the fields are monoculture desserts with all insect and higher life forms extinguished. If the man thinks animals are not killed in vegetable farming he is not just an idiot, but a dangerous idiot. How does he propose to return organic matter to all these veg fields? Human manure spreading?

Its not a policy its an absurd agenda that is transparently unworkable.

feralpig

Forager
Aug 6, 2013
Mid Wales
Nope, still dont buy it. His giveaway is "ethical if we ate less meat". There is nothing unethical about eating meat that is organic and high welfare. There is a very great deal wrong with eating vegetables farmed so intensively that the fields are monoculture desserts with all insect and higher life forms extinguished. If the man thinks animals are not killed in vegetable farming he is not just an idiot, but a dangerous idiot. How does he propose to return organic matter to all these veg fields? Human manure spreading?

Its not a policy its an absurd agenda that is transparently unworkable.

Yes, that is precisely the way organic matter is returned to the veg fields. Spuds and wheat and barley, at least. Done it myself. Some slurry and chicken manure goes on, but from what I have done, the greater quantity is out of the sewerage works. Again, different parts of the country employ different practises.

The rest of it, we'll just have to differ on.

Slight edit, I differ with you on your interpretation of what he meant by needing less manure.
I doubt very much if he thinks no animals get killed in veg production, and have not read anything he has written to suggest he does. In fact, quite the opposite.

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Let's face it = the guy is a dork with very, very little sense of ecology and energy/nutrient budgets.
Could he find his butt with both hands in a brightly lit room? I won't give him even odds.
We can all spell out the testimonials we like, but here in BCUK, we are preaching to the converted.
We all know better.
Better to let the chaff sway by the roadside. We can always turn it into the ground, yes?

richardhomer

Settler
Aug 23, 2012
STOURBRIDGE
so can you shoot greys and are they "safe" to eat??? I know they're a delicacy in the southern states of USA but does anyone eat them here? (I imagine theyd be like mini rabbit)

Grays are vermin. You can shoot them and eat them. They are a very lean meat that's a very light colour.
I've eaten it. And like chicken it dose not have much taste. Great for putting in things like curry. The meat will take on the taste of what ever you cook it with.
A local fArmers market to have a game dealer come. He use to sell a brace of Gray for £3. And while he never sold out of them unlike pheasant. People did buy them to try.

I would eat them again.

Last edited:

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
i'm not sure why he needed an axe to butcher a squirrel, a three inch knife and a pair of secateurs has been sufficent for me to butcher thousands of rabbits.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE