Snugpak Underquilt Instructions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
At the risk of a jolly good flaming, I'd like to know if there are any instructions for the Snugpak hammock underquilt.

They don't seem to come with any but, whilst I understand the concept, what I really want is a set of line diagrams and stepped instructions. Yes, I could fanny about with for an hour and try and work it out for myself but I may miss something critical or not be aware of a 'top tip' for use.

I've done a forum search and seen a few pics but nothing as yet that really brings it all down to basics. Ideally, something I could print out and laminate.

Is anyone aware of such a set of instructions?

Thanks in advance.

Flame away! :D

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
You've probably seen this already Mike but I've found it the best way so far.

From Ian, Wanderinstar

"First of all you could do with 6 mini karabiners ( you don't need them but it makes job easier). Dealing with one end . Take the 2 inner cords and tie them back on themselves, so halving the length. Then fit one krab through the 2 loops and attach this to the main hammock karabiner. Then fit one outer cord through the loop at the end of blanket and then pass this over the ridgeline and attach to the loop on the other side with another mini krab. Do the same with the cord on the other side.Where these go over the ridgeline it may help to fitt prussic loops on ridgeline to pull them slightly towards the tree.

Don't forget though. The cords are there to support the blanket ONLY not you."

I suppose it depends on what hammock you're using aswell though Mike, I find this the best way with the Magikelly GB hammock, using karabiners and webbing straps.

I only use four karabiners though, one on the end of each of the outer shock cords. These I pass through prussiks tied onto a utility line under my tarp.

I'll try and do a bit of a drawing with MS Paint but it won't be up to much.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
That's excellent - thanks very much!

I might put the two together into a pdf file. If it's OK with you, I can post the pdf back onto BCUK?

Cheers mate!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Glad it's helped mate, once you try this way it suddenly clicks and it's dead easy next time round.

I have a couple of U bolts in my cellar wall so I'm able to mess around with gear until I get it right.

Just make sure there's a little tension on the shockcords and that your hammock still takes the weight and not the UB.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
I'l give it a try. I suspect it's one of these things that makes more sense when you actually do it. I may take a couple of photos too just to remind myself of what I did!!!

Or if you don't use a ridgeline, tie those cords together over the hammock and this works very well too. Or do what I did and sew loops directly onto your hammock with elastic webbing and attach the underblanket directly onto the hammock that way.

I was using mine in Glen Orchy last weekend and there was a groundfrost and I must say it's the first time ever I've felt the cold through the underblanket. Mind you the wind probably had a lot to do with it too.

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
I will add this here to avoid a new thread.

On the underblanket, on each side, an elasticated cord runs down the full length of the blanket.

Depending on your set up you might find it helpful to tie a knot in each of the 4 ends to stop the cord from pulling through - if it does it's a bit of a pig to sort it out - you need a smooth rod and some duct tape (or that's how I did it anyway). Not a job you want to be doing at night and best avoided by just doing the knots.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Not tried it myself with mine but I believe you just push the UB out of the way and then it pops back into place once you're in. Maybe just holding it out of the way with the back of your legs before sitting into the HH ?

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
I was using mine in Glen Orchy last weekend and there was a groundfrost and I must say it's the first time ever I've felt the cold through the underblanket. Mind you the wind probably had a lot to do with it too.

Was out in minus 8-10 last week, had a 3/4 Thermarest as well and was very toasty indeed.

Tobes

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Good question Mikey you have saved me asking the same question.

Nice diagram Rich cheers for that.

How was Coniston?

Andy

We had a power cut at 5 o'clock this morning so no alarm clock and I slept in until just after 8. Supposed to be meeting Simon around half past :confused:
Got there just after 11 and had a few hours out on the water, had a brew and a natter then made our way back.
Conditions were good and we had the place to oursleves just about, only saw a couple of kayakers down the lake.

squantrill

Nomad
Mar 28, 2008
The Never lands!
www.basiclife.eu
Apologies in advance, but I'm contemplating getting an underblanket as it's way too chilly even with a 3/4 sleeping mat.

Dumb question perhaps, but once the UB is rigged up: How do you get into the Hennessy's bottom style entrance?

Many thanks...............hc

Push you underblanket to the side get in the underblanket then magically gets back to the right position.

However VERY BIG RECOMMENDATION I sewed in 2 zips one long one end to end and a half size this means I now get in to the hH the same as a top loader the underblankets sites better and it is easier to get in out setup.

So much better I took out the velcor in the bottom and sewed that up to ;)

Simon

Thijzzz

Nomad
Jan 8, 2007
The Netherlands
I agree with Squantrill....since he's put zips in my HH too! :You_Rock_

If you push the underblanket aside you can get in OK, though you may have to help the underblanket taking its original position after entering - sticking a hand back out through the velcro (ouch) and giving it a tug in the right direction

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley
anyone got a set of instructions of using the Snugpak Underquilt with a DD Travel hammock?

Nathan, Here's a video for you...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-fNrVhxEXg

If you want to pull the sides up further, just string up a ridge line and fasten the OUTER cords to that, in the same way that the video shows.

Heres a pic of one without the prussics and karabiners,
ub03.jpg
I'm sure between the pic and the video you will suss it out.

Good luck

Jon

Ps. post some pics when you get it rigged up:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE