Snugpak softie elite 5

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

knifeman

Forager
May 27, 2015
england
Does anyone have any experience with this bag? Because there's not much online. It looks fairly good but I would like to see what people who have used it think. Or if anyone had other recommendations in a similar price range that would be greatly appreciated.
Atb George

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
No idea about the elite range, but I've used the softie 10 for years now, no issues. Be careful about their temp rating though, they seem a bit optimistic to me.

I believe the "Elite" range is made abroad, whereas the other kit is made here in the uk, cant say if that makes anything better or worse.

Tonyuk

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
I have the SE5. It's basically the same as the softie 12 with an expander panel built in. The softie version is skin tight on me, but the elite 5 fits comfortably. It's not a small or light bag though- as large as the bouncing bomb, but slightly lighter. Plenty warm enough in the UK and this can be increased further by using a liner and or a bivi bag.

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
Depends on your intended purpose for the bag.if your doing a lot hiking were weights an issues then spend big and get s down bag.if yer just doing a few overnighters in the woods then I'd spend less.i have a dd Jura 2 and used it about Half a dozen times both high level camping and in the woods.n have no complaints.i team mine with an alpkit hunka bivi bag n dont know about the snugpaks only ever owned the jungle one.
http://www.ddhammocks.com/product/dd-jura2-hammock-sleeping-bag

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I used the Elite 4 well into the minuses for a good few years, a nice bag which I only sold when I moved to down.

Brynglas

I have the Elite 4 which I've used in Scotland over winter and Scandinavia down to around -20. They're good bags, not lightweight though, mine weighs 1950g. I like to use synthetic bags if the weather is going to be wet/ damp other if I'm near the coast. And these Elite bags are good. I've used a buffalo bag for years and they're very good as well.

I'm a fairly warm sleeper and find that extra socks, hat and gloves can add at least a season to most sleeping bags.

Down is fantastic if weight is an issue or you're going to be in a very cold environment for some time. It's expensive though and you have to be a bit more careful in caring for it.

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
They're good bags, not lightweight though, mine weighs 1950g.

And thats the problem - synthetic bags are relatively heavy and bulky. I have to admit that my now very old Snugpak Osprey has never been quite as warm as advertised,and is also a bit bulky. When I come to replace it, the first on my list is the Alpkit Skyehigh 900 - https://www.alpkit.com/products/skyehigh-900 - its the best combination of weight/warmth/value you can find in down bags. Yes, the Rab 700 is slighty lighter, but costs about £100 more. Down is simply lighter and packs down a lot smaller.

If going for synthetic, then I'd go for the Mountain Hardware Lamina 0. At 1700g, its considerably lighter than the equivalent Snugpak bag (and that probably would be the Elite 5) , and Cotswold have a flash sale on at the moment, so you can get it for £119, http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/moun...0-regular-sleeping-bag-d2232161?id_colour=157 , which is a very good price.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
If going for synthetic, then I'd go for the Mountain Hardware Lamina 0. At 1700g, its considerably lighter than the equivalent Snugpak bag (and that probably would be the Elite 5) , and Cotswold have a flash sale on at the moment, so you can get it for £119, http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/moun...0-regular-sleeping-bag-d2232161?id_colour=157 , which is a very good price.

There was a time when Snugpak bags were the state of the art for Synthetic bags. But they have since lost that title. The Mountain Hardware bags are much warmer and lighter, and their temperature ratings are actually accurate, unlike the dubious claims that snugpak make.

I have the Laminina 20 (-7°C) and the Lamina 35 (5°C) replacing the Snugpak SF1 and SF2. Am very pleased with both.

J

knifeman

Forager
May 27, 2015
england
Thanks guys, I'm really liking the look of the Jura 2. But all comments appreciated

andibs

Forager
Jan 27, 2012
S. Yorks
I've just bought a Lamina 20 from trekitt in Hereford for about 90 quid online. A £40 saving off normal prices if anyone's interested. Quick delivery too.

Andy

Sparky750

Tenderfoot
Dec 30, 2015
Merseyside
Thanks guys, I'm really liking the look of the Jura 2. But all comments appreciated

That's what I've been eyeing up the past few days good price and although heavy I like the waterproof foot box for hammocking and it should be plenty warm enough for anything uk.

knifeman

Forager
May 27, 2015
england
That's what I've been eyeing up the past few days good price and although heavy I like the waterproof foot box for hammocking and it should be plenty warm enough for anything uk.

If you haven't already, go for it. I ended up buying it and it's great!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE