Slingbow legal in UK?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stuart69

On a new journey
Jul 7, 2008
Glasgow
I've been looking at the Slingbow video's on YouTube (Link) and was wondering if anyone knows whether these are legal for hunting in the UK, I know bow hunting isn't.

Adrian

Forager
Aug 5, 2005
South East London
As you'd be hunting with an arrow, irrespective of the type of bow/launcher, I suspect any Magistrate would find you guilty if you were caught and prosecuted.

I'd check with any of the organisations mentioned in other "can I legally hunt with...?" threads - try contacting DEFRA.

Most of these Acts use definitions of tools/weapons which are sufficiently wide to catch anyone trying to "work around"

Stuart69

On a new journey
Jul 7, 2008
Glasgow
thanks for that Adrian, it does look a bit dodgy as you're still using arrows. I'll have a look around and see what info I can find.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
You could bet your boots that since it is not specifically permitted in law, then it is almost definately illegal.

I doubt that you'll get an answer from BASC as they have no information about it and hence have no informaiton to pass on - that said, if you are a member, you could phone their legal team but again, I'd refer to my first point.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Adrian

Forager
Aug 5, 2005
South East London
Acts of Parliament and common law cases do one of two things; either they specify what MUST be used (as in the sections setting out specific power levels/calibres for different species of deer), or they prohibit what can be used - as in taking game with a bow. In theory, anything that is not specifically mandated or prohibited is legally allowed.

That said, courts have a wide common law discretion to reach determinations. So basically, if the act and precedent caselaw doesn't seem to cover the widget in question (eg the slingbow), the court has a discretion to apply the SPIRIT of the original intention - ie it can say that the Act was intended to prevent hunting with a bow which may be defined as a device to launch arrows to kill the game; therefore anything else that launches arrows to kill game, and which is utilised by the shooter drawing back the string/rubber/whatever - ie applying muscle energy into the device, is, effectively, a bow. Therefore using one to take game is illegal under the (I think) Wildlife and Countryside Acts.

There was - many years ago, a takedown bow sold in the US for backpackers. This was a sort of Y shape, with a long arm uppermost and a shorter arm going off at an angle and using strong slingshot-type elastic to propel the arrow. It didn't do well and dropped off the market, but it shows that the basic idea - if not the specific implementation, is not recent.

Stuart69

On a new journey
Jul 7, 2008
Glasgow
Got a reply back from DEFRA, seems pretty definite the Slingbow is a no-no in the UK.

Dear Stuart

Thank you for your email of 25 February about hunting with a sling bow. I have been asked to reply.

Under Sections 5 and 11 of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 it is an offence to use for the purpose of killing, or taking any wild bird or animal, any bow or crossbow. It is also an offence to knowingly cause or permit to be done, such an act.

In addition, under the Protection of Wild Mammals Act 1996, it is an offence to (amongst other things) stab or impale any wild mammal with intent to inflict unnecessary cruelty, unless it is the killing in a reasonably swift and humane manner of any such wild mammal which has been injured or taken in the course of lawful shooting, hunting, coursing or pest control.

Yours sincerely

Christiana Purnell
Customer Contact Unit
Defra

D

DavidW

Got a reply back from DEFRA, seems pretty definite the Slingbow is a no-no in the UK.
Under Sections 5 and 11 of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 it is an offence to use for the purpose of killing, or taking any wild bird or animal, any bow or crossbow.

Christiana Purnell
Customer Contact Unit
Defra[/FONT]

Am I reading this correctly. You folks in the UK are not permitted to Bow hunt?
As with a regular bow of some type, compound, self, whatever - anything with a springy, tension producing arm and a string for shooting an arrow.

Seems odd and outrageous.

I'm already aware you folks can get into all kinds of trouble for just carrying a knife. But still....

David

Adrian

Forager
Aug 5, 2005
South East London
A lot of the problem is that sales of bows and crossbows are(thankfully) not regulated, and so are free to purchase and own to anyone (subject I think to the usual age restrictions); unfortunately there were (and sometimes still are) a number of instances where ***** bought a bow or more usually a crossbow ( Barnett was the favourite) and shot swans/ ducks/rabbits for "fun", but leaving a wounded and suffering animal.

It was thought that it was a LOT easier and far less intrusive (I know- unusual for our Government) to simply ban bowhunting, than to try and regulate/licence the sale and manufacture of archery equipment. Many may recall the strident cries from a number of directions to simply ban crossbows etc altogether.

It was also recognised by the Government that in fact bowhunting was virtually unknown in the UK anyway - not the case with hunting/stalking/pest control with firearms/airarms, and so banning it did not actually really inconvenience anyone or remove anyone's livelihood.

D

DavidW

It was also recognised by the Government that in fact bowhunting was virtually unknown in the UK anyway - not the case with hunting/stalking/pest control with firearms/airarms, and so banning it did not actually really inconvenience anyone or remove anyone's livelihood.

The King's wildlife I suppose - however your Long Bowmen certainly hunted a lot of enemy soldiers for a few hundred years. OK to shoot two-legged animals but not four-legged ones.

D

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
this thread was posted years ago with reference to hunting with a sling bow. I wondered if you can buy one . I cant seem to find any to consider. Have they been banned altogether or did they just never take off?????

alphaburner

Jan 17, 2014
Cork, Ireland
Look at proshot in the UK. I bought the simple shot to try. I have it but haven’t given it a go. Can be used as a standard bow as well. However it’s expensive. For a potentially cheaper option look at a 3d printed one where you glue in a whisker biscuit .

Last edited:
Reactions: demented dale

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
Look at proshot in the UK. I bought the simple shot to try. I have it but haven’t really given it much of a go. Can be used as a standard bow as well. However it’s expensive. For a potentially cheaper option look at a 3d printed one where you glue in a whisker biscuit .
dya reckon you could add a very powerful band to the simple shot and use a compound release device on it. The band i want to use has broke the handle on my black widow. the pressure on the arm rest pushing against the handle has split it. So i want something that is really strong,

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE