Sleeping bag recommendations??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
I'm going to invest in a new sleeping bag and I've whittles the choice down to about 4

The Mountain Equpment military firestorm 3
Mountain equipment TDS2
Snugpak Softee 10
and snugpak Softee12

What are your thoughts, I want the smallest pack size for the best warmth returned ?? :?:

NickBristol

Forager
Feb 17, 2004
Bristol, UK
I've got a ME Firestorm 2 and a Firestorm 3. Love them both but think that the temp rating is slightly over generous, I think the Comfort temp would be more like the max extreme temp, even when still dressed.

Both pack down compact and are pretty light. You could do a lot worse than the Firestorm or the Firewalker....

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
A while back I mentioned that I wish I had bought a Snugpak sleeping bag as opposed to my ME one and I didn't justify the answer ...

Personally, and for me, I find that the rating on the bags is fine but I have gripes about the bag:

1 - Snag-free zips? Really??!!! No way! This can be really annoying in a hammock or bivi bag.

2 - Sharp velcro. The bag uses velcro fasteners, but not soft velcro but the hard, sharp stuff that is uncomfortable to say the least.

3 - Strings and toggles. I don't know what it is about these bags but the strings always seem to end up around my neck and the toggles in my mouth!!!

Good bags that compress into a small space but a few annoying features ...

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Nice list, but none are as good as the Nanok Endurance range :eek:): . Seriously they are fantastic bags, and cheap too. I repeat myself I know, but: machine washable (no glue), no cold spots, double zip baffles, ability to zip two together, tough compartment for boots, special pillow - shall I go on? A -10 is just £100 (I swear I don't work for them!) :eek:):
:?: In my eyes there's no competition.
Also good are the Ajungilak Tyin's and that ME firestorm.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
arctic hobo said:
Nice list, but none are as good as the Nanok Endurance range :eek:): . Seriously they are fantastic bags, and cheap too. I repeat myself I know, but: machine washable (no glue), no cold spots, double zip baffles, ability to zip two together, tough compartment for boots, special pillow - shall I go on? A -10 is just £100 (I swear I don't work for them!) :eek:):
:?: In my eyes there's no competition.
Also good are the Ajungilak Tyin's and that ME firestorm.

The Nanok bags do look good, how small do they compress?? (I have a 33ltr sack for weekends and the 5 season I have at home fills it up. I can get my old 3 season in fine but it's a bit 'tired and raggeddy' now :cry:

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Watching this thread with interest as I've just a new rucksack (Macpac Tekapo 35+) and really need a smaller sleeping bag for it. Finally realised that my old £25 3 season bag from Ozzie Baileys isnt quite as good as it could be... yeah I know I'm a bit slow ;-)

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
the Rab Quantum bags acctually pack to exactly the same size 15x28cm.. the ones which are slightly smaller and lighter are the above Zero bags at 13x24cm..

Rab Quantum
Rab Atlas

and of the Mountain Equipment Extream Range only the Dewline rivas the Atlas 750 in size at 24x13 cm and in weight at 730 g compared to 1402g for the Atlas 750..
of the Extream Range the Dewline and Lightline are ligher at 730 and 1230

while the Rab Quantum and Extream Range do have better fill material and some have better fill power also..

2p :)

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Yar, but tomtom: £280!!

maddave: they don't pack very small, but you can get a compression sack for them - and thanks to having no glue they don't suffer as much from getting squashed. They don't seem much different from other bags I have seen in size. IMO, their numerous advantages far outweigh average size and average weight.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
K for me the Rab is entirely out of my budget, so out of the Snugpak, Nanok and the ME which one to get? I'm in a similar situation with regards to needing decent packability.

simonsays

Forager
Sep 9, 2004
sunderland
Lithril said:
K for me the Rab is entirely out of my budget, so out of the Snugpak, Nanok and the ME which one to get? I'm in a similar situation with regards to needing decent packability.

You can pick up Rab gear for pretty reasonable prices if you shop around. Santa has just got me a Rab Eclipse 240. Its a 3 season synthetic bag that Rab rate to about 0 degress 'comfort' and -5 degrees 'extreme'. I usually take manufacturers claims with a pince of salt but my previous Rab bag was very conservativly rated as two season but served me well almost all year round. The bag is filled with Dupont Thermolite and the construction quality seems excellent. It only cost £45 from Rock and Run in Ambleside. They do sell online, I'll hunt out the URL if you're interested.

simon

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Rock and Run, think I remember that one from last year when I was up there. What I'm probably going to do instead, of buying one now is wait till after christmas and then spend a long weekend up in the lakes, hopefully pick something up cheap in the Jan sales.

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Personally I go for the Snugpak - can not fault them plus I live close to the factory so I got it cheap.

Mine is a Black on Black 3 - no longer made but more or less the same as the Black luxury 3. It worth the little extra for the Thermal Suede inner - much nice feel than Pertex. Couple with a silk liner it warm, light, packs well and can be throughen in the washing machine.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Well Cotswold have the ME Military TDS3, Nanok Endurance 3 for £100 and the Ajungilak Recharger Winter for £90. Also CMMonline has the ME Dragon 750 for £109 - £60 off, almost wondering whether its worth waiting for Jan Sales.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE