Shoot it or watch it part 2

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shoot it or watch it????

• Total voters

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
It has been at least a couple of years now since I was able to take my air rifles out and hunt. That it has been so long has been a result of geography, there aren't many working farms in this part of the country, and I have moved to other hobbies. It is however something I sorely miss doing.

I have found that I am no-where near as switched on when just out for a walk as I am when hunting. Whether I shoot anything or not, the excuse of being out there with that intent means that I move with greater stealth and precision and am far more sensitive to wind, sun light and small sounds, and as a result see and hear far more wildlife.

I didn't often shoot magpies but I guess I was influenced by conversations earlier in life with a couple of little old ladies, bird lovers both, who thoroughly hated magpies. Hence I tended to try to shoot them most chances I got. Would I do the same now? Probably not, but its hard to say, chances to hunt are so few and far between that I reckon I would be more interested in putting meat in the freezer than shooting corvids.

Corvids in general, and magpies in particular caused me more excitment when hunting than any rabbit or squirrel, purely because of their caution and sharp eye sight. If I stalked close to a crow or a magpie, or even anticipated where they would go and got there first, it was a real buzz, even if no shot presented itself. I will never forget crouching at the edge of a snowy wood, having moments before shot three magpies, and watching the fox that had already picked up the first two birds struggle to get its mouth around the third.

Watching an animal with binoculars, in general, takes far less skill than hunting. Taking decent photos takes even more skill, but I haven't reached the point where I would willingly trade a gun for a camera. I still see aspects of hunting as practical and watching and photographing as recreation, though its probably a distinction that won't work for most people.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
monkey_pork said:
Err, this is going just a bit OT perhaps, and it's in no way at all advocating a cull (they are a protected species anyway of course), nor posted to be inflamatory, but what about the damage to songbirds from the aptly named sparrowhawk?

If you're really concerned about songbird populations, the critter you need to be hunting is the domestic / feral cat.

This came from the RSPB website...

Many of the UK's commonest songbirds have declined during the last 25 years, at a time when populations of magpies increased. To find out why songbirds are in trouble, the RSPB is undertaking intensive research on species such as the skylark and song thrush.

To discover whether magpies (or sparrowhawks) could be to blame for the decline, the RSPB commissioned the British Trust for Ornithology (BTO) to analyse its 35 years of bird monitoring records.

The study found that songbird numbers were no different in places where there were many magpies or sparrowhawks from where there are few. It found no evidence that increased numbers of magpies have caused declines in songbirds and confirms that populations of prey species are not determined by the numbers of their predators.

So shoot 'em if you want but don't expect a massive increase in songbirds just 'cos you killed all the magpies :rolleyes:

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
This the SUN newspaper headline if study had found otherwise?

RSPB TO SHOOT MILLIONS OF BIRDS (AS REVENUE FROM "LITTLE OLD LADIES" PLUMMETS)

Happy holidays!

Cheers

K

AlbeoLupus

Forager
I voted not sure

The choices I was not sure about were just 'shoot it' or 'shoot and eat'.

Killing them would not be a problem, but I like to eat what I kill so only kill things I would eat. If that makes sense (It did as I typed it :confused: ).

As I don't know how they taste, I got :confused: and couldn't decide.

Andy :cool:

P.S.

its late, so I'll use that as an excuse :p

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Glad to see that my vote has pushed the watch it camp into the lead. Yes I would rather watch a magpie than shoot it, I think its something about their eyes, they know something, they are fasinating and I would like to learn more about them...............Jon

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Was going to vote for shoot it (really don't like em - just a crow in a fancy coat and they do kill song birds and rob the moorhen eggs on my pond), but they are native, I won't eat em (don't eat carrion eaters) and the sparrowhawk argument swung me - I wouldn't dream of shooting one of them! I'll stick to reducing the grey squirrels

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE