Shangri-La 3 Nest alternative

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

LM J

Nomad
Nov 26, 2008
Cumbria
Can anyone suggest an alternative to the Shangri-La 3 Nest? I want something lighter and cheaper, without the bathtub floor. It would also need a kind of sod cloth that could be turned inwards to make it bug proof.

lamper

Jun 4, 2009
Brighton UK
www.peligra.com
Do you want it to cover the whole thing or half way?

I am toying with the same problem for when I get my own Shangri-La.

--------------------------------------------------------------
I am thinking about using a life venture mossi-net (available from Millets etc - http://www.millets.co.uk/product/090351.html) - then taking a bathtub floor, cutting it in half and stitching the net around the outside.

This will leave the toggle on the floor to attach the fly - ill add some to the net to attach it half way up as well.

You basically end up with a the bug tent, but a half size version - plus a half floor you can use if needed.

I was inspired by a guy on backpackinglight.com who showed me his version....
1223210917_07733.jpg

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
I've just bought a Life Systems Solo Mosquito Net (for £8:49 delivered!) to use in my Tatonka Tarp Pyramid, not tried it yet.

life_systems_solo_mosi_net.jpg

LM J

Nomad
Nov 26, 2008
Cumbria
Thanks for both your replies. I currently have a Life Systems' UltraNet but want something at least half the size of the shelter, and am happy with a poncho as a groundsheet. I'll check out the Millets' link.

LM J

Nomad
Nov 26, 2008
Cumbria
Ah, a different Life Systems' net. Is the one the fella from Backpacking Light's using the double or single net, do you know? Weight or price's not a problem with either. Did he send you anymore pics?

lamper

Jun 4, 2009
Brighton UK
www.peligra.com
Actually, he made his own from scratch, but having chatted to him we came to the plan I detailed above.

Best thing is to try and find a net like the ones we have spoken about, and then then sew it to a ground sheet of the size you require.

I mentioned using the actual GoLite bath tub floor as the attachment point are in the right place.

It is a shame that no one has seen the gap in the market and made a nest that is not for size for a massively popular shelter.

UKdave

Forager
Mar 9, 2006
Ontario, Canada
can you not use a shangri la 2 nest and floor?
Sorry I had abrain fart!I was thinking a 3 into 5 but it might work

Last edited:

LM J

Nomad
Nov 26, 2008
Cumbria
Thinking about it the net has to cover the whole thing. A bath tub floor's not practical for me as I want to be able to use my stove inside my insect free haven. Plus, with the older Shangri-la model I found the added weight of the nest too much for solo tramping.

Edit: the Outdoorsmagic thread I found was like million pages long. I just want simple solution, preferably without having to make any drastic modifications. Cheers for the link though, matey.

Last edited:

LM J

Nomad
Nov 26, 2008
Cumbria
If you were cut out the bath tub (leaving a skirt of a few inches or so) you'd have a more agreeable weight and more versatile living space. All I need to find is someone willing to part with a nest for a fraction of what they payed for it, so that I can cut it up. :) Wish me luck!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE