Woolley Jumper - recommendations?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Brizzlebush

Explorer
Feb 9, 2019
Bristol
This is the company that I think lists their jumper with Natural Man.
Some nice stuff and not silly prices.

My favourites are second hand, but, you can't always try it on and return it.
Mind you, I've paid £4 just to try stuff on before returning :O_O:

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
The aero company linked above do ones without treatment that I suspect has all the oils left on or in the wool. It's certainly worth seeking that untreated wool out I think.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
I still like my old issued JHW for wearing in the house, worth it. Mind you the Submariner from silvermans looks good. They probably still sell a good version of the JHW as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: British Red

Stockers16

Feb 14, 2021
England
I've got a few, north sea clothing, finisterre rnli roll neck, merino and possum from new Zealand, but my absolute favourite is an arthur beale beereneberg. Smells like sheep and is bombproof

rhaco

Apr 4, 2012
United Kingdom

100% merino wool fleece. Made in Germany.

Really comfortable and warm.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
The good old MOD Wooly Pully for me - I have 3 in various colours and as I have found them all in Charity shops none have cost me more than £5 :)
I sometimes (in extreme cold) layer them with lambswool sweaters - from the same source and at the same kind of price :)

grainweevil

Forager
Feb 18, 2023
Cornwall
I would put decent money on the Arthur Beale stuff being from the manufacturer behind outdoorknitwear.com. Unless you desire the Arthur Beale label on your jumper, there's a not insubstantial saving to be made by going direct.

Reactions: jcr71

haptalaon

Nov 16, 2023
South Wales
I was thinking these Swedish army surplus pullovers looked stylish, and absurdly cheap for a 100% wool jumper at £10, even if it is 2nd hand.

Watch-keeper

Life Member
Sep 3, 2013
London
Austrian army alpine sweater or cardigan gets my vote but finding a genuine one at a reasonable price is next to impossible.
Heimatt and Devold also make some decent jumpers too but again they are very expensive.
British army wooly pulley is a decent bit of kit and can be bought fairly cheaply.
If you trawl the secondhand shops you can find some decent wooly jumpers.

Last edited:

jcr71

Tenderfoot
Aug 6, 2014
hampshire
25% off black Friday deal at mo.
just paid £32.50 for 2 pure wool sweaters and £35 for an army woolly pully.

thanks for the link.
the jumpers turned up today and seem to be very good quality.
would definitely recommend the £15 clearance ones.
with the current 25% off thats just over £11 for a pure wool jumper.

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Another vote for Outdoor Knitwear. I have one of their 1945s and just got one of their erebus boat neck pullovers. Very reasonably priced considering the quality.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE