Rough Close ~ Midlands ~ September'11 Meet.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JulesC

Tenderfoot
Jun 24, 2011
Midlands
Hi,

I'm waiting to check with SWMBO to see if my diary allows. One point to re-itterate I'm an assistant with a Scout Group and we camped here a few weeks ago. Whilst there are lots of trees there is little or no wood to collect, standing, fallen, ill green wood etc as hoards of Scouts/Cubs over the year have cleaned the place out so you will need to bring your own - I know it was said before but it really is a problem if you haven't got your own wood pile, in addition to the rules above.

Jules

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Hi,

I'm waiting to check with SWMBO to see if my diary allows. One point to re-itterate I'm an assistant with a Scout Group and we camped here a few weeks ago. Whilst there are lots of trees there is little or no wood to collect, standing, fallen, ill green wood etc as hoards of Scouts/Cubs over the year have cleaned the place out so you will need to bring your own - I know it was said before but it really is a problem if you haven't got your own wood pile, in addition to the rules above.

Jules

Ohhh... I'm sure we'll find some ;)

Lupin Rider

Mar 15, 2009
uk
Ohhh an RC newbie... this'll be fun :lmao:

We'll be gentle with you John:rolleyes::D Sue and the kids coming as well?

They would like to but i wasnt sure you guys would handle that? They are missing the moot already! Luke is still wearing the eye patch from captn b.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
They would like to but i wasnt sure you guys would handle that? They are missing the moot already! Luke is still wearing the eye patch from captn b.

No restrictions on family groups attending as far as I know... :)

The only thing to bear in mind is I doubt there'll be any other kids of a similar age there as well so you'll be their main source of entertainment for the weekend :D

Luke will soon ditch the eyepatch in favour of a helmet and sword once he meets Wayland :lmao:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Meet List:

By adding your name you acknowledge that you have read and will comply with post #01 of this thread and accept that it can (and probably will) be edited before the Meet.

decorum
Mesquite +1
udamiano
Wayland and Debs TBC
PeterH TBC
Priam TBC
Sasquatch and possibly Joseph TBC
Elines
Spikey DaPikey TBC
Twodogs
MJM1
Lupin rider
Treadlightly
TinkyPete TBC
luckylee
John Fenna

JulesC

Tenderfoot
Jun 24, 2011
Midlands
Got permission from SWMBO, but then 2 hours later and before I could sign up I was asked to help at a Scout fundraiser over this weekend PANTS!!!

I'll keep an eye open as I want to meet the other bearded men in the woods I've met through the internet in the Midlands.

Hope we can have another meet before Christmas.

Jules

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Meet List:

By adding your name you acknowledge that you have read and will comply with post #01 of this thread and accept that it can (and probably will) be edited before the Meet.

decorum
Mesquite +1
udamiano
Wayland and Debs - Almost Certain
PeterH TBC
Priam TBC
Elines
Spikey DaPikey TBC
Twodogs
MJM1
Lupin rider
Treadlightly
TinkyPete TBC
luckylee
John Fenna

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
Meet List:

decorum
Mesquite +1
udamiano
PeterH TBC
Priam TBC
Elines
Spikey DaPikey TBC
Twodogs
MJM1
Lupin rider
Treadlightly
TinkyPete TBC
luckylee and maybe my son. kian.
John Fenna

Caboose

Apr 7, 2011
uk
Hi I was just wondering about some more definition on where we can and cannot go. OP says

As with our previous Meet, we are on The Leader Training Field (NOT on PC11).

Does this mean that we are only allowed on the leader training field, or does this mean that the communal area is designated to PC11 and we are allowed to spread ourselfs out within the whole forrest? I'm wondering this as I would like to go and bring 2 friends, but concerned we might not find our own lil secluded area. Thanks

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Hi I was just wondering about some more definition on where we can and cannot go. OP says

Does this mean that we are only allowed on the leader training field, or does this mean that the communal area is designated to PC11 and we are allowed to spread ourselfs out within the whole forrest? I'm wondering this as I would like to go and bring 2 friends, but concerned we might not find our own lil secluded area. Thanks

We're booked to use the wooded areas adjacent to the Leaders Training field but we're not allowed to spread through out Rough Close wherever it takes your fancy. When you arrive either Decorum or one of the 'old hands' will advise you just what the boundaries are and where you can and can't pitch up :)

The area is large enough that you ought to be fine having your own little spot and not be cheek by jowl with everyone else.

Last edited:

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire

As Steve said, we're booked to be on the Leader Training Field and we can make use of the surrounding wooded bit ~ including some of the plantation.

The reason for the (NOT on PC11) is wholely down to us having switched pitch ~ up until we booked the Leader Training Field for the July Meet we had been using PC11 (PC is the abbreviation of Pocket Campsite).

As Steve said, we're booked onto a specific area and we need to keep within that area ~ but finding/using a secluded* spot within the booked area is fine :cool: .

* Please be aware that absolute seclusion is doubtful and certainly can't be guaranteed.

Muddy Boots

Settler
May 27, 2009
warwickshire
Meet List:

decorum
Mesquite +1
udamiano
PeterH TBC
Priam TBC
Elines
Spikey DaPikey TBC
Twodogs
MJM1
Lupin rider
Treadlightly
TinkyPete TBC
John Fenna
Muddy Boots

Karl82

Oct 15, 2010
Leicester
Meet List:

decorum
Mesquite +1
udamiano
PeterH TBC
Priam TBC
Elines
Spikey DaPikey TBC
Twodogs
MJM1
Lupin rider
Treadlightly
TinkyPete TBC
John Fenna
Muddy Boots
Karl82

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Meet List:

decorum
Mesquite +1
udamiano
Wayland and Debs - Come hell or high water.
PeterH TBC
Priam TBC
Elines
Spikey DaPikey TBC
Twodogs
MJM1
Lupin rider
Treadlightly
TinkyPete TBC
John Fenna
Muddy Boots
Karl82
Bayleaf

Job Done.

Lupin Rider

Mar 15, 2009
uk

decorum
Mesquite +1
udamiano
Wayland and Debs - Come hell or high water.
PeterH TBC
Priam TBC
Elines
Spikey DaPikey TBC
Twodogs
MJM1
Lupin rider + my pal dave
Treadlightly
TinkyPete TBC
John Fenna
Muddy Boots
Karl82
Bayleaf

My pal added.

Ozzy

Sep 5, 2011
Warwickshire
Hello all!

Allow me to introduce myself, I'm Ozzy from Warwickshire. I stumbled across this site and the midland meet threads here after a bit of a search. I had a look at the photos from a recent meet and it looks great fun.

I may be younger than some (I'm 31) but in the last 18 months I've really had a renewed interest and love for being outdoors camping/hiking/fishing etc. As a kid I was always out in the woods making "bases" and learning basic bushcraft skills I suppose. I went through the cubs, scouts and Army cadets but as may be the case for many I drifted away from it all a bit into my late teens and twenties.

Lately I've been spending more time outside and invested in some good outdoor/survival kit which I'm constantly adding to. I don't get out into the woods enough and i don't know anyone who shares these interests and doing it totally alone isn't always the best fun and I have no one to learn from apart from my own experiences and research. I would really like to come to one of these meets if I am welcome? I have most things necessary to see me through a few days in the woods (means of shelter, suitable clothing, tools and cook set etc) and I respect nature and believe I am a sensible/conscientious person. Littering and being disrespectful to others is not something I tolerate!

the only trouble I would have is committing to meets a long time in advance due to the nature of my work where I may be expected to turn up to a job at short notice. If I can make it I would be really interested in coming along this month before it starts getting too cold and maybe out of my depth. It would be a good opportunity to find out what additional kit may be required heading into the colder months and to meet some new people and hopefully gain some experience.

Please let me know what I need to do to join the group as it were. I'd be more than happy to answer any questions you may have for me!

Thanks everyone,

Ozzy

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
First of all hello and welcome to the forum Ozzy :)

Please let me know what I need to do to join the group as it were. I'd be more than happy to answer any questions you may have for me!

Apart from the most secret and arcane iniation rites that you will have to perform under a moonlit night :evilangel: not lot :lmao:

There's several newbies who have their name down to attend this meet so you won't be alone during the iniation :rolleyes: We're a friendly bunch and you'll be made to feel welcome.

Just read the rules and add your name to the list. If you need to know anything else feel free to ask away :)

Edit: Bringing plenty of nice beverages of an alcoholic nature to share is an extremely good way of being made extremely welcome :D

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE