Recommend me a book on trapping and snares please.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Handmade Matt

Tenderfoot
Oct 22, 2011
Surrey
I don't wish to turn trapping or snaring into a hobby but I feel that it is valuable knowledge and I am interested to learn more and have a book on the shelf with a wealth of information in case it were to ever come in handy.
Many thanks.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Its OK having 'the knowledge' Matt but if you can you should actually get out with someone who knows their stuff and learn hands on. You'll learn more in a morning than the hours spent reading about it.

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
Its OK having 'the knowledge' Matt but if you can you should actually get out with someone who knows their stuff and learn hands on. You'll learn more in a morning than the hours spent reading about it.

Good advice, not the sort of thing that you can plough into after reading a book, it is a highly skilled practice and a bit of a dying art, snares must be set so as to cause minimal distress to the animal and by law must be checked every 24 hours minimum, plenty of good reading here as regards the present legislation

http://www.snarewatch.org/about/the-law-and-snaring

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland

Agreed but the hard bit will be finding someone. Most courses seem to move away from this area or touch on it too little

Last edited:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Have a scout around the 'net for articles and books by the late Phil Drabble - nobody knew more than him about it, and more to the point, nobody could get it across in words like he could: but rik_uk3 gave the best advice, this is an art, not just a craft, and needs hands on with someone who knows their onions - and as MikeLA says, they're few and far between nowdays..........Be very careful with what traps you use in regards to the law!

Let us know how you get on with it, atb mac

The Ratcatcher

Apr 3, 2011
Manchester, UK
It's a shame you live at at the opposite end of the country, because I'm one of those "few and far between" individuals who make a living with traps and snares, and always ready to help anybody who is serious about learning the skills of trapping. Just be careful not to fall foul of the law.

The only traps that can be used legally (other than mouse/rat traps) are listed in The Spring Traps Approval (England) Order 2012, and similar regulations for Scotland and Wales. Improvised traps of the type found in survival books are illegal, and could land you in court with the possibility of a massive fine or jail time if convicted.

The most important knowledge needed for successful trapping is not knowing about a wide range of traps, but about the biology and behaviour of the target species. You also need to know what other wildlife is in the area, because if you catch an Otter in a lethal trap set for Mink, you are in BIG trouble.

If you do come across a problem you can't find an answer to, PM me and I'll try to help.

Alan

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
If you really want to learn this skill, you should snatch the offer from The Ratcatcher with both hands, and make the time to do it - you won't get an offer like that from a man who knows what he's at again................
It's that kind of willingness to help someone that makes this forum the valuable resource it is................good stuff, The Ratcatcher!..................atb mac

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE