Recommend an Ultralight Tarp

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

scottisha5

Maker
Nov 14, 2009
Motherwell, Scotland, UK
Hi Folks,

Been using a DD 3 x 3 tarp (650g) but ive got that ultralight bug and want to go down in weight/size.

Anyone recommend a tarp thats lighter but still good quality?

Thanks in advance

John
ScottishA5
Motherwell

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
I use a Kathmandu tarp (2.5m x 2.5m) and it's the bees knees. It's not the lightest but the silnylon ones (or cuben fibre) cost a lot more. Team io make cuben fibre tarps in the UK - apparently they are the ultimate in ultralight but I can't vouch for their durability.

scottisha5

Maker
Nov 14, 2009
Motherwell, Scotland, UK
Hi and thanks for info so far.

The mac cat deluxe looks the berries, is there a uk supplier or do I have to order from USA (taxes etc etc).

Anyone else with any other ideas?

Thanks in advance

John

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Hi John, for me its the True North small tarp that i used at the Brownlee pond meet, its only slightly smaller than the DD but its the best tarp i have out of the 3 i currently have. the woodlore 2.5 x 1.8 is a good tarp, but it is just to small for hammock and bivi use, you really nead at least 3m in lenth and at least 2.5m in width any smaller and you are sure to get wet, but thats only my opinion on the experience ive gained with the 3 different sizes.

All the best, hope you and Gerry are still out and about on your Wednesday afternoon jaunts and enjoying yourself.

Colin

scottisha5

Maker
Nov 14, 2009
Motherwell, Scotland, UK
Hi Colin,

Good to hear from you, I was on the phone today to Bob at Backpackinglight.co.uk today. He tells me the TN is a good tarp but the weight at 1.2 kgs put me off. Now if you asked me to estimate your TN tarp weight, Id have said nowhere near 1.2 kgs. Can you confirm the weight?

Yes Gerry, Neil and I are still out every Wednesday night in Lanarkshire somewhere (not tonight I've got the kids, xmas etc) and braving the elements.

Your more than welcome as is anyone to join us.

John
ScottishA5
Motherwell

tetra_neon

Forager
Oct 1, 2005
E Mids
I got into UL hiking this year and have really been enjoying it.

Check out Mountain Laurel Designs - I think they have some of the best tarp/shelter designs.

Personally, I think a rectangular open tarp is fine for low activity if you're staying in the woods but after miles of walking and if the weather suddenly turns it's much better to have something more enclosed. I went with the 'Duomid' in cuben. Link

It's really roomy for one and would be snug for two - but they also do one-man designs.

No connection just a very happy customer. The customs duty was a b*tch though.

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Another vote for Kathmandu. My 2.85 x 2.5m Weighs 400g. Ya cant beat that! :)
Strong material too.
Only place still selling them is Bison Bushcraft I think.

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Hi John, yes your right the tarp is nowhere near 1.2kg, i would assume that thats the total weight. With the True North tarp you also get a bag full of pegs and also 2 net bags complete with a wack of guy lines for use with walking poles in case there aint no trees around.

But as you know all things in this field are really a compromise between weight and quality and its really just a personal preference on what you go for, me, im outside that often that any kit thats not really up to it will soon fall apart, and lets be honest 1kg aint that much any way when you consider all the useless crap that most of us take on trips anyway, i mean do you really have to take Gerry with you, surely hes is more than 1.2kg, (he he he), only kidding Gerry, ive just read this back and it sounds like im calling you useless crap, i think i will retract that one, especially after hearing about some of your army adventures where the local falkland boys probably still refuse to go on exercise any more.

Plus the True North tarp is endorsed by that famous kit junky Col Newman, how can you not buy it mate!!!!

All the best and a Happy Christmas to you boys over in Motherwell

Colin

Carbuncle

Forager
Jan 12, 2009
Merseyside
I've got one of these: http://www.cascadedesigns.com/MSR/Tents/Fast-And-Light-Tents/E-Wing/product

It's about £45 or so, and only 180g allegedy [edit: 275g on my scales, in stuff sack with cord and 4xmini carabiners], but if my DD is anything to go by, those weights aren't to be trusted. I've bivvied under it a few times. It'll _just_ cover you lengthwise in a-frame config, but I tend to use it side on (as per the other pic), with just my head and shoulders under, along with stove and pack. It's also light enough to leave in your daysack when hillwalking, though its _very_ tight for two to shelter under. Having said that, I've found using a 3mx3m DD tarp in windy conditions in the mountains very difficult.

Hence, like the OP I'm on the lookout for another tarp, shelter for two during the day, good for bivvying or hammocking, and to replace one of my larger ones (DD or Hennesey Hex). I'm torn between the 2.5x2.5m Bison one, or the alpkit Rig 7. If anyone's got any info on the Bison one, especially weight, I'd be really interested to hear.The alpkit looks great, but it should be much lighter relative to the DD, though it's possible that their 514g is an honest one - my kitchen scales have the DD tarp at 860g in reality. That would be about right, 76g/sq.m for the silnylon vs 95 for the PU coated polyester. It would have a diagonal of about 12 ft too, spot on for hammocking. Hmm, I'll be shaking them chrissy cards for cash, tomorrow ;-)

Last edited:

scottisha5

Maker
Nov 14, 2009
Motherwell, Scotland, UK
Hi all.

Went for the True North Small Tarp as endorsed by the Master Kit Junkie Coln18 lol. If your ever looking for a review of kit give him a call he is bound to have it or at least have had it and moved on. :)

Ordered the tarp and a honey stove from backpackinglight.co.uk on 23rd Dec and it arrived 1300 hrs 24th Dec, I was astounded. Well done to BPL and thanks for the bag of skittles that was in the box. Th Tarp weighs in at around 800g when you take the pegs and paddle bags out the kit.

Happy new year to all and hope to catch up soon, Coln18 Gerry sends his regards.

Pip pip

John

Carbuncle

Forager
Jan 12, 2009
Merseyside
Just to follow up on the Alpkit Rig 7, if anyone is interested, just received one from today, and I'm well impressed. According to my scales it's around 520g in its stuffsack, vs 860g for my DD tarp, or about 20% less per sqm of coverage. It's really well made. The silnylon appears the same as my MSR, but it's heavily reinforced, with solid attachment points and a reinforced hem all round. There are only loops on the corners though (apart from the lifter points), which might put some off - the remainder have holes in them like this photo:
exteriorpoints.jpg

The only colour they have in stock is steel, but it's a discrete grey, should blend in on the mountains. More of a walkers/bivviers tarp that a bushcrafting one, it seems to me to be geared up for use with walking poles. I cant see any reason it wouldn't work well as a hammock tarp, either, on the diagonal.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE