rays smock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I took the plunge and got one of Ray's Tahr anoraks. They are beautifully made and have a really nice soft and quiet 'handle'. The hood is extremely good and the pockets are pretty serviceable.

I have three criticisms. The first relates to the cuffs. The velcro/neoprene combination is very good at keeping out rain but does not allow for much, if any, venting when the weather is slightly gentler (which it usually is). The chest pockets are good - large and well-positioned - but a couple of hand-warmer ones would not go amiss. I think my biggest criticism is about the cut of it. Unless you are of more sumo wrestler dimensions, there seem to be acres of fabric which hangs uselessly. Hitch it in using the waist drawcord and you transform yourself into Friar Tuck. I had thought that this surplus cloth would catch on every branch and bramble in the woods, ripping this Goretex gem. Thankfully, it does not but the folds of fabric do make the Tahr a weighty waterproof.

That said, I do like it but I am still waiting for the weather to give it a real test of its abilities. Perhaps my criticisms are borne out of frustration, waiting for some really good savage weather!

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
Tiley said:
I took the plunge and got one of Ray's Tahr anoraks. They are beautifully made and have a really nice soft and quiet 'handle'. The hood is extremely good and the pockets are pretty serviceable.

I have three criticisms. The first relates to the cuffs. The velcro/neoprene combination is very good at keeping out rain but does not allow for much, if any, venting when the weather is slightly gentler (which it usually is). The chest pockets are good - large and well-positioned - but a couple of hand-warmer ones would not go amiss. I think my biggest criticism is about the cut of it. Unless you are of more sumo wrestler dimensions, there seem to be acres of fabric which hangs uselessly. Hitch it in using the waist drawcord and you transform yourself into Friar Tuck. I had thought that this surplus cloth would catch on every branch and bramble in the woods, ripping this Goretex gem. Thankfully, it does not but the folds of fabric do make the Tahr a weighty waterproof.

That said, I do like it but I am still waiting for the weather to give it a real test of its abilities. Perhaps my criticisms are borne out of frustration, waiting for some really good savage weather!

At long last a made to measure garment for me, I have just ordered one. :)

kram245

Tenderfoot
Aug 4, 2006
suffolk
I'm with Tiley on this, Swazi and their distributers make great play about the cuffs, but for me they are too tight, making it nearly impossible to push your sleeves up, to either vent some heat, or prior to gralloching a deer. Seeing as they are from New Zealand, home of merino wool, i'd have liked to see wool cuffs, like on a para smock. The rest of the smock I like, but think the 2 pocket version by Woodlore is better than my one. Definatley have stood up to the outdoors very well, look a bit odd for casual use, though!

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
Tony Cameron said:
sold by tamarack in the uk and remember guys we give 10% discount to all BCUK members just input tam10 in the promotional code box on the checkout to get it. Makes an impact on the smock at £230

If you put tam95 in do you get a 95% discount ????? :D :D :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE