rays smock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
I forgot the programme was on, so I will watch it on sunday....
Do you mean this jacket...
tahr20for20website0lb.jpg

If so, its the tahr anorak, by swazi, and is for sale on the woodlore site....

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
yes it is a swazi tahr from new zealand ,i have one and although i have had this for a good few months now i have not used it very much .i am very pleased with it ,but have not worn it long enough to say much more !they are very expensive ,i got mine at a very discounted price ,but now i have one i am not sure i would pay the £250 or there abouts price .i am on the verge of falling out with goretex as i use goretex jackets and trousers every other day for work and have tried various makes/models i have not found any that have stood up to rain all day ,i meen over a 8-10 hour shift .they have all failed badly and the rain has come in somewhere or other.

jamesoconnor

Nomad
Jul 19, 2005
Hamilton, lanarkshire
Dont you dare even think about buying one. I saw it first and do not want to look like your clone next time we are out canoeing!!!!! :D :nana: We are going to have to end up phoning each other to see what each of us is wearing and has with them. Same Duluth packs, same jacket and soon I'll have the same canoe. :lmao: :lmao:

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
w00dsmoke said:
Come on guys be origional!

Just cause Uncle Ray has one ...be your own masters! :lmao:

anthonyyy said:
Oh God not this again!

Hey come on guys be fair! :(

backwoodsman didn't say he was going to buy one, just asked what it was.
If you don't like threads about people who want to know about Mr Mears's kit and where to buy, how good they are etc then fair play to you, that's the benfit of this forum...just don't look ;)

This is one of backwoodsman's first posts on this site....let's be a bit more welcoming and not chastise him just because he wants to know about someone else's gear.
You could say the same about anyones gear...."I want a swandri ranger shirt"......."Oh well Mors and lofty have those so why not be a bit original?"

Not very fair IMO. I have a few items from the woodlore website. Most bought before i found this forum so, as far as i knew that was the only avialable site for 'quality' outdoor items. Of course i know better now and i'm sure that other people will have the same experience.

I work on this principle.....if it is good enough for Ray,Mors and Lofty, then i will never give such an item as hard a life as they do. If it lasts for them, it will last for me too :D they are my testers and reviewers.

MikeDB

Jack in the Green
Dec 13, 2005
East Yorkshire
MagiKelly said:
How do you find the sleeve length Gill? I do fancy one but with my ape like arms I am concerned it would be too short.

I have what some describe as arms like a gorilla, (fairly long :eek: ) and I find the arm lenght on my Tahr a really good fit. Nice and long, unrestrictive and a really, really good cuff system.

Mike

Reactions: MagiKelly

MikeDB

Jack in the Green
Dec 13, 2005
East Yorkshire
ArkAngel said:
Hey come on guys be fair! :(

backwoodsman didn't say he was going to buy one, just asked what it was.
If you don't like threads about people who want to know about Mr Mears's kit and where to buy, how good they are etc then fair play to you, that's the benfit of this forum...just don't look ;)

This is one of backwoodsman's first posts on this site....let's be a bit more welcoming and not chastise him just because he wants to know about someone else's gear.
You could say the same about anyones gear...."I want a swandri ranger shirt"......."Oh well Mors and lofty have those so why not be a bit original?"

Not very fair IMO. I have a few items from the woodlore website. Most bought before i found this forum so, as far as i knew that was the only avialable site for 'quality' outdoor items. Of course i know better now and i'm sure that other people will have the same experience.

I work on this principle.....if it is good enough for Ray,Mors and Lofty, then i will never give such an item as hard a life as they do. If it lasts for them, it will last for me too :D they are my testers and reviewers.

At last, a voice of reason. Rep Sir!

Mike

Reactions: ArkAngel

Aliwren

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Bedford
I bought the mears/swazi tahr last week and I am really impressed, though not yet given it a full outdoor test. The mears/swazi is about the same price as the standard tahr in the UK but has an extra pocket and afew extras. I really like the moleskin style finish on it.

Size wise the large seems roomier than a large swanni ranger shirt (if this comparison helps) and the arms are longer giving plenty of movement. The cuffs look good for keeping out water. edit - (just tested I can wear the jacket comfortably over my swannie!)

Jacket is really long - just above my knees (im 6ft) but can be tucked up to look more 'normal'. Wearing it really feels like you are protected against whatever the weather can throw at you!

Hope this helps :)

Big John

Nomad
Aug 24, 2005
Surrey
Jon Pickett said:
I forgot the programme was on, so I will watch it on sunday....

It doesn't appear to be repeated this weekend - Top Gear is back. Shame, I was a couple of minutes late starting the recorder last night and though 'no problem will just record it on sunday' :censored:

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
Hi,

Its nice to see Ray using the Swazi gear but he didn't invent it. Don't get turned off simply because the Swazi kit is being popularised by him.

I'm from NZ and have owned and used a Swazi Wapiti jacket for years. It is expensive but so is most high-end gortex clothing.

The jacket I have is a good fit for me (I'm also large and gorilla-like) and has worked and lasted very well.

Remember that this jacket was designed for hunters not back-packers so it is not the lightest jacket around. I assume the Tahr is also fairly heavy.

I'd almost certainly buy another Swazi when my current jacket wears out.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Huon

chas

Feb 22, 2006
mid essex
Big John said:
It doesn't appear to be repeated this weekend - Top Gear is back. Shame, I was a couple of minutes late starting the recorder last night and though 'no problem will just record it on sunday' :censored:
Sky says it's on @ 11.25 Monday night and it was very good, as I watched Uncle Ray I had a hankering for a venison sarny, so be warned.

backwoodsman

Nomad
Jan 22, 2007
lincolshire
Thanks for guys who stood up for me, Yes it is one of my first posts,
however l have pretty much more experience of the outdoors and survival than most of the people on this forum, done it real time with bullets!!!
l was just interested in the jacket as l had not seen one before , anyway thanks to my post another member contacted me about the said jacket, brand new , only too small for him so l got it for £99, bet you would all of had that one.
Anyway great website, friendly banter is good for you.
Rick

A

Alex Thorneycroft-Taylor

As I mentioned in one of my other posts - I am currently reviewing the Tahr jacket for a UK based importer.

Although I like Rays extra pockets etc - this would make it useless for a person shooting a shotgun as the pocket would catch the butt if the gun of you are right handed.

Interestingly though, the jacket is only available (from what I am aware) from Swazi with a pocket on the left side - so not good for lefties!!

I am out for the first time in it tomorrow doing some pigeon shooting so will see how it goes...

Do like the feel of it though.

Alex

backwoodsman said:
Thanks for guys who stood up for me, Yes it is one of my first posts,
however l have pretty much more experience of the outdoors and survival than most of the people on this forum, done it real time with bullets!!!
l was just interested in the jacket as l had not seen one before , anyway thanks to my post another member contacted me about the said jacket, brand new , only too small for him so l got it for £99, bet you would all of had that one.
Anyway great website, friendly banter is good for you.
Rick

WOW - great value at 99 quid mate.

Are you pleased with it?? It a jacket I quite fancy owning myself - is it as good as it would appear to be?

Cheers,

Phil.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE