Rangers Shirt Extreme by Swanndri any good?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Scuba Pete

Forager
Nov 3, 2005
Glasgow
I have heard good things about the Rangers Shirt Extreme. What do you think. I have a few quid saved up and was thinking of getting one.

Will they keep me nice and warm in scotland during winter? I was thinking of using it under my gortex jacket.

What do you wear underneath? I know wool is itchy sometimes.

Montivagus

Nomad
Sep 7, 2006
gone
Their stuff is just downright lovely! I found the initial slight "itch" disappeared after about a day, two at the most. I live in the stuff Sept – April! :D

Scuba Pete

Forager
Nov 3, 2005
Glasgow
Sounds good. I just thought I would wear the gortex if the weather was really bad, or if I was walking etc.

I thought the waterproof would be great under light rain, or can it handle more?

How waterproof is the standard shirt?

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Waterproof....hmmm. Its not exactly waterproof, becuase wool obviously soaks up the water, it also gets substancially heavier when wet. So although it takes a while for the water to come through it becomes very heavy and takes ages to dry out again, as most natural fibres do.

Montivagus

Nomad
Sep 7, 2006
gone
I'd rate them dry to drizzle. The bush shirt can handle a bit more but really its just delaying the arrival of water to your skin. In real rain they fail miserably compared to Gore-tex. ;)

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I've never tried the Ranger extreme, but I can't help feeling that putting the water resistant layer inside the wool layer rather defeats the point. A wet swannie is pretty heavy (I speak from experience having fallen out of a canoe in one.)

The standard Swannie Ranger is good kit - warm, fairly light, fireproof and silent. The weave is quite open so without an outer layer the wind cuts through it a bit though.

My preferred option is to wear a wicking baselayer with the swannie ranger on top. If it gets windy, or just cold, then I put a pertex windshirt (Arktis, packs into supplied tiny bag, weighs little, olive green, modestly shower resistant, costs £15 or so) on top. If it's actually raining, a waterproof shell jacket is used instead.

Works for me.

Montivagus

Nomad
Sep 7, 2006
gone
I could be wrong on this but I thought it was a choice between standard shirt and shirt with windproof layer not waterproof. :rolleyes:
I would then refer the honourable gentleman to the answer Lurch gave some moments ago. :lmao:

Scuba Pete

Forager
Nov 3, 2005
Glasgow
I must have miss read the info. I was sure the liner was waterproof not just wind proof. In that case I will just get the standard version. Well if I have any spare cash.

Pete

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
A lot of websites say the Extreme has a wind and waterproof liner.

Maybe someone who has one can enlighten us?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE