Possible meet in Ayrshire

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
Hi folks don't know how solid this is at the moment but a friend of mine has been doing some work at Eglinton Park, a small country park near where I live. It is a venue used occasionally by various groups in the area for hosting shows and steam rallies and such like, also scout groups for their annual camp. Anyway while I was chatting to him there today, one of the rangers came over and joined the conversation. Chat got round to talking about bushcraft and venues for meet ups and the possibility of having a weekend meet there was mentioned, subject to approval of the appropriate bosses of course. In order to put forward a proposal to him I would need an idea of how many might be interested in this and also possible dates. There is a large flat field area for tents but the hammock side is an unknown factor until I speak to the head ranger face to face as this has never been requested before but the field is surrounded by a band of trees suitable for the purpose. There are loos and a tap for water on the field and a good sized car park next to the field. The ranger service provide public walks for groups around the park showing the flora and fauna in the park so they could well provide a bit of a presentation on plant and tree id for us. Anyway this is just to test interest and possible dates at the moment for me to approach the head ranger with something in mind nothing more at this stage. So who would be up for this, and my thinking is March / April / May / June, somewhere in that region, and the place has the capacity for big numbers.

scottishwolf

Settler
Oct 22, 2006
Ayr
I'm up for that one. I'd prefer it was earlier in the year though due to the fact that in the summer Eglington park is hoaching with dafties. I fish there regularly and there has been of lot of vandalism to cars etc at night. Not sure where the field you're talking about for the meet but as long as it's away from the main car parks it should be ok. Lots of other places in Ayrshire for a bushy meet. I'll look out some stuff when I'm in college today. I'm doing a countryside management degree and the main part we are doing just now is recreation in Ayrshire. I'll see what I can find and let you know later on. Cheers, Davie

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
i know it well, this is where i grew up playing.never had any ,or seen any dafties aboot though.Eggy must be one of the nicest parks around.

morch

Native
May 19, 2005
Darlington
Nathan and I are definately up for it Jon, Liz too probably. As for dates, i can only manage when ever its arranged for ;)

Dave

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'm interested :D
It's a lovely park, worked there a few years ago, 'mostly' nice folks but there were a few iijits among the teenage lads crowd :sigh:

See how it goes :) thanks for thinking about this John :D

atb,
M

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
The field is on the left just as you enter from the roundabout, it has a small building at the end which houses the toilets. At the moment this is only chat but I will leave this open for responses till the end of the week and see what we've got before going to speak with the head ranger. It has been suggested but still needs confirmation that there is no charge for people. It is a lovely park and is well located with a 5 min drive to a good shopping centre. There is also a good course fishing pond in the park and some terrific woodland paths and walks.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Oh, I should think so John:D

I've been thinking of one down Glentrool way before the midgies come out.
No walk in, it'd be at the old Caldons campsite.

Plenty parking but still out of the way.

Plenty hillwalking,walking about and I'd do a birdwatching walk.

Of course I'd do a birdwalk at Eglinton too.

Glentrool is near Newton Stewart for those not familiar.

I'm sure Davie will have a venue to think about too shortly.

Eglinton Park is at Irvine.

Both easily accessed off the main roads.

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
Sounds like a great response so far, so I'll start a list to keep me right ok we have

Sniper
Scottishwolf
Gill
Morch
Scout
Mischief
Toddy
Big Geordie
Gaillaine
Windward
Wayland
Treeclipper
Nagual
Barn Owl

If you just add your name to the list and we'll see what we have by the weekend. That should give me a decent idea of possibles by then. Hopefully I can arrange to see the head ranger sometime next week. My thinking is more on the earlier part March April time trying to beat the midgies although there are far worse places for them than here. I make that 14 so far, what no interest from over the divide apart from Wayland?

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
Terrific I'll add your name mate,

Sniper
Scottishwolf
Gill
Morch
Scout
Mischief
Toddy
Big Geordie
Gaillaine
Windward
Wayland
Treeclipper
Nagual
Barn Owl
Alpha Centaur

korvin karbon

Native
Jul 12, 2008
Fife
Sniper
Scottishwolf
Gill
Morch
Scout
Mischief
Toddy
Big Geordie
Gaillaine
Windward
Wayland
Treeclipper
Nagual
Barn Owl
Alpha Centaur
Korvin Karbon

Me too :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE