Polish lavvu

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

knifeman

Forager
May 27, 2015
england
Hi guys,
I'm thinking of getting a half of a polish lavvu for day trips and summer wild camps. I know it's fairly heavy but I'm big into my traditional kit and it looks quite nice.
So if anyone has any experience with them please let me know how you found it!

Atb George

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
It's doable but a bit tight, with the one half. I prefer to use both halves.

Old school kit 004.jpg 009.jpg

[video=youtube;qV9qRDSSOZk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qV9qRDSSOZk[/video]

Make sure you proof the Laavu before you use it.

Last edited:

Nic Le Becheur

Forager
Sep 10, 2015
Ludlow
Hi George,

I've never used these for a single-poncho setup. I am so fond of the double-poncho setup, though, that I find it well worth the extra load weight to pack both halves. That gives you a tent that can withstand any weather. The single-poncho shelter leaves one a bit open to the elements. For lighter-weight but traditional, I prefer the Norwegian army poncho, which is an elongated diamond shape, simply pegging down 3 corners and tying the fourth to a tree trunk, as here:
img_019.jpg
. If where there are no trees, you can always use a fence post or a rock in a drystone wall.

knifeman

Forager
May 27, 2015
england
Hi George,

I've never used these for a single-poncho setup. I am so fond of the double-poncho setup, though, that I find it well worth the extra load weight to pack both halves. That gives you a tent that can withstand any weather. The single-poncho shelter leaves one a bit open to the elements. For lighter-weight but traditional, I prefer the Norwegian army poncho, which is an elongated diamond shape, simply pegging down 3 corners and tying the fourth to a tree trunk, as here:
img_019.jpg
. If where there are no trees, you can always use a fence post or a rock in a drystone wall.

Ahh thanks, I think you on to something there, I like the look of the Norwegian poncho

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Thanks!
A similar design used to be standard issue gear for the Swedish infantry.
Poncho, could be used as a shelter. 2 buttonned together made a 1.5 man tent.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Thanks!
A similar design used to be standard issue gear for the Swedish infantry.
Poncho, could be used as a shelter. 2 buttonned together made a 1.5 man tent.

Seems standard with variations for quite a few armies. I do wish someone would come up with a lightweight modern version of the Polish setup. What I like about the Polish Lavuu is how easy it is to pin out with a single pole. You can of course do the same thing with a tarp but it takes a bit of origami.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Years ago I had a "one man tarp", a slightly oversized poncho design, but without the cutout for the head, made by a company in Czech Republic, a company that makes tents and such, in Lomnice nad Popelkou.
I chose a very lightweight, water proof fabric, same as they use on the outside tents.
I had eyelets added on two sides.

They will make anything to your design.

Last edited:

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
Hi guys,
I'm thinking of getting a half of a polish lavvu for day trips and summer wild camps. I know it's fairly heavy but I'm big into my traditional kit and it looks quite nice.
So if anyone has any experience with them please let me know how you found it!

Atb George

1/2, or one poncho, is going to take up no space at all. I use two together (the standard "tent") For the price its untouchable, strong, weather/waterproof, stable and quick and easy up and down. I don't understand people saying they are short on room: I have no problem at 6'4", for one man and kit. The base circumference is 7 feet. And its canvas, which I love......
Can't rate them too highly............

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
1/2, or one poncho, is going to take up no space at all. I use two together (the standard "tent") For the price its untouchable, strong, weather/waterproof, stable and quick and easy up and down. I don't understand people saying they are short on room: I have no problem at 6'4", for one man and kit. The base circumference is 7 feet. And its canvas, which I love......
Can't rate them too highly............

Just succumbed.....and sown a heavy duty, double sided, open ended zip in the lavvu, that can still be buttoned over..............goodjob

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
Make sure you proof the Laavu before you use it.

That's what I was going to do when I got mine until I read the brief instructions that came with my new Lavvu. Here's what they have to say about it

CARE: Canvas water-proofer can be applied as and when needed to USED canvas.
IT IS NOT ADVISED to apply water proofer to new or unused canvas ponchos. New or unused canvas fibres swell when wet and the weave will bond closer together after having been wet and dried naturally in shape. Applying water proofer prior to this process may prevent the fibres from swelling and ultimately the ponchos will not be as waterproof around the seam stitching. To speed up this process you can pitch the teepee/shelter on a day when it can dry naturally in shape, spray with a garden hose and leave to dry naturally.

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
That's what I was going to do when I got mine until I read the brief instructions that came with my new Lavvu. Here's what they have to say about it

Interestingly, I have 2, don't ask.....one I've proofed, and one not, both from MM looking all but mint.....today I put the hose on , storm force, soaked them hard, and neither; proofed or otherwise leaked a drop. Brilliant, best £20 ever:)

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
Interestingly, I have 2, don't ask.....one I've proofed, and one not, both from MM looking all but mint.....today I put the hose on , storm force, soaked them hard, and neither; proofed or otherwise leaked a drop. Brilliant, best £20 ever:)

Same here :) well actually my wife jumped at the idea of turning the hose on me. I couldn't set it up in the grass as I'd just put down weed & feed so I volunteered (or I WAS volunteered) to wear one while I was hosed down. She started of with a heavy downpour for a few minutes and saw that wasn't getting through so she switched to monsoon still nothing and getting slightly frustrated she wasn't giving me the soaking she had envisioned so she switched to full on high pressure jet and shot me in the back (I think she loves me:confused: :D) I could feel the jet but nothing was getting through. I told her to use the pulse jet just to see and still nothing got through. The seams held perfectly and apart from soggy feet the rest of me was dry.

I agree with you the cost of the Lavvu was the best money spent in ages. We get two heavyweight ponchos and either two leanto's or a full tent.....can't ask for more than that, can you?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE