Places for flint nodules near Manchester, North West of England?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dobloz

Jan 18, 2013
Manchester, UK
hello !
:newbie:

just a quick ask to see if anyone has info on any sources of flint local to Manchester?
or maybe you have some just lying about, not used or wanted... :lmao:

i've read through the posts that mention some sources for flint and where to find it, but have not found anywhere less than an hour and a half's drive away. i can't yet justify 3 hours in the car + fuel cost just to break it all into bits making flint dust :eek:

over the next week or so i've got a bit of time, so wondered if i could find some in the next few days?

i've been in touch with a very helpful chap on this forum, adestu, who has offered to grab me some when he's got time and the weather improves etc.
thanks adestu! :You_Rock_

my dad gave me a couple of *tiny* bits, and i've *had a go* for the first time today at making some arrow heads -

arrowheads1.jpg

the wooden arrow is a 3/8" (10mm) shaft to give a size comparison.

arrowheads and tools1.jpg

the blue thing is leather/suede? and the copper tool is .... 15mm copper pipe :)

i used the stones and the copper thing to 'shape' the flakes.
well, they are my first effort and are sharp enough to cut my hand... ouch! ;)

so, i'd like to be able to make some 'real' ones, you know, proper arrow head shapes; and i'm running out of flint because i don't yet know what i'm doing and the pieces i've got left are getting smaller and smaller!

so, do you know anyone or anywhere?

share the flint good people!

thanks again

austin

Dobloz

Jan 18, 2013
Manchester, UK
adestu and sycamour thank you both! :thankyou: :grouphug:

ade - brilliant! i'll send you a few arrowheads (or at least arrowhead shaped pieces) as soon as i've destroyed, erm knapped, the raw materials you send.

sycamour - fantastic! thank you for offering, i'll keep you on my list ;) and if i can make some, i'll send you an 'exhibit' if you want? just let me know?

anyone else... :rolleyes: :cool:

thanks again,

austin

The Ratcatcher

Apr 3, 2011
Manchester, UK
Hi, Austin,

I'm also in Manchester, and unfortunately the nearest place to us to find flint is near Bridlington, Yorkshire. I'm considering taking a trip over there in the spring when there should be some good nodules about that have washed out of the cliffs over the winter.

Interested?

Alan.

Oldwoodyrock

Dec 10, 2012
Pacific Northwest
Austin:
For good practice material, bottle bottoms, telly screens, broken or not porcelain are always in good supply. The glass will knap like obsidian, whilst the porcelain knaps like flint. Here in North America, toilet tanks, which are porcelain, are called 'Johnstone' by knappers. The local landfill usually has a good supply. A good soak in tea will give the Johnstone a god flint like colour. A better flaker would be copper rod, about 6mm in diameter. For some good knapping information, have a look at the Puget Sound Knappers web site. We (I am an active member) have a lot of how to articles, and a good picture gallery of what we do.
Woody

Dobloz

Jan 18, 2013
Manchester, UK
hi Alan and Woody,

Woody - yes, i will have a go with some glass in the future, good idea. i will have a look for some solid copper bar too.
i'll take a look at your web site too , thanks for taking the time to reply and for the helpful the info!

now, does anyone have any experience of making and using a 'bopper' thing out of lead? or is it too soft to use?
i have seen some vids on using a copper pipe with end cap and filling it with molten lead but i'm not sure i'm up to melting and pouring lead just yet.

Alan - yes! i would be interested in going.
is the place you mean near Dyke wood on Famborough Head? a bit further east than the golf course?
i've never been there but have read a bit about the area. Would you go during the week or at weekend? i work shifts so either is possible?

i didn't know there was a greater manchester bushcraft group either?

so much to learn and find out :D

fantastic!

austin

The Ratcatcher

Apr 3, 2011
Manchester, UK
Hi, Austin

I've not been to the area yet, but done research from geological maps and memoirs, so it'll be a bit of an exploration trip. If that still interests you, we could share our researches.

If you're going to do any serious flintknapping, the traditional tools are made from antler, the poll as a soft hammer, and the tines for pressure flaking. You would also need a piece of thick soft leather to protect your thigh or hand from the sharp edges.

There is indeed a Greater Manchester Bushcraft Group, why not join us? We have regular meets, mostly at Middlewood Scout Camp in Worsley or Giants Seat Scout Camp near Radcliffe. If you aren't working the next one is at Middlewood next weekend. There's a thread about it in the Out and About section of the forum.

Alan

Oldwoodyrock

Dec 10, 2012
Pacific Northwest
Austin:

Melting the lead, only involves a small gas torch, and a wee steel cooking ladle....do it out side, and do not breath the metal fumes. You only need enough lead to fill the rounded end of the plumbing cap. The caps come with a flat end, so you need to dome it first. If you know anyone working silver, they probably have daps, and a dapping block to form rounds. Takes about three hammer blows to round the cap. You can make your own dapping block, and dap from a good hard wood like oak. for a solid copper bopper, you can take an old copper soldering iron, cut half the point off, then round the copper with a file, or grinder. Next, cut the steel shank, down to the handle length, and refasten it. You only need a small, maybe 1/2" round soldering iron for this. You can usualy get these at boot sale for less than the cost of the copper.

Antler works just the same as does the copper, but usually will cost more, and takes more work keeping it in shape.

Woody BTW, never worry about the points getting smaller....the ancients had the same problems. I make a lot of knives, and when I break a blade, it becomes two arrow points.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE