Petzl E+Lite - Product Review

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I was chatting to Lurch at Lakeland Bushcraft recently and he offered me a Petzl E+Lite to review. Chance to play with some shiny kit (albeit used shiny kit)? Sure!

What turned up? A weird red plastic pill box!

2932749750_244c1e79a4_o.jpg

The lid is secured with a black rubber cord that keeps the contents safe. It also sports a belt clip if you want to look like a Technicolor Batman

Inside was the smallest, lightest head torch I have ever seen. The torch weighs less than an ounce and isn’t much wider than a 10p piece

2931892713_95910dd9e8_o.jpg

The torch consists of 3 white LEDs and one red (central) one. The red bar you can see is a rotating lever switch to select your mode of choice. The settings are

Off
Dim White
Bright white
Off
Flashing White
Flashing Red
Steady Red
Off

I really like the multiple off positions. It means you can find an off next to your favourite mode and not do all that tiresome pressy clicky mode selection stuff that hacks me right off with torches – I just want it to turn on!

Did I mention it was small? Here it is next to my Petzl Myo XP

2932752758_b305f7f0b6_o.jpg

So small and dinky in a box. But does it work? Well yes, it does. I tried it on a night walk and either white mode gives enough light not to break your neck and the brighter mode a comfortable “area” light. There is no focus so the light is quite diffuse but I like that anyway. The headband is basic – an elastic strap with a sprung toggle but it works.

What I do like is the ability to adjust the point of aim like in a “proper” head torch – although this has all sorts of adjustment in the form of a universal joint

2932753628_1a1b363266_o.jpg

The red bulge intruding on the black area is a “ball and socket” type joint that allow you to point the light wherever you want. The headband passes through the red area but can be removed (as in the photo). The black wire over the read support material is a spring clip – more on this later.

So far so good. Would I buy this as a head torch? Maybe. But with the headband removed all sorts of possibilities present themselves. Freestanding reading light for your basha?

2932753996_f7595533d2_o.jpg

Frightened of losing it? Clip it to your book

2931895839_4c62394372_o.jpg

Now I had a moment of inspiration…would it clip to a map for night walks?

Well of course!

2931896445_8c855f5473_o.jpg

Then of course in red mode for night use

2931896981_86af492b7a_o.jpg

Suddenly the possibilities of this little light became clear – from clipped to a ridge line to read by to attached to the brim of my flat cap to avoid the head band.

So what do I think? I think I will buy one! It will never replace my Myo for extended use but I can see it slipped in a pocket of my smock for those walks where I stay out past dark or for lightweight camping. A very versatile and well thought out item weighing nothing at all.

Now, in the same range there is the “Petzl Signal” (right).

2931891409_6030a43f67_o.jpg

A choice of steady single red or three flashing red LEDs. This is half the price at around a tenner whereas the E+ light is about £20. It lacks the white use and has a simple sprung clip and head band. I personally find this of highly limited use. Too dim to replace a headlight, too dim as a real rescue beacon (try the latest issue firefly to see the difference). I was going to say “avoid”. Then I saw one in use tonight driving home. A guy running at night had one on the back of his conventional head torch head band as a warning to vehicles behind him (narrow country lane). Clever. So a conventional head torch? No. A distress beacon? No. But on the back of the pack of the guy you are following at night or when running at night or even to find you camp? Perhaps.

For me though – pay the extra and get a truly flexible bit of kit in the E-Light (note the proper spelling please Petzl :D ) – lots more uses

Red

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I have one as a backup in my possibles pouch, they`re a great bit of kit to have around. Comfortable enough to leave it round your neck incase of emergencies whilst sleeping.

Nice review again Red

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I hadn't noticed that SS - neat touch!

I should mention that the batteries it uses are CR2032 coin cells. I already have a stock for red dot and IR rifle sights plus my wireless PIRs use them. Cheap and widely available (B&Q etc.)

Red

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I did a review of one on this site when they first came out, I like it.
I keep one in my first aid kit. accidents happen in the dark too. It saves time rooting around for a torch and your torch.
I also have a mirror in there ever since cut my eyebrow and I was on my own. How do you patch up a cut you cannot see?

shocks

Forager
Dec 1, 2007
Devon
Nice one Red, I have just bought a Myo Xp belt. It will be a good upgrade for my zipka which must be at east 10 years old. The E+lite looks interesting but I'll stick with the XP

Still Waters

Nomad
Dec 20, 2007
North yorkshire
Cheers for the review Red

I loath torches where you have to cycle through loads of modes to get to the one you want so this one seems ideal
If it ran on a single aa cell i would buy one

Hammy734

Sep 6, 2008
Portadown, Northern Ireland
After reading this review, and after thinking about getting a head lamp for quite a while I finally did. And I was really impressed!

The little e+LITE is exactly what I was after - I have spent the last few camping trips with only my little coleman lantern, which is ideal for sitting about with friends and lighting up pretty much as much of the campsite as I would like, but when it comes to hoking about for something in the bottom of my rucksack it doesn't really do the job!

I didn't want a head lamp that would be obtrusive or heavily annoying (though in stark contrast I have nothing to base my biased opinion on) so I instantly opted for the tiny e+LITE. And I am still impressed every single time I switch it on!!

For me it is absolutely perfect to the point where it sits on my head almost weightless in the evenings around the camp fire switched off until I need it, where I have friends who have much bigger head lamps and wont wear them unless they are using them!

So, to end my babbling I just want to say a big thank you to British Red for a fantastic review and to everyone else on the site keep up the good work!!

bob_the_bomb

Tenderfoot
Oct 2, 2008
Cambodia
The CR2032 battery isnt so much of a problem in that it comes with a lithium battery so it is good as a backup light given the long shelf life. For me I use my trusty twin-AA MAGLITE (with LED mod) as my main torch and using ENELOOP batteries backed up by a powermonkey and solar slave, and keep the E-lite as an emergency backup

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE