Red light head torch

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

richy3333

Jan 23, 2017
Far north Scoootland
Hi all and a happy new year.

Please could somebody recommend a head torch with good red light colour output. I’ve a very old (about 20 years) petzl that I’d like to retire and upgrade. Our animals object to the white light of a normal head torch but don’t with the red filter/light.

Many thanks.
R

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I'm curious; if you've been happy with the quality and performance of a Petzl for twenty years, why swap to a different make at risk? Has the quality of Petzl dropped in that time?

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
  • Love
Reactions: sidpost

bearbait

I have the Petzl Tactikka +RGB that I'm pleased with. If that is too many colours for you they do a Tactikka which just has White and Red lights. I also have one of their Noctilights that diffuses the beam. Quite useful in tent or car and may be of use in a barn or shed with the critters.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
After having a few Tikkas over the years and being unimpressed with them long term* I got a Black Diamond Storm. Think its a 375.
It's got two buttons and a lot of modes, takes a little time to get used to the number of modes but personally I cant see me going back to Petzl again now, I really like it.

*the LEDs dimmed over time, even with fresh batteries it was noticable.

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
Blue lights are also livestock friendly and less visible to human observers. An odd fact: flashing lights found in many headlamps can trigger epileptic seizures and blue the worst.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
I got the Sunblesa H11 after seeing the review here on BCUK. It's got one red and two green brightness levels, plus a bunch of different white lights. I used the red light in work over several days and it worked really well.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Around the own house a rechargeable head lamp is the better choice in my opinion. There are some models that work with rechargeable batteries as well as disposable ones.

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
I have tried red ones a few times but for forest it is a no go while leaves are in trees. Green foliage sucks the red light very efficiently and one does not see all that much. Blue-green works well. In winter both work, a matter of taste. The main problem is that some maps look very strange. For farm work I don't think the color matters that much, just remembered that most farm animals apparently do not see red at all so that is the more likely not to spook them.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
If you give your horses everytime when you switch on your white lamp a piece of sugar they will surely love that lamp pretty soon. The pure brightness may be a problem though.

I currently look myself for a stronger lamp and find the NiteCore HC 65 V2 and the HC 68 pretty interesting because that are rechargeable models but can also be used with the winter proof disposable CR 123 batteries.
The Fenix lamp above offers that option too so far I see.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: TLM

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
And if @TLM is right with his opinion that the leaves suck red light, you can see your way but the enemy can't see you.

The land owner for example.
Or the illegal wild camper.
;)

sidpost

Forager
Dec 15, 2016
Texas, USA
Deep Red is your friend. The SST-20 Deep Red emitters for me work extremely well. I will second that Sofirn headlamp above as well.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE