Paps custom axes & tomahawks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
That's a good question Dave. The main reason for native americans for using the gravity fitted hafts (without wedge) is that they were easier to replace when the haft broke.
A lot of people still does that and that's ok as far as you like the head fitted temporary. Also, this is better fitting regarding throwing. When there is no wedge, the powers influencing the haft after hitting the target are diverging evenly. This is different when you use wedge and have very tight fitting. However for using tomahawk as a tool, for cutting branches, making some fire in the wood, doing camping stuff - I personally prefer having my tool fitted tightly and don't bother with knocking repeatedly after use (in gravity fitting you need to hit the bottom in order to fit head more tightly). This is also cultural and historic aspect - slavic tribes, nordic ones used to use wedges :) Hope this make any sense to you?

Thanks Pawel, after some deliberation, I'll be refitting my hawk with a straight hickory haft, wooden wedge and a metal sprig. Its always a little more difficult, I find, to fit the wooden wedge well, the smaller the eye.

papstomahawks

Tenderfoot
Sep 13, 2014
Poland
Morning, Gents! :)
It seems that I haven't done any update lately, sorry for that.

Here are some pics of my latest works. If you would be interested in any details or more photos - please ask :) Material details are more less the same - it's always forged 1055 carbon steel and hickory or curly maple on the haft :)

Here we go!
Some freestyle forging done under the impression of Viking series ;)

Another Badlands Camp axe

Shiny Socked axe

3x Ciupaga /shepheard's axe / highlander's axe

Spanish Cross Hammerhead

papstomahawks

Tenderfoot
Sep 13, 2014
Poland
Evening Ladies and Gents!

Long time no hear, I'm a bit overworked and cannot afford to spend as much time on forums as I would wish to. Here are some latest works of mine, hope you will enjoy them :) If you have any questions - feel free to ask, I will be happy to answer!

papstomahawks

Tenderfoot
Sep 13, 2014
Poland
Some new stuff from me ;)
First one is a set made together with my friend Pawel Lukanowski "Pavulon" - he is author of the bowie knife, I've made the tomahawk and Jakub Solowij from Koi fish leather made the tomahawk sheath.
Second one is belt axe made from 1055 carbon steel with gun blue oxidation and curly ash handle. Third is my Badlands Camp axe, which you already know :) Next one is Spanish cross spike tomahawk and a small viking axe :)

papstomahawks

Tenderfoot
Sep 13, 2014
Poland
Hello Ladies & Gents!
Long time no see but it was busy end of the year for me. I have change my workshop and now I've some new possibilities ;)
Here are some latest works from my forge. You could easily notice that now I'm able to make some Viking stuff with longed edges ;)
At the beginning of new year I will be starting with damascus tomahawks.

Meanwhile, please take a look on my lastest works :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE