Paps custom axes & tomahawks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

papstomahawks

Tenderfoot
Sep 13, 2014
Poland
Hi !
Encouraged by some of the members in my welcome thread, I would like to present some of my works.
I'm forging the tomahawks and axes for about 3 years now. I always loved to throw with axes and tomahawks but I was fed up with productional pieces and I started doing my own ;)
I'm using 1055 carbon steel and hickory (mostly) for my projects. Here are selected pieces that I believe are somehow worth sharing. You will find more If you check my website or my facebook profile or check my thread on BB. Hope you enjoy it! All comments would be welcome :)

Tomahawks:

Tnncx4.jpg

7pk4.jpg

vb99.jpg

8v1u.jpg

qfg3.jpg

1t87.jpg

skud.jpg

4hhx.jpg

67l5.jpg

15772205.jpg

85110040.jpg

52910454.jpg

68164782.jpg

8ws4.jpg

5e26.jpg

sn14.jpg

bemx.jpg

Hsl6L4.jpg

Axes:

74359484.jpg

ptj2.jpg

ibih.jpg

13091556.jpg

x1hf.jpg

fkpw.jpg

64978803.jpg

bqwj.jpg

23907414.jpg

83ll.jpg

23016139.jpg

60251839.jpg

37ad.jpg

53498015.jpg

egoh.jpg

Misc:

7fn6.jpg

40229573.jpg

yczk2.jpg

z7v8.jpg

ehu6.jpg

54230869.jpg

snb17818w.jpg

43841792.jpg

11744103.jpg

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Wow, (I'm not allowed to type or even say the word I said when I opened this thread):rolleyes: What a lovely collection of Hawks, Toms & Franks.

Beautiful work, really stunning.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Some excellent work there. I would suggest becoming a maker here - I doubt you would have much problem selling those

kato

Tenderfoot
Oct 18, 2006
NW England
Excellent work Pawel...I'd love one of your pipe hawks and the little one with the bamboo style handle is great :)

papstomahawks

Tenderfoot
Sep 13, 2014
Poland
Thank you all for the nice comments. I really appreciate that you like my works :) I'm doing my best to improve my skills and make better tools and presentation pieces.
I think that we shouldn't discuss the costs in this thread.
Again- thanks for kind words and warm welcome. If you are interested, I can update this thread anytime I will have something new and worth sharing :)

Lovely work - have you done any with an curved Adze/Hatchet combo?
I haven't try to forge adze yet. But I'm planning to do it :) However I've never used any of them and I have very little knowledge about them.

Been a fan of your work over on BB. I do like no6, & are those a type of walking/hiking stick at the end ? Rob

You are right, those are walking sticks/ shephred's axes / highlanders axe/ or as we call them in Poland: ciupaga. Those are traditional to middle and south region of Europe, mostly in carpathians mountains.

Edit reason: I was admonished not ask for private messages regarding the prices, so I'm not answering that question till I get the Maker status :)

Last edited:

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
Such a beautiful work !!! Your craftsmanship is pure gold. I have never seen so many "one of a kind" pieces in one post and you said you did this in 3 years?!! Amazing.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Nice work. A hand forged hawk would be a nice thing to own someday. I've always wanted one of those shepherd's axes too, but it might raise a few eyebrows on some walking trails! I've always wondered how practical they were in use?

papstomahawks

Tenderfoot
Sep 13, 2014
Poland
Nice work. A hand forged hawk would be a nice thing to own someday. I've always wanted one of those shepherd's axes too, but it might raise a few eyebrows on some walking trails! I've always wondered how practical they were in use?

Well according to the sources, ciupaga was both weapon and tool back in the days. The small axe on the long haft was good for fighting. The spike at the bottom was helpful while climbing in mountains, to support on slopes and ice. Also, the axe was helpful when it comes to make a bonfire while in mountains. You don't need big axe to do that, small edge to cut branches was good enough. Today I think this is mostly decorative piece more than a convenient companion. While hitchhiking, I prefer having a small axe in backpack and a telescopic nordic walking sticks ;)

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Very interesting. Thanks for that. I can certainly see how it could have been handy as a weapon in more turbulent times.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE