Paps custom axes & tomahawks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

papstomahawks

Tenderfoot
Sep 13, 2014
Poland
Thanks Guys! :)

Here is some more:

Belt axe with damascus bit and cheeks from carbon steel. I wasn't sure how It gonna turn out so I test this method on 30layer billet and it turn out good I will make more like this, great fun with forging damascus!

And another variation of my "Black Old" pipe tomahawk. Hand punctured, with file work on the top

And some workers :)

papstomahawks

Tenderfoot
Sep 13, 2014
Poland
They are starting from 75 and up, depending on model, materials, type of finish - basically the more time-consuming project, the higher the price.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I too like the "workers" although personally I would ask for them to be "shiny" rather than forge finished. That's simply because I find a nice smooth surface much easier to clean up once its covered with tree sap and resin. To me, to be a true worker, it needs to be functional.

I truly wish I could afford one of yours - some of the designs without a poll look ideal to me. what I would really love would be a hawk blade on the front and a pickaroon on the poll - that would be a really useful tool or firewood and bushcraft. Like a spike hawk but more practical.

Ahh well

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Why is there a tradition of not using a sprig, and or wedge, to affix the tomahawks in place, whilst all yours Pawel seem to be fixed in place with a wedge/sprig.

Is it because, its better to become expert at throwing them, before you go to the trouble of fixing a wedge and sprig, as you will probably break handles whilst practising throwing?

Or is it because thats how the native american indian tribes used them? Because they got broke a lot? Or they hadnt thought of using a wedge?

Last edited:

papstomahawks

Tenderfoot
Sep 13, 2014
Poland
Why is there a tradition of not using a sprig, and or wedge, to affix the tomahawks in place, whilst all yours Pawel seem to be fixed in place with a wedge/sprig.

Is it because, its better to become expert at throwing them, before you go to the trouble of fixing a wedge and sprig, as you will probably break handles whilst practising throwing?

Or is it because thats how the native american indian tribes used them? Because they got broke a lot? Or they hadnt thought of using a wedge?

That's a good question Dave. The main reason for native americans for using the gravity fitted hafts (without wedge) is that they were easier to replace when the haft broke.
A lot of people still does that and that's ok as far as you like the head fitted temporary. Also, this is better fitting regarding throwing. When there is no wedge, the powers influencing the haft after hitting the target are diverging evenly. This is different when you use wedge and have very tight fitting. However for using tomahawk as a tool, for cutting branches, making some fire in the wood, doing camping stuff - I personally prefer having my tool fitted tightly and don't bother with knocking repeatedly after use (in gravity fitting you need to hit the bottom in order to fit head more tightly). This is also cultural and historic aspect - slavic tribes, nordic ones used to use wedges :) Hope this make any sense to you?

I too like the "workers" although personally I would ask for them to be "shiny" rather than forge finished. That's simply because I find a nice smooth surface much easier to clean up once its covered with tree sap and resin. To me, to be a true worker, it needs to be functional.

I truly wish I could afford one of yours - some of the designs without a poll look ideal to me. what I would really love would be a hawk blade on the front and a pickaroon on the poll - that would be a really useful tool or firewood and bushcraft. Like a spike hawk but more practical.

Ahh well

That's true, but there are people who don't like to clean up tools after each use. I'm just providing different finishes - it's your choice what will suit you better :)
Can I ask what would you use pickaroon to? This is not a tool that I'm familiar to.

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
That's true, but there are people who don't like to clean up tools after each use. I'm just providing different finishes - it's your choice what will suit you better :)
Can I ask what would you use pickaroon to? This is not a tool that I'm familiar to.

I understand completely why you provide the finishes :). Just commenting really on why I prefer the forge finished to be ground off. When I was designing axes with Cegga (Mic' Cronja from Hults Bruks) we had the same conversation :)

This is a pickaroon point

pickaroon-6.gif

The tool is used to move logs around to save bending your back when cutting firewood

65u0620s3.jpg

When you are cutting and splitting (especially with a pneumatic splitter), the point really helps to drag logs on and off the splitter and the blade helps where a log has split but the two parts are held together by wood fibres, then you can quickly chop them apart.

It would make for a really useful tool for those of us who process a large amount of wood and would save carrying both an axe and a pickaroon.

I have heard of one or two "one offs" made like this, but I don't believe that anyone has ever put one together to offer for sale :)

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Hmmm, a Small pickaroon/axe eh red. Now you mention it......why doesn't one exist? Not to my knowlage they dont
I'v seen full size ones somwhere I think. But not small handy ones

Yeah, I reckon that would be great tool on the splitter. I never bother with a small pickaroon for splitting because (as you say)
You need a small axe and a pick would just be sommat else to have laying around, and pick up put down constantly

papstomahawks

Tenderfoot
Sep 13, 2014
Poland
So it seems that I'm using my spikes exactly how you would like to use pickaroon :) Not every one of course, but I've done couple of curved ones that were use for dragging logs for fire in the way you present it :)
It's not really a problem to make one like this :)

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
So it seems that I'm using my spikes exactly how you would like to use pickaroon :) Not every one of course, but I've done couple of curved ones that were use for dragging logs for fire in the way you present it :)
It's not really a problem to make one like this :)

Just had a look back on the first page of this thread
Yeah, a few of those spikes would do it....I wouldn't use them on the splitter though. They are far too nice for me to work with on a concrete floor with lots of heavy metal about

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Ah so there is a use for a spike hawk! Other than making glory holes in the heads of the undead, of course.

I usually use the point of a bearded axe blade to drag wood and the poll to bash in stakes, nails and what not.

BlueTrain

Nomad
Jul 13, 2005
Near Washington, D.C.
As they always say on Antiques Roadshow, "Wow!" They're all beautiful, too beautiful to use (almost). But the wood is exceptional, too. I didn't notice any double-bitted axes, though, Nessmuk-style. Also, I've always liked the looks of old halberds and other pole arms, however useless they'd be for bushcraft/woodcraft use. The picaroon was a surprise. You should make a Pulaski! Don't know how it got that name.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE