Other Than Bushcraft....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Leeroy

May 8, 2005
Macclesfield
what do you guys do?

for work?

For fun?

Myself I love climbing and hiking in general...

Spend a fair bit of my time out in the countryside and any other spare time i have is spent in the gym or instructing Air Cadets

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Well, I work in IT as a programmer. Used to be a real PC enthusiast, but working with the darn things took all the fun out of it... I'm a bit of a hi-fi nut, with particular focus on DIY valve amplification and good old LP records - I have a kit built amp, phono stage and turntable. I also play guitar, and I'm on the waiting list for an allotment which I plan to use to grow my own organic veggies.

Oh, and I am working on becoming an afficionado of fine Cuban cigars, French wines, single malt whiskies and cognacs.

As they say, variety is indeed the spice of life. :)

outdoorcode

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 14, 2005
Halton West Uk
www.outdoorcode.co.uk
Well most people know what I do work wise.
My spare time on weekends (when I actually get some) is spent either doing dog stuff (shows, training), camping, out on my motorbike (cbr600 although not on the road this year), shooting and I do a bit of horse riding too.

Andrew

Shankly

Tenderfoot
Jul 10, 2005
Cambs
Ah yes,

I remember when I had a life, working abroad, doing anything that took my fancy, from a serious ammount of mountain biking the odd spot of golf and the outdoorsy holidays. Then I got married and had a couple of kids - since then Ive been the one at home changing nappies and the like for the past 4 years. The only reason I got back into camping out and bushcraft, was that several of my friends were all settled down and needed a break from their home lives, not only that but we could get as drunk as we liked and there would be no-one to nag at us the next day.!!!! Its also a reasonably cheap past-time Thankfully I start work again in a weeks time, so I may actually get myself a regular hobby....

Shankly.

K

karen

Well, i work in adult education where we put on a varity of classes in communities.

For fun i try to ave a bit of a go at everything, clubbing, pubbing, roleplaying (AD&D), going for walks with my niece etc.

I'll try most things once, twice if im not sure :D

Karen

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I work in the aerospace industry to get me money ;)

I spend me money on bushcrafty stuff (Knives, axes, billy cans etc) and fishing gear (hooks, more hooks, floats, more floats oh not forgetting the floats) on a Saturday and go and play in the woods or by a lake on Sunday, most Sundays are taken up with league competitions at the moment though, so bushcrafting has had to take 2nd place for a little while, still im outside, in the countryside enjoying what it has to offer, if i do well in the competition, that's a bonus

JimH

Nomad
Dec 21, 2004
Stalybridge
Work: IT. Senior Systems Analyst (for what that's worth)

Life: Divorced, no kids, so lots of playtime :cool:

Fun: Bushcraft, walking, flyfishing, canoing (a new departure), motorsickle stuff. I used to be a weekend Viking, 20 years behind the shieldwall, man and boy, but I'm better now :D Would love to (re)learn to shoot, but haven't got round to it yet

Err, will that do?

Jim.

leon-1

Up untill April I was an opto-electronics test technician (maintaining/building test stations, debugging EDFA's and training other people to use said test stations).

Spare time, I make things (anything that I can turn my hand to), build computers, do a bit of tracking, shooting (only air rifle nowadays), read, listen to music and used to do a fair amount of walking and climbing.:)

your initial question causes me to realize that i might not do anything other than Bushcraft.

for work i teach Bushcraft and ecology to 5th and 6th graders. the kids stay at the Outdoor Science School (that i work for) for 5 days. i hike them around and explore geology, plant and animal ecology, a little watershed science, teambuilding, and primitive skills with them.

otherwise, i lean more about all of the above. that's it. i've probably watched about 50 hours of TV in the past decade (and can't say i was better or more improved for the watching :( )...

Working as builder gives me the money and the time to carry out my other hobby of learning to fly (it's expensive but liberating).

Reading is another passion of mine especially anything to do with bushcraft/aviation pioneers/military history and norse mythology

I am also quite active in studying about my religion of Odinism(Asatru).

BlueTrain

Nomad
Jul 13, 2005
Near Washington, D.C.
It occurs to me that in spite of finally having both our kids out of the house, at least as far away as college, most of my interests fall in the "used to do" category. I still have time gobbled up by work and home maintenance. The daughter in college still takes up a fair bit of time (and even more money) but it came with territory.

My interests, however, in order of acquiring and pretty much in order of losing, have been the British Army (still going strong--my interest, that is), British cars, especially Rovers and Land Rovers, French cars, guns and shooting, especially Lee-Enfields, hiking and camping and Scottish Country Dancing. The chief function of Scottish Country Dancing was apparently to meet girls and get married. That happened and that was pretty much the end of eveything.

zambezi

Aug 24, 2004
DEVON
Work: IT [Specifically, secure financial global IP networks]

Hobbies: Cycling, camping, hiking, garnering bushcraft skills, scuba diving, travel, sampling fine cuisine, good solid red wines [by definition, probably new world ;-) ] , motorcycling [BMW tourer] , PC hobbyist.

Best of all?: Sharing all of the above with Tina, my wife, with whom I also share the joy of life in Christ Jesus.

Vince

Povarian

Forager
May 24, 2005
High Wycombe, Bucks
Work: IT (just for a change)

Hobbies: Living history, wood carving, horseriding, walking, shooting (air rifle and muzzle-loader), archery (longbow), practicing sling (no not a catapult, a sling), playing guitar and tenor sax and *tin whistle*, good food, good drink, good films, good music and most of all good company to enjoy all of the previous with.

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
This all raises an interesting question: are IT workers more likely to be interested in bushcraft, or is it just that bushcraft enthusiasts are more likely to end up here if they are also IT workers?

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
Research Nurse, oncology

Hobbies: silverwork, reading, drawing, Call of Duty :D

wife Jane: interested in camping
sons (5, 8): intereseted in bushcraft and knifes :p

andyn

Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
For work:

IT Service Management, primarily Problem Mangement. Although I do some technical server maintenance now and then when required.

For Fun:
HIking, Bushcraft - getting into the more crafty side of things now too like leather work and flint knapping, Mountain Biking, snooker/pool and just generally finding things to fill gaps in time (which are starting to get smaller and smaller thanks to the work bit. :(

Aug 25, 2005
Fleet, Hampshire
gregorach said:
This all raises an interesting question: are IT workers more likely to be interested in bushcraft, or is it just that bushcraft enthusiasts are more likely to end up here if they are also IT workers?

I believe your onto something, im in IT and I think it drags you so far away from the real world that something as back to nature as Bushcraft somehow helps even it out.

My other thought is that IT has taken over, so a large majority of the work out there is IT related. Therefore you will find alot of IT people involved in most hobbies, not just bushcraft.

moduser

Life Member
May 9, 2005
Farnborough, Hampshire
Work - Project Management (IT centric ;) )

Spare time (what little there is)

Outdoors - Field Archery, Bushcraft, Kayaking, Walking & Cycling plus something known as URBEXing (you'll have to look it up)
Indoors - Music & recording, modeling & wargaming (mostly fantasy stuff with my son), clay sculpture & learning traditional crafts.

My theory (as it applies to me) is similar to most. IT types spend all week in offices and sanitised environments and crave fresh air and natural spaces when ever possible.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE