OS Free Downloadable maps, from tomorrow

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
Just seen this in the paper and thought it might be of interest.

From tomorrow you can download maps as detailed as 1:10,000 scale, or collect a list of locations appearing on maps at the 1:50,000 scale, or a conversion system for postcodes to grid references – free for personal or commercial use.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2010/apr/01/ordnance-survey-maps-download-free

P.s. I hope iv'e not just been sucked in by a 1st April prank :eek:

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Originally the government launched the consultative process saying the data for the 1:25k and 1:50k scales would be available for free. That is the free raw data that would still need interpretation. That means the likes of the companies that already offer OS map based software would get more out of it and still have a business. However there would need to be new business models. Plus the way the 3rd party apps goes there will always be some techy putting out free software to convert this data thus making it truly free for all.

However what the OS and government has done is a very watered down version of the original proposal, probably caved into pressure from vested interests to protect existing OS licensees. What you have now got is 1:10k and 1:50k without important features like footpaths. Now if you think that is free mapping then its good. If like me you like to have 25k and 50k maps with footpaths and other features that as an outdoors person you might actually need then you don't have anything you didin't have before. Or at least nothing worth anything.

BTW some paper maps companies were hoping to get access to the OS data to offer improved maps to their customers. They are not being offered the data they need so you still have the OS monopoly on the data and the constricting licencing arrangements you had before. No cheap electronic mapping no improved paper maps and a prime opportunity for the government through the OS to do something good has been missed.

Sorry if I have a negative viewpoint but its just a sign of my disappointment at the missed opportunity. BTW who uses a 1@10k scale map? The only times I have used this scalehas been orienteering however the more common scale was 1:12,500 for this applcation. Even the excellant BMC / Harveys maps have 1:15k scale on the information page for certain sections on the main map such as the area around Scafell Pike and the descent details on Ben Nevis (the correct distance/bearing details to avoid going over the edge of the gullies).

Anyway I suppose it is a start.

william#

Settler
Sep 5, 2005
sussex
hope this is not april fools

will look into it hopefully it will be gps compatable and maybe i will finally actually use the gps thats been sitting in a draw for the last 4 yrs

Last edited:

VirusKiller

Nomad
Jul 16, 2007
Hogsty End
What's available is a start, but the lack of Landranger 1:50,000 and Explorer 1:25,000 means that companies like Memory Map can still fleece us for that data.

nigeltm

Aug 8, 2008
south Wales
I'm looking forward to getting back to work in a week as I manage the GIS/mapping systems for a national utility. First thing I'll do is call our OS account manager and get the whole lot in the post! All in the interest of the company of course :) I certainly won't spend time looking at how to load it into my Garmin.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE