Detailed maps enquiry

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I'm hoping someone on here can point me in the right direction.

I'm warden for a Woodland Trust nature reserve, but don't have a decent map of the site. I've asked the Woodland Trust repeatedly about this, without any joy. They appear not to have a decent map themselves.

I have the OS Explorer 1:25000 scale map, but it isn't big enough or detailed enough. My site is 72 acres. I want a map of my site, not a map of the area that has my site in it

I want something that I can display on an A4 sheet as a general overview, but which potentially could be blown up larger for a really detailed look at the land. Google maps is useless as it doesn't show features on rural land, and the google satellite views are way out of date and still show the land as ploughed fields.

I do have a historical map, but it is 200 years out of date.

I expect that there must be finer scale maps for the UK, but don't know where to go about looking for them. Paper or electronic versions.

Is there an online mapping resource that I can zoom to, centre my reserve, and then print, at a fine scale? Alternatively, who do I contact for bespoke or definitive maps at greater than OS Explorer resolution? I would prefer something still compatible with the OS grid reference system.

All help appreciated.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Have you tried speaking to the surveying department at your local council?

They have extremely detailed maps that go down to 1:2,500 or less in some instances so they might have what you're after.

Dunx

Apr 8, 2013
West Wales
I know you can get custom os maps from their site centralising to a given location. But im unsure if they can be more detailed. You can do it on their website so may be worth a look

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Lots of Council websites have online detailed maps, although I can't find one for Torfaen. One of the neighbouring council sites may overlap Torfaen

Bing maps have an OS overlay function and seem better at aerial/satellite maps than Google earth too.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Lots of Council websites have online detailed maps, although I can't find one for Torfaen. One of the neighbouring council sites may overlap Torfaen

Bing maps have an OS overlay function and seem better at aerial/satellite maps than Google earth too.

Thanks to all. My site is in Monmouthshire, near Usk. Someone else has suggested that the Ramblers often hold detailed maps too.

Elen Sentier

The OS used to do 1:2500, I've got a few but not your area. Every now and then I plague them again to say I want them to bring them back! Is there anyone local who does walking maps of the area? there's a chap on Exmoor who does, I've got all his and they're absolutely gorgeous and so easy to use, will show you if you remind me.

I have furtled some meself via photoshop ... but prob the local council will be best.

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
If it is still open ask at your local library or nearest main reference library. If they have been killed off then the County Archives will have the largest available inlcluding, if you are lucky Estate maps. Remember that for OS maps the smaller scale maps such as 6 inch can be used be used as indexes for the larger scale thus the four quarters of a six inch are four separate maps for 25 inch. You will probably need the pre-metric versions.

Sadly the benchmarks shown on large-scale pre-metric maps are, in the main, not maintained any longer but you might be lucky and find a broad arrow and a number that matches that on your map giving exact location.

Do also be aware that if you find what you want in Library or Archives you may for your own use take a photocopy.

didicoy

Mar 7, 2013
fens
In 2000 all PRW were to be made definitive as part of the millennium project. Only public rights of way from that point on would be included in any final map. The Forestry Commission although having many permissive rights of way on FC land, also had to declare all adopted rights of way. At this time the FC adopted the right to roam on much of its holdings. This enabled the FC to reduce their liability to the general public and thus reducing their responsibility to make access safe and therefor signposted throughout the forest holdings. What was assumed PRW may only have been permissive and therefor are now excluded from any definitive right of way. Another thing to take on board, With every PRW there is a definitive statement. This is a worded description of that particular footpath/right of way. It usually describes the starting point and end point including features to help identify PRW (eg Leave metaled road onto woodland track, etc.) In the case of definitive maps they are at a scale of 1:10,000 this means that if the draftsman with the sharpest pencil, draws a line on a map. When scaled up to real life the pencil line would be equivalent to the entire width of the motorway including both sides and any central verge. So your interpretation of map accuracy could be very different to the actual path on the ground.

Last edited:

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk

Very good, but the resolution drops off just when I need it. Thanks you though. Good effort.

In 2000 all PRW were to be made definitive as part of the millennium project. Only public rights of way from that point on would be included in any final map. The Forestry Commission although having many permissive rights of way on FC land, also had to declare all adopted rights of way. At this time the FC adopted the right to roam on much of its holdings. This enabled the FC to reduce their liability to the general public and thus reducing their responsibility to make access safe and therefor signposted throughout the forest holdings. What was assumed PRW may only have been permissive and therefor are now excluded from any definitive right of way. Another thing to take on board, With every PRW there is a definitive statement. This is a worded description of that particular footpath/right of way. It usually describes the starting point and end point including features to help identify PRW (eg Leave metaled road onto woodland track, etc.) In the case of definitive maps they are at a scale of 1:10,000 this means that if the draftsman with the sharpest pencil, draws a line on a map. When scaled up to real life the pencil line would be equivalent to the entire width of the motorway including both sides and any central verge. So your interpretation of map accuracy could be very different to the actual path on the ground.

Excellent points, but at the moment if I have a tree down or something that I need to report I have to describe where it is. A map makes it easier to submit a report.

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
...they are at a scale of 1:10,000 this means that if the draftsman with the sharpest pencil, draws a line on a map. When scaled up to real life the pencil line would be equivalent to the entire width of the motorway including both sides and any central verge.

Er... I don't think that's right. Surely at 1:10000, a line a whole millimeter wide would only represent a width of 10000 millimeters or 10 metres.

Z

didicoy

Mar 7, 2013
fens
When you get down to the maths you are probably right. I was lucky enough to work on the 2000 public rights of way survey and as a result ended up questioning inaccuracies of maps and paths on owners land. When I took the issues to the County council mapping dept. The surveyor explained in the terms I used in that he couldn't be any more accurate at that scale than a distance the width of the motorway scenario. Digital mapping is now more accurate as it can be over laid on tiles and the satellite photograph image can be removed to show a fixed line as a feature or boundary. The point I was trying to make, that the definitive statement is the written evidence to correspond with any mark on a map. For instance. A footpath could be shown on one side of a field margin, If a hegderow is there, the statement would say whether the PRW is to the right or left of the hedgerow when heading south.

didicoy

Mar 7, 2013
fens
Excellent points, but at the moment if I have a tree down or something that I need to report I have to describe where it is. A map makes it easier to submit a report.

So does a grid reference and a brief description of location.

Last edited:

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk

So does a grid reference and a brief description of location.

I know, but was hoping for a better map. I have to do botanical and invertebrate recording, and I can use gps too, but I also have a fondness for maps. No problem, people on here have been very helpful.

didicoy

Mar 7, 2013
fens
Maybe you could ask if you can have access to the digital maps. All local authorities have them, They are updated every 1/4 they come in tiles up to 10k. We had access to them on our desk pc. The image is photographic from satellite but has many layers so more useful than paper maps. I have a old megellan colour trax gps, that I would link to the pc and transfer data via the two. The scale is far better than the google earth maps. I could see where I had left tyre tracks across fields in the grass, where I had driven the off road vehicle some weeks before. I was also involved in phase two habitat surveying in the late 1990's

The Ratcatcher

Apr 3, 2011
Manchester, UK
The best suggestion I can make is to contact your nearest OS Landplan agent. I've had maps produced in the past to exact specs, down to 1:5000 scale. It can be fairly expensive, but you get exactly what you want. Hope this helps.

Alan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE