Once you go SAK you never go back!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
I've seen all the Survivorman episodes, about five times over. :D It's actually not a bad show, I actually prefer it over Ray Mears. I will warn you guys in advance in case it's broadcast in the UK: It's a bit corny at times, and at first I was very skeptical about it, even thinking it was faked. (I found out later that it wasn't)

It's crazy though, the guy has a camera crew that drops him off into a simulated disaster sight and that crew follows him around for the first day. But after that day, Les has six more days before he's picked up. That means he has to lug his kit and all that camera gear around with him. (Poor bugger, sometimes he doesn't get much to eat) I read somewhere that if he wants to do a shot of himself walking across a lake or whatever, he has to set up the camera, do the shot, walk back to dismantle the camera and then go back over said lake to continue on his way.

Phew, long post. Check the show out if you get the chance!

Adam

geoff88

Forager
Jul 14, 2006
SW England
addyb said:
I've seen all the Survivorman episodes, about five times over. :D It's actually not a bad show, I actually prefer it over Ray Mears.

Adam

Yes I would love to see just how RM would cope without his entourage. :) Don't expect we ever will though.
Don't get me wrong, I do like the RM shows and even RM himself, it is just that a certain cult seems to have grown up around him.
Some of us can remember John Wiseman and other presenters who were just as good, but perhaps they were a little different teaching survival skills rather than the more anthropolgical course RM takes.
Whatever, Survivalman is a very good piece of tv! :D

Geoff

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
geoff88 said:
Yes I would love to see just how RM would cope without his entourage. :) Don't expect we ever will though.
Don't get me wrong, I do like the RM shows and even RM himself, it is just that a certain cult seems to have grown up around him.

I think RM would do more than fine. What we forget is, the TV side of his life makes up just 20% of his career and income. The rest of his working life, he is actually practicing, teaching, and learning more about these skills. He is at the forefront of bushcraft knowledge along with Mors K. The Tv series just scratches the surface of his endeavours, and after going on 5 courses with him at the helm, I am very envious and awed by the skills that he possesses. I only wish that he would produce a series that was aimed at the likes of us, rather than mainstream TV.

The difference between Mears and Wiseman is simple and very diverse. RM actually teaches how to live in the bush with comfort, while LW teaches survival skills if you are forced into a situation and trying to reach civilization. Both very different aspects of the same knowledge.

I also have the unenvious position of attending many Royal Marines courses during my time in their circle, and although the knowledge does cross-over, it is entirely different.

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
lancashire, north west england
Survivorman was shown in the UK on The Discovery Channel or something like that. It was on about 9pm on a Sunday night IIRC. I remember watching the first couple of episodes but that was it, I can't remember if I just missed the rest or they pulled the plug. It was a good show and Les Stroud (Survivorman) was really up against it.

If I remember right though, he used a Leatherman rather than a SAK.

Ralph

Forager
Oct 31, 2005
lost
I totally agree with the topic of this post. I have just given up the torment of lack of SAK when I carried a British Army Knife. So much more useful, and just interesting to look at. I'm a bit worried at tho mo because a scale is coming off :eek: . I hardly ever have to sharpen it and it's always razor-sharp. That ranger band stuff just looks like cut up bits of bicycle inner tube to me.

pteron

Acutorum Opifex
Nov 10, 2003
Wiltshire
pteron.org
Ralph said:
That ranger band stuff just looks like cut up bits of bicycle inner tube to me.

That's exactly what it is!

They are incredibly useful, they stop your zippo fuel from evaporating, can be used for all sorts of lashing and they are an excellent firestarter (regrettably only once ;) )

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
P7perfect said:
I think RM would do more than fine. What we forget is, the TV side of his life makes up just 20% of his career and income. The rest of his working life, he is actually practicing, teaching, and learning more about these skills. He is at the forefront of bushcraft knowledge along with Mors K. The Tv series just scratches the surface of his endeavours, and after going on 5 courses with him at the helm, I am very envious and awed by the skills that he possesses. I only wish that he would produce a series that was aimed at the likes of us, rather than mainstream TV.

The difference between Mears and Wiseman is simple and very diverse. RM actually teaches how to live in the bush with comfort, while LW teaches survival skills if you are forced into a situation and trying to reach civilization. Both very different aspects of the same knowledge.

I also have the unenvious position of attending many Royal Marines courses during my time in their circle, and although the knowledge does cross-over, it is entirely different.

RM is a born communicator,showman and business man. :cool:

That he is an ace bushcrafter as well is a bonus. :D

philaw

Settler
Nov 27, 2004
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK.
you've got to remember that there's only barely enough room for one bushcrafter on tv, and that means it's gonna be Ray Mears every time. That's just how tv works. Really, knowing as much as he does, we shouldn't complain.

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
I've only just decoded SAK!!! Swiss Army Knife! Oh yes, I have one of those. Only knife I use (except for a cheap imitation with a saw blade) I don't carry it at work, but increasingly it gets into the pocket the rest of the time.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE