Old axe head

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Today's boot market buy was an axe head, looks quite old, no makers mark but it does have potential, it weighs 586 grams, this is my next project so will post an after picture, I do have an old short piece of handle that will fit easy, but it might be a bit too short I'll try it out in a wee while after elevenses.
Polar knife is for scale purposes.

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Task is finished, old handle went on well and it's not a bad length for a small axe head.
Sharpened it with my latest skip find file and wet and dry sand paper up to 1200 grit and a compound strop.
Not bad at all I'd say. Ta for lookin.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Lovely job matey, look forward to having a play with that next time we are out and about.

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Thanks guys, that's a mirror finished cutting edge that cuts paper, well pleased with it myself.
Might try it out tomorrow as I'm bimbling in my usual woods with SHMBO.

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Update on the axe, I have put another handle on it as the one I fitted before was not steady in the hand when using, I'm sure this one will be much better.
Thanks for looking.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Lovely job mate, that helve will colour up nicely with the use it's going to get

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
How can it get plenty of use when I have 16 of them to play with :lmao:. Ta mate, you can have another play with it when we go out carving but first I have another one for you to try, the small side age I have.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE