I found an axe head. Need advice. Pic heavy.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

R_Fonseca

Tenderfoot
Jul 6, 2021
Dublin
www.fonseca.ie
Okie Dokie...
Finally got a handle on this. Not a perfect job, but it won't come off (edit: not wild about the little gap on the wedge side, but couldn't get it in the handle side otherwise -maybe you guys know a trick). The pitting will always make it imperfect on the edge, but it does okay.

I learned a lot doing this actually - good practice for the big one in the shed.

So here she is... a little kindling splitter for the wood stove.

Last edited:
Reactions: swotty and Jared

Colinski

Jan 12, 2024
London
I was digging up some lawn to make a flower bed in the garden when I hit something hard. A hatchet head. I know it's not an ancient artifact by the broken fiberglass in the eye.

I cleaned it up with a wire brush on the drill and removed the remaining handle.

Now, I'm trying to decide whether I should go ahead and put a handle on and sharpen it. It weighs 620g.

What's giving me pause is the pitting. I'm not sure if it's cause for concern or a safety issue. I've taken a few photos in the hope that someone with more axe experience can have a look and share thoughts. My gut says that it'll be okay... but I'm aware that my gut doesn't know a thing about this.

I can't see your photos but if it is not too badly rusted then don't throw it away.
There are several ways you can restore it. Sandblast it if you have access. Grind out any pits of rust, Weld the pits and grind it smooth, oil the steel (You can always paint it with steel paint but it wont last).

Axe handles and wedges are readily available, If you can't find wedges then make one of your own from hardwood. The head shaft should not have varnish etc. but if it does then sand it off. You may need to split the top end about 2 - 3 inches. You can use a junior saw to split the middle. To set the handle into the axe head soak the wood end that goes into the axe head. Best to leave it to soak for a day, Warm water works best. Then smash the wedge into the groove (Smash as in hammer it in place very tightly) Use a block as not to damage the wedge. Drive it in as far as you can. You can saw off the remainder.
Sharpen blade from direction Top to base on both sides with a steel and then wet oil stone.

as a kid we lived in the forrest in Sweden and in our families furnace boiler heater system i used to forge many Axe and Knife Blades. We made a rotary Axe machine but it was too dangerous due to flying splinters so we got a compression splitter.

Reactions: R_Fonseca

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE