Oh yes he's only gone and done it!!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

PhilParry

Nomad
Sep 30, 2005
Milton Keynes, Bucks
It's an incredible feeling isn't it? Congrats!! :35:

I managed it on the last day of my very rainy and wet fundamental bushcraft course, using Alder. :D

I think I jumped around for at least 5 minutes "Yoohaaaa!!!"-ing! :lmao:

And you're right StuartF...somehow it links past and present in a most powerful way.

I look back on it and wonder if it was me lighting the fire, or the other way around..... :rolleyes:

Phil

capacious

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 7, 2005
Swansea
Steve K said:
Well Done, that smile will last for at least 3 or 4 days!

I dunno about that, my smile lasted 3 or 4 years... In fact, it's still going strong!

Well done, you'll always have something to show off with now :D

Jake.

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Nice 1 2blackcat!

The smile does not go away!

Every time i light a fire this way it makes me smile

leon-1

Congratulations 2blackcat

miniac said:
well done!! :You_Rock_

:dunno: not managed it myself yet, trying again this weekend

If you can get it, try an Ivy hearth and a Hazel drill they work pretty well together as does Hazel on Lime tree.

I have some Sycamore here that I want to try on Ivy, I'll let you know how I got on when I've got the chance.

leon-1

leon-1 said:
Congratulations 2blackcat

If you can get it, try an Ivy hearth and a Hazel drill they work pretty well together as does Hazel on Lime tree.

I have some Sycamore here that I want to try on Ivy, I'll let you know how I got on when I've got the chance.

Well this is the result of sycamore on my normal Ivy hearth

sycamoreandivy3bs.jpg

As you can see I burn in holes before I need to so thatI don't have to mess about getting things started. The second one in from the left was done in about 1 minute.

The ember took a little over a minute with about 20 seconds going quickly.

If I could only get the hand drill like this I would be a happy man:eek:, it's getting there, but it is painfully slow progress. Thanks Roger for the help, I got some smoke out of my Namibian set yesterday:D

2blackcat

Nomad
Nov 30, 2004
bromley
I managed to break the cedar hearth board i was given (got a little over enthusiastic :dunno: )

So, off across the yard to demolish a pallett
Twenty minutes later, after attacking the board with the saw on my SAK, I had another hearth board

Left it to dry out this week
Just had another go and it worked. Not as easy but an ember formed

Next stage is to get it to flame. Still don't think it's smart to do that in the car-park though

bloodline

Settler
Feb 18, 2005
England
Well done Steve, I was sure you would get there you must get down soon and we can forage for some spindles and bits. See you soon. :You_Rock_

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE